TrishaCat

I don't really want to have to rewrite all this, so let's just assume you know what Undertale is already. And if you don't, I implore you to PLEASE play the demo. Its a good indication of what the game is like, albeit the game gets harder. The negotiation+schmup combat is nice.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/

Anyone been playing this? What do you think? Favorite song? Favorite boss? Favorite character? Maybe you dislike the game? I beat the game on a true pacifist run, played the unfinished hard mode, and am now going full genocide. Its time to murder everyone in this game I've come to know and love. EVERYONE.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know who Wing Dings Gaster is and what his relation to the story is? Its a mystery, even now.

Anyways, posting best boss:

Edited by Battlechili

I just played the demo for Undertale, and it's fantastic.
Completely sold me for when I upgrade my PC (believe it or not, the demo causes me lag.. this computer is TERRIBLE)

Boss music for the boss at the end of the demo is also really, really good.
And it actually felt bad winning that fight with attacking rather than any other way because I didn't (appear to) have a choice

Edited by ChaosCalix

I just played the demo for Undertale, and it's fantastic.
Completely sold me for when I upgrade my PC (believe it or not, the demo causes me lag.. this computer is TERRIBLE)

Boss music for the boss at the end of the demo is also really, really good.
And it actually felt bad winning that fight with attacking rather than any other way because I didn't (appear to) have a choice

I'm glad you liked it. Do let me know when you finally get a good computer and get it. I like seeing what people thing. But yeah, the game actually offers a lot of different options on how to play and it remembers them and comments on them too.

Ysssss, this game is so goddamn good.

And dude, please, don't do genocide.

No. I must kill everything. Don't worry though. I'm going to quit and delete all my game files after I beat Mr. Bad Times. I don't want to have to make that very bad final decision at the end of a genocide run. Also, this was cool:

YXfN1h7.gif

Goat mom is the best character.

Muffet is best.

...Okay, as actual characters go Toriel takes the cake. But Alphys is cool, and so is Sans.

Edited by Battlechili

@ChaosCalix:

You can spare every boss/monster if you go pacifist.

Oh I know. But either that's different in the demo, or I missed something very important while playing, because I didn't have the choice D:
My poor heart

I'm glad you liked it. Do let me know when you finally get a good computer and get it. I like seeing what people thing. But yeah, the game actually offers a lot of different options on how to play and it remembers them and comments on them too.

Definitely. I'm gonna unfollow this thread for the time being, though. Don't want the risk of spoilers x3

I've been listening to the music for like the past week or whatever, because it's amazing. Another Medium and Core are just... holy shit, those songs.

I need to actually play the game.
The shmup / bullet hell aspect seems right up my alley.

Edited by Vae

Oh just got the True Pacifist ending and man some of those final parts were really hard when I was bawling my eyes out.  Overall this was an amazing game with very interesting mechanics and an incredibly engaging story.  I don't think I have it in me to get the Genocide end so I think I am just going to leave my save file where it is.

Oh just got the True Pacifist ending and man some of those final parts were really hard when I was bawling my eyes out.  Overall this was an amazing game with very interesting mechanics and an incredibly engaging story.  I don't think I have it in me to get the Genocide end so I think I am just going to leave my save file where it is.

You can actually make a copy of the save file and then do it :3

Also, if you enter your character's real name you get to play through the ruins in hard mode which makes monsters from the end of the game spawn instead of the easy monsters! And the hard mode ending is hilarious :3 Or you could just look everything up on YouTube. Since you have finished the game already you wouldn't really miss out on much, especially since you don't want to kill the characters yourself. Hard mode can be played as a pacifist though. 

You can actually make a copy of the save file and then do it :3

Also, if you enter your character's real name you get to play through the ruins in hard mode which makes monsters from the end of the game spawn instead of the easy monsters! And the hard mode ending is hilarious :3 Or you could just look everything up on YouTube. Since you have finished the game already you wouldn't really miss out on much, especially since you don't want to kill the characters yourself. Hard mode can be played as a pacifist though. 

