How do you know if someone's an Australian fur?

Azu

Don't worry, they'll tell you

OsJzYQy.png

Real talk though. Is it just me, or do a good number of Ausfurs just love to show off their nationality?

It's not all that uncommon when that I'll stumble upon FA profiles of an Ausfur which will display 'Proud Aussie!' with the ozfurs FA profile icon hyperlinked in the profile info section. Do you really need to proclaim your nationality so loudly, as if it was your only selling point? Maybe I'm just biased, given that I live in Australia myself, and I'm quite opposed towards the concept of nationalism, so naturally I have an eye for this sort of stuff. But honestly, I haven't seen it in furs of any other nationality quite like this. Again, the bias could be coming into play, but I do feel as if it's much more common among Ausfurs to be patriotic.

I wouldn't consider this a rant. More so just an observation. To be honest though? I do find nationalism and patriotism off-putting, regardless of nationality, but that's a whole other argument all together! May or may not make a thread on that in the future.

Edited by Azurex

Real talk though. Is it just me, or do a good number of Ausfurs just love to show off their nationality?

No more than 'muricans. Seriously that lot have the national pride thing firmly lodged up their anus.

Edited by Mr. Fox

It's lots of Aussies that do this! Not just furries hohoo

To be honest, I'm not one for this kind of thing. But I suppose we do have some reasons to be proud of Australia; It's big, it's unique, it's beautiful, there's so many things you won't see anywhere else in the world here, we have low crime rates, good benefits, and people are super nice and friendly (but there's also plenty of bogans don't get me wrong. Just like everywhere)

The only reason to be ashamed of living in Australia is our terrible, terrible internet connection speeds :v

No more than you 'muricans. Seriously you lot have the national pride thing firmly lodged up your anus.

I'm Australian myself tho

I'unno man. I legit can't remember the last time I saw an 'American Furs' tag on someone's profile. Keep in mind that I'm pretty much talking exclusively about furs here. If we're talking about average national pride on based on citizens, I think the US has pretty much any other western country beaten by a mile, but that's just what I think. Not that I have stats or anything to back it up - although, I would be curious to see those, if they were available.

Edited by Azurex

(but there's also plenty of bogans don't get me wrong. Just like everywhere)

Don't go to west Australia it's shit. 

I'unno man. I legit can't remember the last time I saw an 'American Furs' tag on someone's profile. Keep in mind that I'm pretty much talking exclusively about furs here. If we're talking about average national pride on based on citizens, I think the US has pretty much any other western country beaten by a mile, but that's just what I think. Not that I have stats or anything to back it up - although, I would be curious to see those, if they were available.

Nah, I've seen plenty of 'murican furs flaunt about their national pride on their profiles. Should start a poll maybe.

Not just Australian, mate.

I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but a prime example is the terrorist attacks in Paris. In pretty much every piece of news on the attacks in Swedish media they keep saying something along the lines of "over 100 people were killed, INCLUDING ONE SWEDE".

This isn't new, news media just loves to point out whenever a Swede's been involved, it's so dumb.

• Like 1

I hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but a prime example is the terrorist attacks in Paris. In pretty much every piece of news on the attacks in Swedish media they keep saying something along the lines of "over 100 people were killed, INCLUDING ONE SWEDE".

This isn't new, news media just loves to point out whenever a Swede's been involved, it's so dumb.

Aha, I actually felt similarly when news outlets here were headlining the fact that one Australian girl was injured among all the dead in France. I found it to be pretty stupid, personally.

9dc6699c35.jpg

508e8c2b8e.jpg

You have opened a can of worms

Although to be fair, my topic was not the best anyway, and more rambley than I would like to admit so I don't think I care all that much if it goes somewhat off topic.

All they want is to find someone who shares their love for Vegemite and hate for Gina Reinhart. Is that so much to ask for?

But I've noticed this as well and I think I have probably been somewhat guilty of it.

Edited by Revates

I'unno man. I legit can't remember the last time I saw an 'American Furs' tag on someone's profile.

I think this might be because people assume by default that everyone's from the US. (I mean look at Mr. Fox's original post, there's an example right there! :v)

(And on the note of what Kellie brought up, I see them do that in the news here, too. "This many people were injured/killed, including one American...")

• Like 3

I generally don't mind it, because there's no location field in profiles for some reason. I also like knowing where people are from. I'm not really a fan of national pride either, but it's always nice to find a fellow Canadian to talk to :)

(And on the note of what Kellie brought up, I see them do that in the news here, too. "This many people were injured/killed, including one American...")

Yeah, they do that here too.

Not just Australia and Sweden, vän.

Our media was talking about the one American identified who died in the attacks, Nohemi Gonzales.

I think most countries do this. The countries that are shy about being nationalistic are the exception, actually.

I agree with Phausk that I like knowing where people are from, and find it annoying that FA doesn't have a location field.

Edited by Troj

I've always felt like every time I find an artist whose style I really like, I go to their page and discover they're Russian. Does Russia have the best artists, or do more Russians put their nation tag up?

Neither, it is pure confirmation-bias. Well, at least I assume it is...

Mr. Fox hates Americans with a passion so that statement was mainly bias. 

Thats because 1) 'murcans are so biased they dont realize other people are from other countries unless stated otherwise, and 2) Most of us Americans post our states rather than our country, I think theres more state pride than country pride in profiles.

Also regarding Australia I think that place is kick ass and I visited there a few years ago. Though all my fascination of it is because Steve Irwin and Im convinced you all speak that way and wrestle crocodiles :V

• Like 1

For such a gigantic landmass, the place only has a population of 23 million. Australia is also pretty isolated from other places with a significant number of English speaking furries.

Can you really blame 'em for wanting to get their location out there to try and find people in their time zones to chat with?

• Like 1