The Consumerism Thread

Vae

I've bought a lot recently.

45v6B17.jpg

I got this cup at the thrift store a few days ago for a whopping 31 cents.

gEXknXu.jpg

Then when I went to Chuck E. Cheese a week or two ago, I got this plush of Mr. Munch, and a shirt, as seen below.

RVOS9t0.jpg

(shirt; ft. foot)

g529S0a.jpg

I ordered a copy of my favorite book off of Amazon, and the next thing I bought is under it.

KSJZkPs.jpg

This is perfection. In mask form.

Xe2luOv.jpg

Finally, I got this cute little frog wallet/coin purse off of Amazon as well.

In case no one has noticed by my recent posts, I've gotten back into Transformers recently. Bought some new toys yesterday!

...Well, new-to-me. Been wanting Oil Slick (left) for years. And I technically already have Longarm (right), but in a different color (his other form looks better in purple). Now I can display both forms in the color that looks best on them!

/nerd rambles

dRzRbl6.jpg

• Like 3

Bought some more Transformers today, because I have a problem. :v
But really, I've been wanting most of these guys for years, so I'm pretty excited to have them now.

New guys are Jetstorm, Jetfire (Twins who can form one larger robot, it's neat!)
A tiny Grimlock (The green dino, he's so small and cute!)
Soundwave (the blue van), and Laserbeak (the guitar).

I've already had the purple guy for years, I mentioned him in my last post here.
And the two from the previous pic are here again, Oil Slick is now in robot form. (Love those claws.)

2uej3G2.jpg

...I also bought a cute little Soundwave about the same size as Grimlock, but... I can't seem to find him. I'm seriously confused as to where he went.

Also not pictured are a few buttons I bought for a buck each: A Decepticon logo, Baymax's face, and a Nuka-Cola pin (I don't play Fallout- I just liked the look of it.) I also picked up a PS1 memory card so I could play PS1 stuff on my PS2.

• Like 1

I had a bunch of one doller bills that were making it hard to close my wallet so I went and bought some cards (I dont actually play the card game but its pokemon) and a steam card for $20 that I plan to use to buy night in the woods.

17903677_1077058605733081_7324866234580488470_n.thumb.jpg.146af11720acc66526a95e0fa839b28e.jpg

I also thought about getting stardew valley but the price was to high and I wasnt sure enough that I would enjoy it.

Samsung Galaxy J7(2016) Dual J7108 4G 16GB Gold

58efddeda6075_41aagCLjL.jpg.38c4036f34a4dd08508cbd585a8d9499.jpg

$203.21 (not including shipping, tax, and other shit).

I've been wanting the J7 for a while now, but I couldn't find one on Amazon with a US warranty and that has a reasonable price-spec ratio. The one from my carrier (MetroPCS) is around $150-$180 with the same specs, and it comes with a warranty. The difference between this one and other international models is, this Chinese/HK variant has 3gb of ram as opposed to 2gb on the other models, and a full HD display, but, it does not support LTE here in the US, which is quite a let down, since LTE is one of the reasons I went with the S5 recently (not going to go into whole the story of why I want to switch phones again), however, I just hope that despite being a Chinese phone, it will still have software optimization, support, and flexibility, so I don't have to go through hell trying to get this phone to work properly with anything. Apparently, there are two versions of this model, the Chinese one (as shown in the picture), and the Hong Kong one, which is more "international-friendly" from what I've read, and since I bought directly from Amazon, I'm expecting them to be more conscious about shipping me one that works better in my region, which would be the latter.

If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KPCEQPC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh, I could have sworn I had more posts in here between my previous one and today.
Welp. Time for a long post, then. :V
A few weeks back, I bought a figure of my current favorite Transformers character, Thunderhoof. I was real excited to get it because I didn't expect to find one at the store. (And like I said, he's my favorite!)
tpLK245.jpg

...I had actually ordered a smaller figure of the same guy earlier that week, so later that week, it arrived.
K3HboV9.jpg
(He tiny.)

