What do you drive?

Azu

8 minutes ago, U-235 said:

So If I'm hearing you right, Suburu's last forever and are pretty good cars to invest into?

If well cared for by a mechanically inclined owner and the Haynes book, pretty much.

I wasn't as kind as I needed to be to the transmission, treating it like a closed system when it isn't.  Also, in my stupider youth, I burned out enough clutches to make my family a bit skittish with me near a stick, which is why I have an auto while the rest of my family's Subies are sticks.

That said, it's still possible for them to fail in catastrophic ways.  At 195,000 miles, the water pump seized, and the symptom of its immanent failure was misdiagnosed.  On Outbacks, it's driven by the back side of the timing belt, and when it seized, it got the belt so hot it melted the bearing cover of one of the idler pulleys.  The bearings fell out, slacking the belt, and yet it still kept the crank and cams timed well enough to just walk off and melt a hole right through the front of the timing belt housing cover.  The engine didn't quit until it came completely off a pulley and halfway out of the entire housing.  The belt replacement was fine, but the replacement pulleys and and housing cover were a bit of a pain in the wallet.  Also, unbelievably thankfully, the engine was designed to make it impossible for a piston to hit a fully open valve.

1 minute ago, ArielMT said:

If well cared for by a mechanically inclined owner and the Haynes book, pretty much.

I wasn't as kind as I needed to be to the transmission, treating it like a closed system when it isn't.  Also, in my stupider youth, I burned out enough clutches to make my family a bit skittish with me near a stick, which is why I have an auto while the rest of my family's Subies are sticks.

That said, it's still possible for them to fail in catastrophic ways.  At 195,000 miles, the water pump seized, and the symptom of its immanent failure was misdiagnosed.  On Outbacks, it's driven by the back side of the timing belt, and when it seized, it got the belt so hot it melted the bearing cover of one of the idler pulleys.  The bearings fell out, slacking the belt, and yet it still kept the crank and cams timed well enough to just walk off and melt a hole right through the front of the timing belt housing cover.  The engine didn't quit until it came completely off a pulley and halfway out of the entire housing.  The belt replacement was fine, but the replacement pulleys and and housing cover were a bit of a pain in the wallet.  Also, unbelievably thankfully, the engine was designed to make it impossible for a piston to hit a fully open valve.

Wow, well it's amazing it's still kicking despite all that. The Toyota I'm driving right now has 268,000 on it at the moment. I'm thinking about a Suburu WRX because I just loved driving it and I want a manual pretty badly. But in addition to that, those cars just seem to keep going as long as Toyota's and I want something I can have fun in that won't need repairs every 20,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2017 at 2:42 PM, phaolfal said:

thanks. its a 2013 skoda octavia elegance. 2L diesel.

A skoda? I'm assuming that's a European brand, possibly somewhere in Scandinavia? Sorry if I sound totally arrogant. I'm an American with no prior knowledge on it. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2017 at 2:22 AM, U-235 said:

A skoda? I'm assuming that's a European brand, possibly somewhere in Scandinavia? Sorry if I sound totally arrogant. I'm an American with no prior knowledge on it. 

Yeah skoda is European. Its a Czech car. Used to have a really bad reputation but they are actually quite good now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a few........ 

1. 1973 Lincoln Continental, built 460cu in engine, c6 3-speed..
  2. 1967 Lincoln Continental coupe, stock 462cu in, early c6 3-speed.
  3. 1988 Lincoln Town Car (one step down from a Signature Series), 5.0L, 4-speed.
  4. 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT 4-speed stick, v6 2.8L.

These are my current cars...I've had about 20 different 70's and earlier cars...and a ton of 80s+ cars. Particularly a fan of Lincoln, Buick, and Pontiac. My daily driver is a clean '88 Town Car (All options) pictured below, and sometimes I drive my black '85 Fiero GT (Built the engine and trans) pictured below as my daily too. I go between both a lot.

20729327_10213182032561590_7717995172796640267_n (1).jpg

FB_IMG_1471663318850.jpg

IMG_20161113_172440.jpg

IMG_20170208_165950.jpg