Has this ever happened before in fiction?

DevilishlyHandsome49

Say there's a medieval fantasy series and all the stories, whether it be a game, movie, or book, took place in that specific era. Has there ever been a case where the creator takes that universe and then makes a story of how life is in a modern day setting?

For example: How would the world of Elder Scrolls be like in modern day. if magic and technology combined to make more magnificent inventions? Would there even be a modern day Elder Scrolls or would the universe always be in a medieval/viking like setting?

fanfiction?

Plenty of high school AU fanfics written by teens with the original characters.

Google search: Naruto high school AU

68,321,301,000 results found.

No...no naruto. Please... :(

That's exactly what Romeo + Juliet was. Also it has John Leguizamo running around shooting people in the face while screaming comically out-of-place Shakespeare quotes which automatically makes it worth watching.

Oh I remember that film. Was shown in English class and it was so cheesy to me.

Ha HA! I knew being a book worm would come in handy some day,

I have and read a book that is kinda like you described almost to the Tee. A book called "The wizard of Camelot" by Simon Hawke [ISBN 0-446-36242-5] basically takes the entire myth of King Arthur's court wizard Merlin and puts him into pre-depression England. It is fairly well written even goes into how the magic works but is mainly aimed at young adults due to its content.

Another more out there book is "The outback stars" by Sandra McDonald [ISBN 978-0-7653-5555-3] this is more into the future but is more down to earth even tho it's core story revolves around the fact Australia colonized space & butchers Aboriginal beliefs . But reader beware for most of the first half of the book the author forgot they were writing a story and mostly told the day to day life of the character on a space ship.

Hopefully this IS what you're looking for / wondering about and I didn't go off on a tangent again (I do that too often).

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, but reading them, I may have worded the question slightly wrong. Conker and Wolf got close to what I was talking about

I guess its like (and sorry for using Elder Scrolls again as an example) say the Greybeards and dragons were real, would they still exists thousands of years later, still relevant to a world that has technology to surpass their abilities? Are dragons still creatures to be feared or have they become domesticated or turned into weapons controlled by people? That sort of thing

I think that movie, the Sorcerer's Apprentice may have done something like that, with Merlin still being alive in the 2000's

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, but reading them, I may have worded the question slightly wrong. Conker and Wolf got close to what I was talking about

I guess its like (and sorry for using Elder Scrolls again as an example) say the Greybeards and dragons were real, would they still exists thousands of years later, still relevant to a world that has technology to surpass their abilities? Are dragons still creatures to be feared or have they become domesticated or turned into weapons controlled by people? That sort of thing

I think that movie, the Sorcerer's Apprentice may have done something like that, with Merlin still being alive in the 2000's

I believe some of the Dragonriders of Pern books mix technology with fantasy, but that all takes place on a different planet far in the future, so I dunno if it's what you're looking for.

Assuming this is a setting you want to work with in some way, be it a story or whatever, then just do it, IMO. All ideas have been done more or less to death, but that shouldn't stop you. It's all about the execution.

Plus, the fact that we seem to be having problems picking specific media that fits your criteria means there's room for more of it.

• Like 1

I believe some of the Dragonriders of Pern books mix technology with fantasy, but that all takes place on a different planet far in the future, so I dunno if it's what you're looking for.

Assuming this is a setting you want to work with in some way, be it a story or whatever, then just do it, IMO. All ideas have been done more or less to death, but that shouldn't stop you. It's all about the execution.

Plus, the fact that we seem to be having problems picking specific media that fits your criteria means there's room for more of it.

Well I never actually thought of writing something like that until you brought it up haha, so thanks for that ;3

i guess I was more interested in just finding a series that does that so I could read it or look into just for curiosity's sake