The Self Improvement Thread

Brass

I need to stop obsessing over my sister, I gotta cut that shit out and get my shit together. I limit myself so damn much because of her. I worry I'll bump into her on other furry sites, and I hesitated about playing Starcraft II for a long time, (only to discover it was a great game later,) because, erm... my sister was a huge fan and the thought of her made me not want to play.

How did I go so wrong? Time to stop that shit, goddamn.

I'd love to improve my shitty personality. But that won't ever be possible so my 2 options are kill myself now (not brave enough for that, if I was I'd have done it 5 years ago) or a lifetime of misery and self loathing. So it's the misery and self loathing I guess.

As for skills though I do want to get better at guitar. I'm bringing my electric back to campus with me so I can practice a bit.

It's been a year of improvements for me. I've started cooking, baking and exercising. Still working on getting my degree, I'm planning on devoting more of my free time to earning additional qualifications on top of it. 

My main objective 'of the now' is to change my outlook on life and how I think, try and permanently kick depression. Starting to feel like maybe I can trust people again. Apart from that learning some serious money management is a top priority. Living week-to-week sucks, one withheld payment and no food for me. Roll on payday, I could use a decent meal.

• Like 1

I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Teach Pokémon to understand
The power that's inside

Pokémon (Gotta catch 'em all), it's you and me
I know it's my destiny
(Pokémon!)
Ooh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Pokémon (Gotta catch 'em all), a heart so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me, and I'll teach you
Po-ké-mon!
(Gotta catch 'em all!)
Gotta catch 'em all! 

Yeah...

Ev'ry challenge along the way
With courage I will face
I will battle ev'ry day
To claim my rightful place

Come with me, the time is right
There's no better team,
Arm in arm, we'll win the fight
It's always been our dream

I know it's my destiny
(Pokémon!)
Po-ké-mon!
(Gotta catch 'em all!)
Gotta catch 'em all! 

Gotta catch 'em all!
Gotta catch 'em all!
Gotta catch 'em all!
Yeah!

I know it's my destiny
(Pokémon!)
Po-ké-mon!
(Gotta catch 'em all!)
Gotta catch 'em all!
Pokémon!

Nah, but srs I'm working on my personality a bit at the moment, and some hobbies I just started. We'll see how it goes. 

• Like 2

I've cut down on my alcohol intake a bit. Used to drink hard liqueur every day, but I've stopped. I do drink a beer a day, but one beer is a hellova lot less than two shots of whiskey.

At some point maybe I won't do a beer a day either :P

Well, not quite "a day." I take Saturdays off and sometimes Sundays too. So it's just the weekdays.

I've cut down on my alcohol intake a bit. Used to drink hard liqueur every day, but I've stopped. I do drink a beer a day, but one beer is a hellova lot less than two shots of whiskey.

At some point maybe I won't do a beer a day either :P

Well, not quite "a day." I take Saturdays off and sometimes Sundays too. So it's just the weekdays.

that's quite an improvement. :3 keep up the good work. 

Unfiltered, unpasteurized lambic/wild ales are actually good for you in moderation and technically contain live probiotics. Much like how a little wine isn't bad for your health ;)

hQNJH0D.jpg?2

However, if you go drinking a bottle of lambic a day, your wallet will hate you.

Edited by grassfed
  • Like 1

Unfiltered, unpasteurized lambic/wild ales are actually good for you in moderation and technically contain live probiotics. Much like how a little wine isn't bad for your health ;)

hQNJH0D.jpg?2

However, if you go drinking a bottle of lambic a day, your wallet will hate you.

One of the reasons I'm trying to cut back. That and it's extra calories I don't need. The whole "ALCOHOLIC" thing hasn't actually factored in at all, just my vanity.

Personally, I'm working on a lot of things to better myself, but I'll start with the small stuff. Recently it came to my attention that I now find it impossible to take a compliment. Any sort of platitudes or kind words get instantly rejected when offered to me. I play them down politely, but my instinctual reaction is "why are you lying to make me feel better?"

So I guess for now I'll just try to accept compliments as "this person seems to think this nice thing of you, isn't that great?" But my childhood makes it real tough to power through and take the niceties as something genuine. 