Yeah I could watch it on Youtube, but I know the game actually calls out anyone who does this.  Saying that they are worse then those who simply go for the ending themselves because at least they were willing to go through with it. 

Yeah I could watch it on Youtube, but I know the game actually calls out anyone who does this.  Saying that they are worse then those who simply go for the ending themselves because at least they were willing to go through with it. 

Fuck me... Toby really thought of everything xD

I am at sans

He's one tough skeleton. But I can beat him. I'm getting closer and closer to his defeat. Once he is defeated, I will be satisfied. I will reset the game, not going through with that scary permanent ending.

I really don't want to do a geno run,
but I really want that Sans fight.

Let a few days pass after beating pacifist so that way your connection to the characters along with the guilt of trying to restart after flowey's words both start to fade. It'll be easier then. Once that happens, just play through it all and quit immediately after beating sans. No permanent consequences, and less guilt.

Although to be honest the novelty of genocide fades quickly. Random encounter rate is super low so having to kill all enemies in each area is a drag, and most bosses are one-shot save for sans and Undyne. Neo-Mettaton should've been a full fight though. The music changed and everything. Would've been rad.

I've seen bits and pieces of the genocide run (my phone just tried to correct 'genocide' to 'herbicide', looks like it's a pacifist :p). I agree, I guess it would become a drag to kill EVERYTHING pretty quickly. But Undyne the Undying is so fucking badass on that route! :o

Joel from Vinesauce will stream a genocide run after his pacifist run. I'll just follow that instead of playing it myself :3

As for my own run, dang... It sure is hard not to cry like a little girl during the true final battle :'D 

BUT IT REFUSED

It was just too perfect... Toby really knows how to make a dramatic and sad ending that still feels like a happy ending :<

I think now it is time for some kind of opinion on the game as a whole? I think it's pretty dang close to being perfect. The storytelling and how everything comes together at the end is just flawless. All the little details everywhere, how the game utterly mindfucks you towards the end, the amazing characters, it all is just awesome. And it has the perfect length for a game like this, too! It's definitely the most creative indie game I have ever played.

My only gripe with it? The sounddesign could have been a little better. The soundtrack in itself is stunningly amazing and I am listening to it right now, and the ambient sounds are awesome as well. What I am talking about is that many of the sounds don't loop very well. Like the splashing sounds in the waterfall areas. You hear it splash twice, then there is a pretty hard and noticable break and the sound plays again. That made these areas a little... Annoying to walk through. Some of the music tracks, like the fight theme, also could have benefited from cleaner loops. I don't know if it was done on purpose to mimic older games, but to me it was a little annoying. That is a really nitpicky flaw though, it doesn't make me love the game less :3

It was just too perfect... Toby really knows how to make a dramatic and sad ending that still feels like a happy ending :<

I think now it is time for some kind of opinion on the game as a whole? I think it's pretty dang close to being perfect. The storytelling and how everything comes together at the end is just flawless. All the little details everywhere, how the game utterly mindfucks you towards the end, the amazing characters, it all is just awesome. And it has the perfect length for a game like this, too! It's definitely the most creative indie game I have ever played.

My only gripe with it? The sounddesign could have been a little better. The soundtrack in itself is stunningly amazing and I am listening to it right now, and the ambient sounds are awesome as well. What I am talking about is that many of the sounds don't loop very well. Like the splashing sounds in the waterfall areas. You hear it splash twice, then there is a pretty hard and noticable break and the sound plays again. That made these areas a little... Annoying to walk through. Some of the music tracks, like the fight theme, also could have benefited from cleaner loops. I don't know if it was done on purpose to mimic older games, but to me it was a little annoying. That is a really nitpicky flaw though, it doesn't make me love the game less :3

While I loved the heck out of the game, I think there were some parts where there were empty hallways that were longer than they needed to be, and some of the puzzles were easier than they should've been. I also don't like the main character graphic. Everyone else looks fine, but who you play as is really boring to look at, what with that blank expression and such. And while I love the characters, if someone were to play the game and hate a character, it could really make the game hard to play for them. I've seen a good many people take issue with Alphys especially, what with her constant phone calls and such.

