Requesting Critiques on New Style

Chrysocyon

So it's been a long time since I last did a digital, full-body, shaded picture, and was wanting some input on it.  I used to go for a more textured, lineless style, but I've recently enjoyed working in a more comic book-esque style.  Here's my latest piece with an older one for comparison.  What do you think?  Any issues, things you like/don't like about the style, things I've improved on, things I've gotten worse at, etc.

FusXl0Z.jpg1323208373.brachyurus_capoeira.jpg

I think the new style shows massive improvement! I like the use of outlines and general comic book feel; it makes it pop! Shading is really well done. Both images have a very nice fur effect but the new style feels more refined and directed. Blending between the sets of fur color is much smoother in the new one and I think that helps a lot. Figure proportions also appears to improved quite well!

There are only 2 things that I can think to say to improve on the new image. The back of the head/neck feels flatter than the rest of the image. The left leg seems oddly positioned.

Late reply, but thanks for the critique!

There are only 2 things that I can think to say to improve on the new image. The back of the head/neck feels flatter than the rest of the image. The left leg seems oddly positioned.

Yeah, he's supposed to have a big floofy mane, but I always mess it up and make his head look weird. ;w; I think it's too many years of drawing spiky haired animu drawings.

And making digitigrade legs seem balanced is something that I also struggle with, but I thought I did alright here.  I think I'll work on that some more, too, then.  It's one of those aesthetics that I just can't live without in my art.