feeling useless

Gator

you know, that feel when your own life is in the toilet and you realize the people you care about are just as bad off and there's not a damn thing you can do for anybody, including yourself.

one person is stuck doing everything for an ungrateful family

another is living with parents who are simultaneously indulgent and abusive, one of them drunk

somebody else is hopping state to state, jobless, leaving their family behind and refusing to seek help

now i find out someone else, still a minor, has been taking adhd meds for who knows how long and experiencing all the possible negative effects... while, once again, being stuck in a shitty household with neglectful and abusive family members.

aside from talking to them when possible and listening to their problems, what can i even do?  i'm in no position to actually be helpful to anyone; i don't have my own house, a job, a car, money... anything that would be of any use.  and with the way my own life has been going, i'm running low on advice and support, too.  they can't help me and i can't help them, and nobody seems to be getting any better any time soon.  it just gets harder and harder to "hang in there" as years go by and nothing gets better for anybody.  i'm lost any more.

you have to come to terms with the fact that not everything can be helped. Not to say that you should stop trying. But Some things are beyond ability.

unfortunately, that seems to be the case.  it just gets so overwhelming; when i think i've heard the worst of it, i find out something else. 

likewise, every time i think i'm making progress, i hit another crazy roadblock and get set back to zero.  for some reason, i'm still trying, though.  i guess 'cause that's all i can do. 

Do star jumps!

Trust me on this.

:[ ok

Sometimes just being there and listening, being someones shoulder can make a major difference. Keep doing what you are doing. You are no way at all helpless. You may be helping more that you even realize. 

that's a good point.  i hope that's the case, at least.  it doesn't seem like much, but it's about all i can offer anyone.

Just don't try to work up the courage to jump in front of a car. 

Someone already started that thread. 

somebody what

where

why

what

• Like 1

Letting someone talk is one of the best things you can do for another person. I can't speak for the others in your post but by the time I've talked to you for about ten minutes I'm pretty much over the ungrateful family thing. Shit is obnoxious and sometimes life is hard to deal with, but as long as I got you I'm good. You're my bestest buddy and that's all the help you need to be for me.  

Letting someone talk is one of the best things you can do for another person. I can't speak for the others in your post but by the time I've talked to you for about ten minutes I'm pretty much over the ungrateful family thing. Shit is obnoxious and sometimes life is hard to deal with, but as long as I got you I'm good. You're my bestest buddy and that's all the help you need to be for me.  

Awwww how sweet

just to echo what's been said here, with both my friends and what they've done for me, i've found that even when things don't seem like you can make sense of them, offering the fact that you want to support them is the difference between them not seeing the point and at least trying to make it through the next day, even if it's not possible to solve the problem

difficult situations have difficult answers. being there for the process can be important

• Like 1