Edited by Battlechili

Let a few days pass after beating pacifist so that way your connection to the characters along with the guilt of trying to restart after flowey's words both start to fade. It'll be easier then. Once that happens, just play through it all and quit immediately after beating sans. No permanent consequences, and less guilt.

Although to be honest the novelty of genocide fades quickly. Random encounter rate is super low so having to kill all enemies in each area is a drag, and most bosses are one-shot save for sans and Undyne. Neo-Mettaton should've been a full fight though. The music changed and everything. Would've been rad.

It's less about killing the characters, and more that the run just looks boring as shit. I mean, monsters stop spawning entirely after a certain point, most bosses die in one hit, and a lot of the BGMs lack their 'soul' so-to-speak.

I am also disappointed that Neo was so quickly taken down. It was damn funny, but it could have been better.

I found out that there are saves specifically for Undyne the Undying and Sans, though,
so I don't even have to do a geno run to enjoy those fights.

While I loved the heck out of the game, I think there were some parts where there were empty hallways that were longer than they needed to be, and some of the puzzles were easier than they should've been. I also don't like the main character graphic. Everyone else looks fine, but who you play as is really boring to look at, what with that blank expression and such. And while I love the characters, if someone were to play the game and hate a character, it could really make the game hard to play for them. I've seen a good many people take issue with Alphys especially, what with her constant phone calls and such.

These hallways made backtracking fit the secret at the very end especially annoying :P But I can easily overlook all these minor flaws. 

As for the characters, I can see how someone could find Alphys or even Papyrus annoying. But given the target audience of the game I don't think that's a big issue. 

As for the main character, I like that they look a like bland. As for the expression, is it really blank? Or is it totally badass because Frisk don't care about anything on their way? ;D

I just got the game and I'm like 30 minutes in trying to be all pacifistic and shit (since that's part of what actually interested me in it in the first place). What the fuck? Is that shit like supposed to happen?

I just finished the story for the first time, and I did it remaining fully pacifist.

I highly recommend sticking to it.

I just got the game and I'm like 30 minutes in trying to be all pacifistic and shit (since that's part of what actually interested me in it in the first place). What the fuck? Is that shit like supposed to happen?

Are you talking about the first major fight? If that's it, then yes, and you can win without fighting. Don't kill a single enemy, and just stay nice. You can do it, even during the fight. Now if Flowey made fun of you....Well...It all depends on what he said. And if its anything else...Please specify. I'm curious.

I've been killing guys because I'm bloodthirsty and impatient D:

If you're gonna be a killer you should go full psycho and kill everything

Its better that way.

If I remember correctly those were created by a Kickstarter backer X3

Muffet was also a Kickstarter backer's design ahuhuhu~

Edited by Battlechili

Are you talking about the first major fight? If that's it, then yes, and you can win without fighting. Don't kill a single enemy, and just stay nice. You can do it, even during the fight. Now if Flowey made fun of you....Well...It all depends on what he said. And if its anything else...Please specify. I'm curious.

Oh I was talking about the fight with

Toriel. I tried pretty much everything but ironically nothing worked so I figured it was scripted that you would have to kill her. Everything else though I've talked/flirted/hugged/petted my out of it.

Oh I was talking about the fight with

Hidden Content

You can win that fight without killing. Explanation in spoilers for obvious reasons.

You have to keep doing Spare, over and over and over. Eventually it will work, though it will take a lot of tries to convince her to stop fighting.

Toriel's actually your first indicator in the game that some bosses need to be defeated by unconventional means, if you want to keep up your no-kill record.

Not just the system that the encounters have taught you.

Hidden Content

Yep. This is also hinted at by one of the Froggit NPCs you can encounter along the way.

Can't remember the actual quote, but it says something to the effect of "Some enemies might not give up right away, but keep trying. Sometimes you have to spare someone more than once"