Freemium

Wrecker

Freemium... Is that the word for it?

Is that the fucking word for games that would otherwise be playable if it weren't for this huge pile of fucking pay-to-play bullshit that is weeding its way into every fucking game we own? What has the sweet mother of Fuck let upon us? This is crazy. There was a point where a game was a game. You either paid to play it, or it was for free. That was it.

The old DOS demo versions...

The industry is always trying to find new ways to churn more profit, and unfortunately microtransactions are massively profitable.

I was shocked to find out that Rockstar, a developer I had idolized and loved for many years were finally jumping on the microtransaction bandwagon with GTA V, and it really has impacted the game quite negatively. GTA Online is now their sole focus, and any attempts to deter users from that will result in account bans, to the point where users can be stripped of complete access to copies of the game that they have paid for.

• Like 1

Microtransactions.

Ah. My rule with microtransactions is, if they're purely cosmetic and don't give an unfair advantage to players, who cares. If they do give unfair advantages or contain something vital to the game that should just be included in the game itself, then that's where I have a problem. Cosmetics are fine because that's just for people who like cosmetic shit and has no game impact whatsoever.

• Like 2

Ah. My rule with microtransactions is, if they're purely cosmetic and don't give an unfair advantage to players, who cares. If they do give unfair advantages or contain something vital to the game that should just be included in the game itself, then that's where I have a problem. Cosmetics are fine because that's just for people who like cosmetic shit and has no game impact whatsoever.

I just figure it should be the way it has been for years on end: Buy the game and earn it. No shortcuts, and nothing exclusive.

The worst of it is what pops up on these smartphones. Wait, pay, wait, pay.

Over the years, I've bought way too much stupid shit for Team Fortress 2.

I'm not short of money or anything, I'm just tired of it. Opening crates costs £1.60 a pop and are more often than not just disappointing, and cosmetics don't provide enough fun to feel worth it anymore.

The customers are equally to blame as are the publishers/developers. Unless the particular software they're using is super critical or perhaps unique/rare then there's plenty of similar pieces of software especially for games.

IMO the biggest issue is that mainstream gamers have no patience in general, aren't willing to look around and just want to play whatever is shoved in front of their faces.

The industry is always trying to find new ways to churn more profit, and unfortunately microtransactions are massively profitable.

I was shocked to find out that Rockstar, a developer I had idolized and loved for many years were finally jumping on the microtransaction bandwagon with GTA V, and it really has impacted the game quite negatively. GTA Online is now their sole focus, and any attempts to deter users from that will result in account bans, to the point where users can be stripped of complete access to copies of the game that they have paid for.

This. This so fucking much

Well done R$. Well done indeed

Freemium games or "Cow clicker" games are usually for the people with addictive personalities who will do anything to win/collect them all. The really big issue is that for a game with little features and not as expensive, that it tries to monetize every little thing in order to make you feel like you are getting the game's shitty worth.