I don't normally get more than one figure of the same character from the same series, but I figured since I already had two, what's the harm in getting a couple more?
Well...
(Long post with pics ahead- Be forewarned. :v)

hYoQzvh.jpg

45iwZWk.jpg

...I kiiiinda-sorta ended up getting them all.
The two with teal on their chests (Biggest one and the one on the far right) are from Japan. The rest are American.
The weird-looking ones on the far left in the first pic and the second from the left in the second pic are actually McDonald's toys. :u (They're two separate toys that don't transform. Kinda just got them for completion's sake, haha.)
The McDonald's tractor toy is surprisingly sturdy, though... The package looked like this when I got it. Turns out my brother had run it over with his car (by accident, of course). It got a few stress marks and a broken rear wheel (not seen from this angle, but you can see some light-colored stress marks on the blue plastic around the front wheel), but surprisingly it doesn't look as bad as I expected from seeing the smashed box. The firing mechanism for its projectile still works, too.
...My brother's still getting me a replacement, though. I'll be using this one to practice repainting figures, since that's a thing I'd like to learn to do.

The first two I got actually have the most articulation/poseability, which I like. Even the small one is surprisingly poseable, even though the elbows don't bend.
The Japanese ones are pretty and more show-accurate in coloration, but not very articulated. Super simple to transform (they're actually called "One-Step Changers"), but a little bit fiddly with the alignment sometimes.
The McDonald's ones are just about as poseable as you might expect. :V Though one arm moves on the robot one, as well as the head. I was surprised to find that his waist rotates, too.
The two tiny figurines don't move at all.

Oh, and the two tiny figures in the first pic each came with a card. The art on each card matches the pose of the figure it came with. (Or is it the figures that match the cards?)
WSQeJQ8.jpg

I really like them.
They're nice and thick, kinda surprising for something that came packaged with little blind-bag figures. (Well, they were supposed to be blind-bag... I'm just impatient and ordered ones that were opened already.)
The art on the left is what they put on the packaging for pretty much all of Thunderhoof's figures. The one on the right, I've never seen anywhere else. Can't even seem to find a digital version of it online. I really like it, though!
I just find it kind of funny how that art and two of the toys have guns, even though he doesn't have one in the show (as far as I know, at least).

ANYWAYS. 
Yes, these are the most recent things I've bought for myself. Sorry for the nerd-rambling, I'm just kind of excited over my dumb little plastic robots. :v

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

tumblr_orc60sFYFe1sonvd0o1-2.png.a5fd5142d48b18b3f4fce0c9c514ac9d.png

A waterproof Timex Expedition for swimming. Taken it into the water a few days already. Works good. ($35)

999999-889834113113_1.thumb.jpg.771fcf870f33ce247663760b1348aae5.jpg

A new, nice lounging raft, because the cheap one I got before kept getting holes in it.
Also has quick inflate / deflate valves, which is a fucking GODSEND compared to what I'm used to dealing with. ($14)

... A fucking fidget spinner

61cmRMvWfSL._SX355_.jpg

I know it's just a trending and overhyped fad that will pass in time but these feel so good to fiddle with. Also, I swear these things are designed to break ASAP. Mine got loose on the day one I bought it. If it completely breaks, I am not going to buy another... Probably. No matter how addictive they are. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Snagged said:

... A fucking fidget spinner

61cmRMvWfSL._SX355_.jpg

I know it's just a trending and overhyped fad that will pass in time but these feel so good to fiddle with. Also, I swear these things are designed to break ASAP. Mine got loose on the day one I bought it. If it completely breaks, I am not going to buy another... Probably. No matter how addictive they are. 

1497071187497.thumb.jpg.e0832bc202b5ddea6c61f7d7d2fe14c0.jpg

• Like 2

There have been worse fads than fidget spinners. At least they're generally harmless and unlikely to cause broken windows or serious injuries like most fads. I have a small collection because they help me concentrate. The only thing I hate is that the ones you see on the high street are always the poor-quality ones. If you want a good one, you have to go to Amazon.

