Job advice?

Vallium

Yeah so, here's my situation. Im trying to get a job in another state because Im moving there. Not sure how that works best, but I have ideas.

Im trying to call in and send my resume to a few places now, making sure to tell them I intend to move there if they ask. Ive been emailing, but in my line of work most have applications Id have to walk in and fill out (some have online but not all). Plus, its better they see my face anyways. It'd be nice to be close to or guaranteed hire while Im between jobs, but thats a bit difficult. I may just have to quit my job and have financial padding while Im unemployed, move there, and walk into all these places Ive submitted a resume for and start filling out applications.

I know its typically not great to quit a job before finding a new one but Im not sure how that works across states.

Well fingers crossed that my employment confidence means anything in practice. My schedule will be totally free and I have experience so I feel like I could do okay.

I actually really like my joband wouldnt ordinarily quit but Im moving on to greener pastures, y'know?

I agree with 6tails: see if your current company has locations in that area that you could transfer to. If they do, that can make things a lot easier. Some companies even provide relocation assistance under certain circumstances. Otherwise, definitely hold on to your job until you get something or at least until your set to move.

If the jobs you want to apply to don't have online applications you can also call them, explain your situation, and ask if they do over-the-phone interviews or could mail you an application. They should be fine with by-mail applications and phone calls can make you seem more personable than yet-another-application. Be sure to ask for HR (if applicable) when trying to get a hold of them. Make note of the HR rep you spoke with and ask them for their contact details. Then, after you've mailed the application, be sure to follow up with the rep to let them know it has been mailed and to thank them for their help and consideration.

Your at a disadvantage to start, being out of state, so you need all the extra effort you can muster. A phone call makes you into a real person, it shows you are proactive and willing, and that will make you stand out as a candidate.

Bonus: You might land a phone interview in place of a face-face interview! Those are the best because you can do it in your underwear and have a cheat sheet there with you. Nothing makes you more confident than comfort and having the answers right there in front of you!

• Like 1

Pretty much all of the above, especially in regards to calling and asking for the person who does the hiring. Not every place has dedicated HR though, depends on the size of the company (mine for instance doesn't), so you would want to ask for a "hiring manager" or some sort for the specific area you're looking to get into. My company has two office managers that do the hiring for us now, but when I first started with them there was just the co-owner who did near everything except finances herself.

You could also check around and see if anyone you know can hook you up. What state are you drifting off to and in what field are you planning to work?

Are you being forced to move by a certain date or do you have control over that? If you can control it, I would definitely say save up a good chunk of cash before moving, then you do have that cushion when you have to quit your current job.

Also doesn't hurt to get and send in recommendation letters (or have people send them themselves), especially if you can get them from your current employer or someone in the field with a lot of experience.

• Like 1

Pretty much all of the above, especially in regards to calling and asking for the person who does the hiring. Not every place has dedicated HR though, depends on the size of the company (mine for instance doesn't), so you would want to ask for a "hiring manager" or some sort for the specific area you're looking to get into. My company has two office managers that do the hiring for us now, but when I first started with them there was just the co-owner who did near everything except finances herself.

You could also check around and see if anyone you know can hook you up. What state are you drifting off to and in what field are you planning to work?

Are you being forced to move by a certain date or do you have control over that? If you can control it, I would definitely say save up a good chunk of cash before moving, then you do have that cushion when you have to quit your current job.

Also doesn't hurt to get and send in recommendation letters (or have people send them themselves), especially if you can get them from your current employer or someone in the field with a lot of experience.

I work for a private small business so I doubt I can relocate. I will take your advices and see if I can have applications mailed to me and sent back, though.

Im shooting to move mid to late January, so Im starting to look now, Ivebeen planning to save for awhile now (though most recent expenses causes that to hault a little). This has been more of apersonal goal then being forced, though.