• Like 1

Currently, I just want to actually improve my art enough to where I can look at it and think "yeah that's fine". That's been kind of a long term goal.

I'd also like to start exercising, I feel like I really need it. I'm skinny but I'm so horribly out of shape and I just can't seem to find the time in this semester to actually do any sort of exercising like I'd like to. I really should change that and maybe set an hour a day aside next semester to go to the school's gym. Even if I'm just riding one of the stationary bikes there for the hour, at least that'll be something.

I've also been working on cutting energy drinks out of my diet, but it's been a slow process. I've been hooked on them since high school and I feel like I need them to function sometimes. I've been substituting them with coffee occasionally and that's been nice. I'm down to like 2 drinks a week now, whereas I was at about 5-7 last semester.

I'd also like to just get through this stupid fucking Web Scripting class without an F. The material could be useful but at this point, I'm just hoping I don't fail and have to take it again next year.

Currently, I just want to actually improve my art enough to where I can look at it and think "yeah that's fine". That's been kind of a long term goal.

I'd also like to start exercising, I feel like I really need it. I'm skinny but I'm so horribly out of shape and I just can't seem to find the time in this semester to actually do any sort of exercising like I'd like to. I really should change that and maybe set an hour a day aside next semester to go to the school's gym. Even if I'm just riding one of the stationary bikes there for the hour, at least that'll be something.

I've also been working on cutting energy drinks out of my diet, but it's been a slow process. I've been hooked on them since high school and I feel like I need them to function sometimes. I've been substituting them with coffee occasionally and that's been nice. I'm down to like 2 drinks a week now, whereas I was at about 5-7 last semester.

I'd also like to just get through this stupid fucking Web Scripting class without an F. The material could be useful but at this point, I'm just hoping I don't fail and have to take it again next year.

If you don't have a lot of time have you tried the couch to 5k training? It isn't a huge time sink but it's excellent exercise 

Couch-to-5K-Training-Program-a.thumb.png

• Like 1

If you don't have a lot of time have you tried the couch to 5k training? It isn't a huge time sink but it's excellent exercise 

Couch-to-5K-Training-Program-a.thumb.png

Hm, this sounds interesting. I might try something like this when my winter break starts to get an exercise routine started.

Hm, this sounds interesting. I might try something like this when my winter break starts to get an exercise routine started.

Yeah it's pretty neat. My suggestion is to get some okay running soles and listen to music while you run. The first week is a little hard but after that it gets a lot easier.

Yeah it's pretty neat. My suggestion is to get some okay running soles and listen to music while you run. The first week is a little hard but after that it gets a lot easier.

Sounds about right. I could probably invest in some cheap running shoes at a Ross or something.

Sounds about right. I could probably invest in some cheap running shoes at a Ross or something.

Yeah. It's all pretty straight forward and becomes a habit after a while. Just remember to stretch before and after running and you should be okay. Oh and drink some water.  

• Stop being so anxious
  • Obtain a home
  • Find a goal in life
  • Work on my sense of self-worth
  • Get over my past (Or lack of one, rather)
  • Master some kind of skill
  • Eat more
  • Worry less
  • Work on drug abuse
  • Dance more
  • Stop hating myself
  • Work on genuinely feeling things
Edited by Vaer

I'd like to eliminate enough of my OCD to be able to be independent. It has gotten so bad that I can't even leave my room without changing my clothes. Going out to an appointment or anything is REALLY bad, as I'll spend washing for about 30 minutes when I get home. There's a whole lot of other details I don't need to share... I just don't know how I'm going to get better, because nothing has worked thus far.

Maybe come out of "retirement" from programming when I'm no longer depressed. I recently gave it up because I feel like I'm shit compared to everybody else. I also just don't feel like doing anything at all.

Find more hobbies I guess?

Couch to 5k is fantastic and has helped a lot of people get in shape. Once you have a good routine going for 5k it's not that much harder to make the leap to 10k and upwards if you want. The hardest part is taking the first step and developing the habit (I remember there were a lot of false starts and failing before I finally did it).

For myself:

- Back to running after a chaotic couple months

- Put my education to work with a relevant job

- Finish my first comic story / improve my art

- Make some local friends in my new city