How do YOU name your works?

Machine

As I sit here pondering the names for my draft album and its two songs on Bandcamp, I wondered about the naming conventions of my music. I used to name stuff off of the imagery I would get in my head from listening to the music, but now most of my methods of naming things are just phrases or words off the top of my head (or just the date of the song's creation, if I'm less creative).

How do you go about naming your stuff, musicians?

Very arbitrarily, like any of my other art I'm naming.

Sometimes I go with something deliberately ambiguous, I'm working on one song about insomnia and I'm trying to make it sound like a lover, calling that "We Dance Again". I also got "Song based on a horrible dream", because sometimes I can't think of a title that suits the song and I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

about the same. for more programmatic pieces i tend to start with an idea, phrase or title, then write the piece. i'd say the process has a dependency upon the piece itself. 

i also however like the idea of nonsense. i find something appealing in creating an image that isn't there, so sometimes i'll just name it something out of random.

• Like 1

My WIP works are usually names as beat### until I finish it (recent ones are neo_soul###). When it's done tho, I usually name the track depending on how they feel or what i feel about the song. Got tracks like to the top and unreal. Then the name changes again depending on the lyrics that end up in the track. 

I try to find a short name that sums up the song while enticing one to listen to it.
 You know, making it sound a bit mysterious or vague.

Usually it's a line from the chorus or one of the verses, but in the case of an instrumental I'll just name it about what I was looking at, or thinking, when I was playing.

• 2 months later...

Considering I make music for the purpose of (eventually) implementing it into a game, I name pieces after motifs that said games capture from a narrative or gameplay standpoint, or give them simple names that say exactly what they are. Doesn't always have to be complicated. Just look at your favorite bands and see if they have any songs with just somebody's name for a title.

• 2 weeks later...

For the game I'm working on, all the names are references or puns off of A Song of Ice and Fire novels. I'm quite partial to, "When Winter Fell" myself.

Trying to figure out what to name some more desert sounding songs right now. Haven't read the novels in so damn long that it's getting hard to come up with clever shit.

I can't give my songs proper names when I never put more than 60 minutes of work into any given one.

My latest album contains such meaningful track titles as the following:

: do not be fooled by tamamos youthful appearance she is the most powerful of the heavenly knights
: jesus christ my boyfriends so cute im serious like wow
: mouse over this comic and you get a pithy phrase in the pop up text no you have to hold it for a second no you moved it once already mouse over the browser window and move it back no okay just let me do it
: they should have a musical episode where the cast of glee sings to rainbow dash that its okay to be gay but in a subtle way so it can be on the show
: yuzuhara is a weaker commander in general but she is also endearing and has a passable h scene
: what's the name of that flash game on inkbunny where you race rainbow dash and if you beat her you can get her pregnant, it's like the surfing level from battletoads

25 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

I can't give my songs proper names when I never put more than 60 minutes of work into any given one.

My latest album contains such meaningful track titles as the following:

: do not be fooled by tamamos youthful appearance she is the most powerful of the heavenly knights
: jesus christ my boyfriends so cute im serious like wow
: mouse over this comic and you get a pithy phrase in the pop up text no you have to hold it for a second no you moved it once already mouse over the browser window and move it back no okay just let me do it
: they should have a musical episode where the cast of glee sings to rainbow dash that its okay to be gay but in a subtle way so it can be on the show
: yuzuhara is a weaker commander in general but she is also endearing and has a passable h scene
: what's the name of that flash game on inkbunny where you race rainbow dash and if you beat her you can get her pregnant, it's like the surfing level from battletoads

I'm kind of the opposite. It takes me forever to finish a song, even when I don't put much effort in, but the names are usually whatever comes to mind when I first save the file. The names of the five songs I've uploaded to my soundcloud in the past 9 months are as follows:

• cool
  • neat
  • interesting
  • intriguing
  • woah