How does I social media?

AyGee

I feel invisible. :<

And I realize plenty of times that the reason I feel so invisible is because I typically only post stuff in one or two places, when I'm posting at all.  I'd like to figure out how to branch out and connect with more people, but when the lesson of my life has been 'keep your head down, lest someone take an axe to it,' it's kind of hard to get into the mentality of putting one's self out there.

So what's a good beginner's guide to networking/building connections for a particularly uninteresting bloke like myself?  Are there some places where it's easier to do it than others?  Are there good techniques for going about it that avoid making one look obnoxious?

But the whole point of social media is to be obnoxious.

Well, of course.  But my life is also governed by the 'can't get away with nuthin'' trope.  Shit like that catches up to me immediately:P

Edited by AyGee
Stupid HTML parsing

I'd like to know the answer to this, as well.  I have a Tumblr and a Twitter, but I only use them to post my drawings and occasional status updates.  I've only amassed five followers on each.

Obviously I can't speak from experience, but the trick to social media seems to be quantity over quality and reblogging/commenting on popular people's stuff as much as possible, which seems pretty obnoxious to me.

Also, loads of memes and gifs, as many as possible and then some more.

Personally, I feel most social media is completely useless. People just post the things and beliefs they like in their own little echo chamber. Memes in particular and such are rampant on Facebook. Nearly everyone I know uses Facebook like it's a Pinterest board and doesn't try to reach out to other people in a way that's sincere.

If you want to network, meet people in person and learn to work a room. Try looking up a Meetup.com event, even for simple things like hobbies and things you like. It's the toughest route to take but you'll gain a lot more by putting yourself out there in the world rather than trying to play the Tumblr game. 

Edited by RestlessDreamer
  • Like 1

I'm relatively indifferent to social media. The only bad experience I've had was with Twitter.

Twitter for furs is only good if you're an artist or someone of importance within the community, otherwise good luck getting any attention. It feels like a popularity contest, and it started to grate on me after a week. My feed would just be nothing but stereotypical furry fetishy posts with far too many retweets and favorites. It made me feel a little ashamed.

I make friends by searching for furs with similar interests to me. For example, you can join the FurNet IRC network and join one of dozens of networks relating to a specific topic such as music, tech, gaming, etc. From there, you can easily approach or be approached by someone, and a friendship can develop from there.

I've met all my closest friends through IRC, forums and Second Life.

• Like 1

I guess I may not have articulated myself well enough, and really thinking it over this is kind of a reiteration of that 'shouting into the void' thread I made earlier.

I spend two weeks trying to gather any support for charity commissions, and there has not been a single peep on the topic.  Like...  I'd be fine if there was any response whatsoever, like 'oh, I'd love to, but I don't have/don't wanna spend the money.'  Hell... I'll take creepy comments at this point.  I've been pestering a few friends to try and signal boost me, as well as putting up repeated reminders, and I'm still met with absolute silence.

Fuck, even tell me my art is too rubbish to spend money on, even for charity, and I'll at least know not to waste the effort.

I'm trying to remain optimistic here, though, and assume that I just haven't 'clicked' with a place or means of putting any kind of word out there from a relative unknown like myself.  Is there a site or method that works better for advertising charity commissions than others?

I would suggest just talking/posting more in general, man. Comment on pictures, post in threads... Just get yourself out there and don't be a ghost.
I think maybe people might rather commission someone they know or are at least vaguely familiar with, than a person they've never really seen around much (at least in this forum setting). But maybe that's just me. I can't really speak for everyone here, though, it's just a thought.

I think I could word that better, but I'm a bit tired at the moment. My apologies if that came out weird or rude-sounding.

• Like 1