Put a limit on signature image's height?

Mayonnaise

wow clam down dude I'm not harming anyone. Ummm and FYI you should look around because shit posting has already hit this forum way before I joined. 

What are you talking about? This is a serious forum for strictly regulated discussion.

How dare you imply this forum is some kind of...shitpost central.

Edited by Kaizy
  • Like 1

Yep.
sadddwe.thumb.PNG.38b4deae8f22095e90d54f

I even clicked to edit settings, unchecked the box, rechecked the box, and hit "update preferences."
Still nothing.

I'm running Firefox, and I'm pretty sure nothing in my custom forum style is conflicting with it, because I'm not enabling / hiding anything in that code.

I think I found the solution since I had the same issue. Remove all your current ignored users, refresh the page, type the offending user manually, tick signature and click add user.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dunno

But it's absolute trash on mobile. It takes a good minute just to get to the bottom of the page.

Mobile General Chat Thread is now -1/10.

I am using commercial off-the-shelf software, something I happened to have a licence for. Perhaps the newer release will resolve some of those browsing-on-mobile issues?

• 3 months later...

If somebody has a large, obnoxious, or inappropriate signature I just block it. You can hide specific user's signatures without also ignoring their posts and stuff.

Now that I think about it though, I think it might be a good idea to maybe just have a person's signature appear once per page of replies. It's kind of redundant to have them appear under every single post.

Edited by MuttButt
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping because it's been brought up again.

We can limit the number of images in a signature as well as the maximum dimensions of each image in it.

I think one image less than 400 pixels tall is reasonable, but I want to know what the rest of you think is a reasonable limit before putting one in place.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

We can limit the number of images in a signature as well as the maximum dimensions of each image in it.

I think one image less than 400 pixels tall is reasonable, but I want to know what the rest of you think is a reasonable limit before putting one in place.

Bring back sig towers.

• Like 4

I have put a limit in place, but I am open to requests to change it.

Signatures may contain a single image, but the image will be restricted in height to 400 pixels.  This change is not retroactive, or at least it doesn't appear to me to be.

Please do not embed other media in your signature if it will cause your signature to be much taller.  If you want to embed it anyway, please wrap it in spoiler tags: "[spoiler] <content to auto-hide here> [/spoiler]".

Edit: Also, just a reminder that the rules for signature content are otherwise the same as for post content in all publicly-accessible sections.

Edited by ArielMT
Clarification

46 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

Signatures may contain a single image, but the image will be restricted in height to 400 pixels.  This change is not retroactive, or at least it doesn't appear to me to be.

Please do not embed other media in your signature if it will cause your signature to be much taller.  If you want to embed it anyway, please wrap it in spoiler tags: "

<content to auto-hide here>

".

Edit: Also, just a reminder that the rules for signature content are otherwise the same as for post content in all publicly-accessible sections.

Thank you so much

Though I think 400 in height is still a little tall for a signature. I guess its not obscene, but I would opt for bringing it down another 100 pixels in height.

3 hours ago, ArielMT said:

Or even 200 would be good! I just keep them off, but I am sometimes curious as to what people have, so I turn therm on every so often to see what they might reveal. But it tends to make the pages load slower, and also, makes things look cluttered and repetitive, so I tend to keep them off.

On 10/1/2016 at 3:10 PM, ArielMT said:

Please do not embed other media in your signature if it will cause your signature to be much taller.  If you want to embed it anyway, please wrap it in spoiler tags: "

<content to auto-hide here>

".

Bugfix: I've been informed that I made a mistake when putting the limit in place, and earlier today I fixed it.  I didn't want to put a limit on width, so I left that box blank, and I think that instead told the forum to restrict it to zero width, which obviously won't work.

6 hours ago, Cingal said:

Embed Soundcloud links are still pretty massive.

Dunno if there's much you can do about this, figured I'd just demonstrate.

Untitled.png

As I understood it, the concern was just height, not width as well.  Both themes limit the width of images and embedded elements automatically to prevent the need for horizontal scrolling.  I set the width limit absurdly high, 1920 pixels, so that the effective limit for most people would stay the width of each individual's viewing area.

What impresses me, and what I wasn't expecting, was that the height of the Soundcloud embed would be limited in the same way as for images.

Edited by ArielMT

36 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

As I understood it, the concern was just height, not width as well.

There's also the concern of browser workload; embeds like this can take their toll on load times and stability depending on how fancy your connection and device is. In addition to soundcloud songs, I've also seen people embed YouTube videos into their sigs, which seems to be even worse.

I would venture to say anything heavier than a GIF should be a no-no. 

4 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

There's also the concern of browser workload; embeds like this can take their toll on load times and stability depending on how fancy your connection and device is. In addition to soundcloud songs, I've also seen people embed YouTube videos into their sigs, which seems to be even worse.

I would venture to say anything heavier than a GIF should be a no-no. 

I agree with your main point, but I'm not finding a setting that turns off automatic embedding just for signatures, only a site-wide on/off switch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Kosha said:

I'm trying to make this image my signature, but it saying it doesn't fit in with parameters. I've double checked and it should fit in within guidelines.

Are you uploading it as an attachment, or inserting it using "insert other media" or the [/img] tag?