Performance or Visuals - Which do you value more?

Azu

Performance vs. Graphics - Which do you value more?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to you?

• Performance / Framerate
    • Graphics / Visuals

For me it's a mix of both, but I do buy games just because they're pretty at ultra settings, even if I won't get that magical "60fps" everyone thinks is necessary. If I have to pick one, I would have to say visuals since I have yet to buy or not buy a game based on if I can play it at 60fps. Though, in any games I can't right now no one can because of bad optimization. If I had a lower end PC I would probably need to pay more mind to performance and base buys off of that.

Edited by Kinare
  • Like 1

Visuals don't mean much to me if the picture is jerky because the framerate is dipping.

Also action games NEED steady 60 fps to keep the gameplay smooth

also jerky framerates are immersion breaking >:

Edited by Dijon
  • Like 2

Visuals don't mean much to me if the picture is jerky because the framerate is dipping.

Also action games NEED steady 60 fps to keep the gameplay smooth

also jerky framerates are immersion breaking >:

I can't really enjoy the visuals or game itself much when the performance is poor, so I definitely agree with this

Rather than the two of those, I value story highly. For me, stuff like those don't matter if the general story is shit or non-existent. Gameplay comes in at second. The  again, I like jrpg so yeah. 

From what I gather, yer kinda equating performance to framerate which I think might be confusing. I would say performance as being less of a glitchy mess/broken game rather than framerate issues. 

I'd say frame rate, I'd rather play Super Mario Brothers in 8-bit smoothly, than stagger through some shiny spectacle where I should more focused on the action.

Like seriously, am I supposed to be enjoying the pretty graphics as I wait for my next frame to load?

FUCK I'M IMPATIENT AND I'M DYING AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

Edited by Bloodshot_Eyes

Have you played the recent Complex Doom Invasion/Survival mod? I think it'd be right up your alley. It's on the TSPG Painkiller server.

I did, a little bit.  Unfortunately I haven't had much time for games recently, but I definitely need to get back into that.

I'd say frame rate, I'd rather play Super Mario Brothers in 8-bit smoothly, than stagger through some shiny spectacle where I should more focused on the action.

Like seriously, am I supposed to be enjoying the pretty graphics as I wait for my next frame to load?

FUCK I'M IMPATIENT AND I'M DYING AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

Nes games run at 30 fps 

Edited by Imperial Impact

I'd much rather have some graphics settings turned down and get smoother gameplay than have it looks better with lag. I don't really play any graphics intensive games though, GRID Autosport is the most demanding game I play and it runs/looks quite good with most settings on medium/high

But I still play cs1.6 a lot, so I don't really care about graphics all too much lol

This isn't really an issue for me anymore, but back when it was I would go for somewhere in the middle. Oftentimes I wouldn't go for the lowest graphical settings just for extra performance, but at the same time I wouldn't go all out on the graphics and have my performance plummet either. I like a nice middleground if I have to. Specifically, I like having pretty looking character models even if it affects my framerate. Having a decent amount of vision is nice too for some games, because if you can't see very far it affects how well you play the game and can even affect the feel of the world. So I like a nice middleground.

• 3 months later...

Good after, folks!

Speaking as a longtime gamer on (for the most part) cast-off and antique computer systems (and almost no consoles) up until the last ten years of my life, I know I went for better performance above better visuals and graphic settings, if I had to choose. Even a game like Borderlands 1, which barely ran at all on my last rig (retired a couple of years back and succeeded by my current one), I could see how much resource overhead was needed just to run it at a stiff, choppy rate. I've a rig now that I don't generally have to find a 'comfortable middle' compromise between those two things when I game, but it hasn't been that long that said status quo has been what it is now, for me.

-2Paw.

I can't stand graphics lag, stuttering and anything of the sort so I'll always go for optimized performance and framerate over graphics if I had to choose. Texture details, antialiasing and pretty particle effects mean nothing to me if the game runs terrible and gives me headaches.

I've run around Blighttown one too many times to desire jerkiness thank you very much.  I love pretty graphics and my computer can generally handle anything you throw at it but if it's poorly optimised I'm out xD

Edited by Zytan