I'm getting laid off tomorrow! :( Job offers already coming in!

AshleyAshes

I worked here for the last 14 months but the company is out of work for me to do so I'm getting laid off.  I was given 2 weeks notice and tomorrow is my last day.  It's all good terms, I'm even welcome to return in three months when the company has more work to do.  Sitting around on unemployment insurance for three months was not something I was keen on so I hit the pavement and went looking for new jobs at larger companies.  Bam, I already have one offer on the table! :D  With like, STUFF after six months, benefits, and life insurance and all sorts of grown up stuff!  What's a 401k?  I think I might get one of those even!  I should Google that. Still waiting on them to email me the terms for that offer!  Higher pay, over time, and more hours.  Even at their regular 50hrs a week, I'll be making $287 more per week before tax, not even including when I'll be working 60+hrs a week sometimes.  Cha-ching!

I haven't accepted the offer just yet, there's a second place that might make an offer and I want to choose wisely.  However I think that both places might make nearly identical offers.

It's awesome to hear that you found work so quickly AND better work than your previous job. I'd say that you were lucky but you've obviously shown to someone that you have good work ethic and are worth hiring.

401k is where your employer funds your retirement plan.

Not entirely accurate. It's a self-funded pre-tax plan, meaning the employee makes contributions of a set level (with an annual limit that is established each year by the IRS) that are deducted by the employer from the paycheck, then placed into a plan fund. An advantage of this plan type is that the employer has the option to contribute into the employee's fund without it counting against the limit set by the IRS. Many will match your contributions, dollar for dollar, up to a certain percentage. While many employers do this, it is an option and not an obligation.

Edited by Ginpanther
added clarification that it's a pre-tax plan

Apparently there are not 401k's here in Canada. The problem of trying to read employment specifics from a website for an international company. :D

It's gonna be harder to leave your employer the larger the contributions.

If I'm not mistaken. employers can withhold 20% and 10% for the bank for withdrawing OR roll over your 401K.

It's gonna be harder to leave your employer the larger the contributions.

If I'm not mistaken. employers can withhold 20% and 10% for the bank for withdrawing OR roll over your 401K.

I really need to get my hands ont eh contract terms and sort out all these details. xD

It's another one of those companies abandoning California for superior tax brakes here in Canada.

It's another one of those companies abandoning California for superior tax brakes here in Canada.

Ah, I forgot you're north of the border. Everything I said above is now subject to the "Grain of salt" rule because I'm only familiar with US law for 401k plans. You've already said you're working on getting the terms of the contract and you'll be able to Google for what's relevant to your area, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ah, I forgot you're north of the border. Everything I said above is now subject to the "Grain of salt" rule because I'm only familiar with US law for 401k plans. You've already said you're working on getting the terms of the contract and you'll be able to Google for what's relevant to your area, I'm sure you'll be fine.

But canadians are nice people xD

Easier to milk money from them... huhuhuhu...

Outsourcing jobs makes me sad. Seeing Americans work in retail is painful

Don't worry, they shipped all the Americans at the company to Canada as well.  Like, literally, a large portion of the staff and basically all the higher ups are Americans. :P

Or should I say... MY OFFICE IS FULL OF IMMIGRANTS!  ESCAPING 15 YEARS OF MILITARY CONFLICT!  WITH THEIR STRANGE CUSTOMS AND THANKS GIVING IN THE WRONG MONTH.  IMMIGRANTS FILLING THIS NATION!

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

well hook me up sugar daddy

i want some cha-CHING

Screw you, I need legos!

Actually, more seriously, while this is unquestionably more money, I am concerned how it'll hit my budget.  Going from 8hr days to 10hr days (And sometimes 12hr days) will decrease how often I eat at home, and more dining out while at work means more money spent.  I'll need to rework my budget spread sheet once I get a paycheque in,

Apparently there are not 401k's here in Canada. The problem of trying to read employment specifics from a website for an international company. :D

Congrats on the new job!  A 401k is the US equivalent of a Canadian self directed "defined contribution" pension plan.   Not as good as a corporate "defined benefit" plan, but far, far superior to the CPP.  Since your company offers some form of pension plan, you wont likely be impacted by the stupidity that Wynn is introducing with the new mandatory Ontario Pension Plan for companies that don't offer pensions. 