Here's one of mine:

item_XL_22151872_29497034.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up Assetto Corsa from the Steam Summer Sale along with a couple of the vehicle packs. Now if only I had a race wheel so I could enjoy the sim to the fullest. Smaller cars like the Miata or AE86 are easily tamed with a controller, but heavier and/or more powerful rides like Lamborghinis and Porsches are a lot more difficult to toss around.

Well now, here's a nice little story.

It's my stepdad's birthday soon and as a gift we were all going to get him a steam train driving experience, so we've been looking around for something to go with it that's train-related, so he's got something to remember the day by. I popped into a local antique shop to look for a train driver's cap or guard's uniform, something of that nature, and the owner produced this lovely replica of the Golden Spike, a ceremonial last-nail used when finishing a railroad. It seemed just too perfect:

IMG_1928.JPG.99d4a4a41a4f43a33174ebc94c88fec2.JPG

Looks lovely, doesn't it? They used ones similar to these for finishing certain train lines in the USA and I'm pretty sure that they copied the idea here in the UK. This one isn't a replica of the USA ones obviously because it doesn't have the engravings on it. It's a little bit old and some of the plating is wearing away, brass over iron the man in the shop said. So I snapped it up for £10 (about $12 I think right now)

Well, just for a giggle I slapped a magnet on it.

It didn't stick.

Lots of metals aren't magnetic though, you know, so that doesn't prove much. I took a closer look. In places you can see the core metal showing through and it's a greyish-white metal. Tin maybe? Rather heavy for tin though. Out of curiosity I tried the 'ice test'. I dropped a lump of ice from the fridge straight onto it and it melted like butter. Now, the thing about *silver* is it conducts heat very, very well. But ah, so does copper, right? But copper isn't light grey. So maybe it's copper-plated tin? Well, that coating doesn't look like copper to me, it's too yellow, and anyway for the ice test to work the core would have to be copper, not the plating. Besides, who'd plate something in copper when it'd be cheaper to make the whole thing from copper? Anyway I shined a little exposed silver up on my polishing wheel (when I still thought it was just brass) and it doesn't shine like tin at all.

So I am increasingly of the opinion that you're looking at 285 grams of genuine gold-plated silver, worth around $140 in weight alone. And I am freaking out a little. I only wish I knew who to talk to in order to find out if this thing is genuine and, if so, what its history is!

(p.s. I know it's not the 'missing spike' as I've seen photos of that and the shape is wrong.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lucky find last weekend. I managed to pick up a second-hand macro lens for a little over half the brand new price, and it seems to be in perfect condition! Not got any good photos to share yet because Macro photography is very difficult and requires a lot of practice, plus I'm waiting for the focusing slider to arrive (most dedicated macro lenses can't be focused, only zoomed and moved back and forth). I've tested it out though and it is highly impressive. I can zoom in close enough that a single pumpkin seed fills the whole frame.

Canon_2540A002_Macro_Photo_MP_E_65mm_183

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This just came in the mail today. It’s a lamp which connects you to another person through a single touch! After having it for just a couple of hours, I’d totally recommend to those who are in a long distance relationship. 

aHYLNeD.jpg 

So the last two months or so I've been spending way too much money... In no particular order:

6e5eb686f37c4ce4adcaf1259eb1f325.png

Sigma 100-400mm lens, 829€

91TQF8kDKtL._SL1500_.jpg

Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, 120€

Ticwatch-E-Smart-Watch-Black-474108-.jpg

Ticwatch E, 127€

930329d1481725899-lesertest-quiet-silent

Be Quiet! Silent Base 600, 90€ (really nice case, highly recommended :) )

1126920_3__8743897-3.jpg

Zotac 1050 Ti Mini, 140€

Sennheiser-PXC-550-wireless-noise-cancel

Sennheiser PXC 550, 285€ (I love them, they are amazing...)

Also new clothes for a total of about 200€.

Edit:

19-117-726-Z01.jpg

300€. I need to stop DX

• 5 months later...