Do you get annoyed by emoticons? (In general)

YuukiSkywolf

I know I have used them quite a bit, including posts I have done here.

But, I know that there has been times I have met people that just truly despise them. For example, group chats and as well as several forums wanted my ass to get kicked out if I use another emoticon. So, this really made me want to ask that question. Trust me, even though I have used emoticons alot. I always just restrict them for when I am actually having a serious conversation with someone.
For those that just find it annoying period, I do apologize for my use of them on certain occasions. 

Edited by YuukiSkywolf

Bah, I only get annoyed by them when they're truly used to an obnoxious degree. Sometimes emoticons really are essential when it comes to having a serious conversation through text. Sometimes they're good to have just for humor's sake or just cause thats how you like to reflect your personality. The people who got THAT upset with you for using emoticons must have had a stick up their ass cause it really isn't something to get that upset about it. I swear, people these days get mad over the pettiest shit.

What was this forum by the way? I want to join for...reasons ;3

• Like 4

Hating emoticons is one of those things I expect from edgy pseudo-intellectual nerds who are obsessed with maintaining the genetic purity integrity of the written word and are too stupid to understand that language has been shaped for millions of years by emergent trends.

• Like 6

I love using emoticons. I agree with what Dijon said about websites/programs replacing them with graphics, that can be a little annoying. But I don't get annoyed at the person using them, I'm annoyed with the website/program.

• Like 3

No screw the graphics! Using special characters to convey what we view is expressions is one of the most ingenious inventions of textual communication :D

No screw the graphics! Using special characters to convey what we view is expressions is one of the most ingenious inventions of textual communication :D

edit: Damn you, forums!

As many have said, I don't mind the text ones (and use them quite often myself, usually 1-2 per post), but I hate image ones. First thing I did when I got on Skype after having not used it forever is found out how to disable them. The bastards ruined :3 for fuck's sake, what kinda shit is that? Cat face does not equal entire cat, get outta here. D<

Ahh, but back in the days of MSN you were only kool if you had a buttload of emoticons... 20 for every possible situation that may come up and you had to use what you could in your name. I do remember one in particular that I loved: 20uesd3_th.gif Its name is Spiwit. Don't ask why, I don't remember, I just remember a friend showed me it and we decided on a name for it together. Lookit that lil guy go!

Oh, and some of the Steam emoticons are pretty tolerable.

Edited by Kinare

People who hate them are no fun

People who overuse them are no fun

Emotes are good, but you'd best limit yourself to maximum one per message in a text chat or you'll look like a knob. ;3 Am I right guys?  :U Yeah I'm right >:T This looks obnoxious, see :'< 

I'll tell you what I don't like much, even in moderation.

Colon P.

It's obnoxious. It just reminds me of 9 year-olds on YouTube who put it there for the hell of it because they want to dress up their message.

"i'm sorry its ok I didnt mean to offend ;P"

The yellow head is fugly most of the time.

Don't be racist. u_u

I'll tell you what I don't like much, even in moderation.

Colon P.

It's obnoxious. It just reminds me of 9 year-olds on YouTube who put it there for the hell of it because they want to dress up their message.

"i'm sorry its ok I didnt mean to offend ;P"

I'm sorry, is this better? ;9

I know 1 or 2 people that have a major stick up their ass about it but it don't bother me. I'd rather the use of emoticons to how help convey language and expression through the use of text based conversation because you can't read another's body language or tone in their voice to properly decipher said person's intentions. So yeah, not at all... 

I know 1 or 2 people that have a major stick up their ass about it but it don't bother me. I'd rather the use of emoticons to how help convey language and expression through the use of text based conversation because you can't read another's body language or tone in their voice to properly decipher said person's intentions. So yeah, not at all... 

I would have never guessed based off your signature.