The Consumerism Thread

Vae

9 minutes ago, galaxy-meow said:

Found this lovely bag at Gamestop on sale for $25 (and while i was there i also bought lego harry potter for the wii ;p )

1ff5_old_book_messenger_bag.jpg

I would totally buy a bag like that (and alter it to suit my tastes) but it's pretty cute.

question about GameStop in America: are they ever attached to hobby shops? More and more around here they are expanding ours out with a second brand to sell all their knick knacks. (well it's EB Games here but the parent company is the same I believe) 

• Like 2

Just now, Liovaire said:

I would totally buy a bag like that (and alter it to suit my tastes) but it's pretty cute.

question about GameStop in America: are they ever attached to hobby shops? More and more around here they are expanding ours out with a second brand to sell all their knick knacks. (well it's EB Games here but the parent company is the same I believe) 

Nope, 100% video james.

21 minutes ago, Liovaire said:

Here's where it's originally from if you want it: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1ff5/?srp=2#opi2236710340

Knick knacks? I know my local Gamestop sells tablets now (probably used). They definitely have more non-game items (as in not game discs/cartridges), like blind bags, figures, toys, and plush, but they're still mostly game themed (like the Link Figma or Pokemon plushies).

valium_advert1.jpg

I just got my prescription filled for these. $ 20 for 180 generic. I have never had the name brand, with the cut out 'V', that looks like a heart, kinda like candy, though.

Odd, it's among the few things that seem to have helped with TMJ/facial pain, as well as the tension/muscle spasms that cause this. And among the few psych meds that doesn't make me feel weird/blank, with loss of sex drive, and all that, like the SSRI class. Yet it's an oddly vilified substance, it seems; sometimes, I almost detect the pharmacist giving me funny looks, but, whatever!

There was a sale and I bought a very sexy stripy top from Pretty Green

I'm a huge fan of the brand. It was set up by a music megastar from the band Oasis, and all the clothing is inspired by fashion born from the music industry

If anyone sees you wearing the label and they know about the Indie music scene, it makes you mega cool. Because they know. And so do you.

C6GMU95649081-BURGUN-REDMOND-LS-GRANDAD-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

There was a sale and I bought a very sexy stripy top from Pretty Green

I'm a huge fan of the brand. It was set up by a music megastar from the band Oasis, and all the clothing is inspired by fashion born from the music industry

If anyone sees you wearing the label and they know about the Indie music scene, it makes you mega cool. Because they know. And so do you.

[Striped shirt]

Oh la la!

• Like 1

https://www.ttcshop.ca/collections/posters/products/ttc-042

ART_03_TTCCORC24489_TTC_Retro_Poster_Subway_Map_1024x1024.jpg

Yes, really.  In fact I'm going for a vintage transit theme for the wall in my dining area.  I'll get a second TTC vintage poster and a Union Station sign once they release it. :) 

Except I ordered it a week ago and it hasn't shipped yet!  What's the deal TTC!?  I don't need your merch to be as delayed as a train during signal issues!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Old tablet died.
New tablet bought.

intuos-art-medium-black-6.jpg

It's about $100 more than my last drawing tablet (at $180) because I'm opting for a medium this time,
but I desperately needed an upgrade anyway.

Also got a protective case for it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vae said:

Old tablet died.
New tablet bought.

intuos-art-medium-black-6.jpg

It's about $100 more than my last drawing tablet (at $180) because I'm opting for a medium this time,
but I desperately needed an upgrade anyway.

Also got a protective case for it.

I have that tablet, except it's a small one because poor.

I really like it, the drivers tend to disappear at the worst times, but I've heard that that's a common problem with a lot of tablets.

I've kinda been spoiling myself recently by purchasing a few goodies. On top of getting FFXV a few weeks back, I also got a wicked Logitech speaker system (osu is gonna sound so BEASTTT) and a controller for my computer. But my biggest buy today was .. A PHONE! Haven't had one since high-school, and that was only a crummy indestructible flip one. This baby is my pride and joy now:

XsofOIB.jpg

• Like 4

I found this little beauty in a £1 shop (that's about... uh... ok, come to think of it that's about $1 right now, thank you Brexit...) and believe me, I wasn't expecting it to be half as good. But it was. Half as good as I was expecting that is.

Now don't get me wrong, I was not expecting a good movie. I wanted a BAD movie, and boy did I get my money's worth! I mean, where to star? The script is abysmal. The jokes are at best the clumsiest attempt at absurdist humour, and at worst are complete non-sequiturs that don't even make sense, let alone make you laugh. The prince's 'romantic' banter with Cinderella in the moonlight makes it sound like he's staring at her breasts - completely unintentionally, I'm sure! Even if the script was good, the voice acting is pretty bad and the comedic timing is worse. Camera work is likewise shoddy, with poorly-arranged, poorly-lit scenes that have no dramatic impact at all. The 'action' scenes are slow-moving to say the least, and it doesn't help that they're accompanied by what sounds like a Mariachi band playing songs from their hit album, 'Music to Siesta To', which makes everything seem to be moving even slower. There aren't even any sound effects when people get punched and the fighting is even less convincing than WWE. You'd think that they'd be able to make it look way better when you think that no real actors could get hurt.

...oh, except of course that almost all of the action is mo-cap of course. Pretty good mo-cap in places actually, but the facial animations destroy any illusion of realism and the whole exercise quickly goes on a day trip to the Uncanny Valley, with plenty of baloney sandwiches for the picnic.

And yet...

*sigh*

Somebody loved this movie. Somebody loved it enough to make sets that, while poorly lit and poorly shot, are actually pretty impressive. Somebody made some really nice, if slightly too real, anthropomorphic cowboys and cowgirls in a wide variety of interesting species. If you think of the average Furry poster pin-up gal as compared to, say, Minnie Mouse, then these models do the same thing for Disney Pixar. Beautifully made and realised, but animated too much like real people leaving you with a somewhat uncomfortable sensation that you're watching some kind of fever dream. At rare moments, when the camera was accidentally where it should be for a change and the character poses were neutral enough to not look too human, there were some really beautiful shots. it's just a shame you have to pause the movie at exactly the right moment to appreciate them.

And don't get me started on the concept! Cinderella as a cowgirl in the wild west populated by animals? "I will marry the girl who lost this tooth for me!" Yes, you read it right, the glass slipper is a tooth that Cinderella lost in a badly choreographed bar fight. And where the heck they got the Mexican ape bandits living on a crashed pirate ship in the middle of the desert I do not know!

All in all I've had my money's worth. I just wish I could meet the people that made the character models, give them a hug and tell them that somebody at least appreciated their work. If only it hadn't been forced into this crapfest of a shitty movie.

IMG_1594.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...