Writing motivation

Foxxy

I was wondering for those who write I was wondering what you use for motivation?

Sometime I just don't feel like it, but I want to do it so I can finish my stories. But I just don,t feel like it those day, so I was wondering how others find the will to do it?

Honestly, I just have random "sparks of creativity" and those sparks will vary on how long they last. Sometimes its a few hours and sometimes only a few minutes. On days where I have nothing to do or worry about, I feel more inclined to write, especially if I don't feel like playing video games. If I'm in the mood for gaming, I have to get that all out of my system first before I write and sometimes I'll be lucky enough that a certain moment in the game inspires me to write something.

The Witcher 3 has sooo many story beats and moments that make me think "I wanna write something like that someday". So I figure the only way I'll get to a point where I can write something as epic, is if I keep practicing and working on my writing

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

If I'm mid project, I brute force my way to the finish line. If I"m between projects and looking for something, I'll try to consume a bunch of other art for inspiration, be it music, books, movies, etc. I do better with horror, so that's where I tend to go.

If I'm really, really not feeling it, I'll go back and reread an old Stephen King book. He fucking makes me want to write so bad. Or at least, most of his books do.

• 1 month later...

Sit down and set a timer for an hour. Now just start writing whatever enters your head. Don't worry about grammar, spelling, structure, or even if it makes sense. Just get whatever pops into your head out onto paper. Don't stop until that timer goes off. Now a lot of what you've written will be trash but you'll have something to think about and build on, and at least you won't be staring at a blank page.