I know that when the OPP is introduced, we'll be laying off (firing actually) employees to cover the expense of the Ontario plan.

Offer accepted.  I will now be employed in the process of converting major films that were shot in 2D to 3D.  (Tip: Most '3D' movies you see in theaters, were not shot in 3D, but converted by companies like this.)  Also it seems that the benefits kick in in 3 months, not 6. It'll be interesting to see what supplementary health benefits I get since my nation has public health care.

To be clear, I'm actually kinda overwhelmed by all this 'Successful Adult' stuff.  So I'm going to spend the weekend eating Candy and watching The Simpsons Tree House of Horrors episodes with friends. D:

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

Also it seems that the benefits kick in in 3 months, not 6. It'll be interesting to see what supplementary health benefits I get since my nation has public health care.

Dental, eye, drug plan and physio are the usual top ups.  See if the plan has a an HRA (health reimbursement account) which basically lets you flow extra money from things you'll never use (like say....braces for your kids or maternity related stuff) to things that you might need more often, depending on your needs. For example, now that we don't need maternity  stuff, my mate flows the unused funds to physio for her sports related injuries.

Dental, eye, drug plan and physio are the usual top ups.  See if the plan has a an HRA (health reimbursement account) which basically lets you flow extra money from things you'll never use (like say....braces for your kids or maternity related stuff) to things that you might need more often, depending on your needs. For example, now that we don't need maternity  stuff, my mate flows the unused funds to physio for her sports related injuries.

Need to get a doctors note for shawarma prescription...

Edited by AshleyAshes

And extra refills of garlic sauce! Can't get enough anti-oxidants.

"Doctor said I have to eat shawarma and that if i don't eat, I could DIE."
"I don't think that makes it a medication..."
"It will keep me from DIEING!"

"Yeah but..."
"Do you want me to die in your office because you denied me a prescription?  No?  I thought not.  So if you'll excuse me, I need me a chicken shawarma wrap for free, minus the deductible ...BEFORE I DIE." 

they gave you two-weeks notice?

all i've ever seen was the general foreman/superintendent shooting out names right after the morning safety meeting or a bunch of guys getting called to the lunch trailer at the end of the day to ship them down the road...

or hearing from people that got phoned up on days off to say "don't bother coming back to work..." oh wait, that one happened to me...

or guys that fly in from the other side of the country to be told "didn't we tell you you're laid-off?"

there's even been folk that just showed up to start their first day on the job that have been told to fuck off back home...

and a pile of others that passed their temporary foreign worker replacements coming in off the bus while they were on their way out of the gate. that one stirred the shit-pot up pretty good.

Edited by Wrecker

I wish it was like that, that sounds, well, like it should be.

It's actually pretty normal for construction, I have just never heard about an employer preparing notice in regard to a forthcoming layoff... Construction is the only field of work I've been in, and it sounds so crazy to me to receive notice over something like that. I would take a guess and imagine you've done a hell of a job, and your former employer still wants you to succeed, which doesn't surprise me after reading your posts... You're not stupid, and you've got a lot ahead of you.

For this, if you're the contractor, you get paid a fucking pile, but the moment something goes just a little tiny bit awry, fucking see ya! They lay you off in the shittiest ways, too. They've locked us out of our trailers with all our work gear, told us to jump on a plane home and said we'll send all your stuff  there... This is after we all woke up in the morning with a note under our door telling us not to go to work tomorrow because we were done.... LIKE FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES. They had security monitoring the entire plant, not letting anybody through, when all of our gear for work - most of which was shit that we paid for - was sitting in our trailers. Nope, we couldn't go get any of it. FUCKITY FUCK that made me mad.

Edited by Wrecker

While at my first day at my new job, where my supervisor is a chick with Sailor Moon stickers on her ID badge, purple hair, and sits on a giant yoga ball thing instead of a desk chair, I had to turn down an interview for a different job and even an OFFER from yet another job.  Someone contact the universe, explain to it that I'm a millennial and shit isn't supposed to work this way.  It's weirding me out, yo.