Sar

fCmjMwg.jpg?1 

This is from one of the first furmeets I went to, I dunno the guy's name but I've seen him around. Always appears for an hour wearing that thing then disappears again. 

On 16/12/2015 at 10:39 AM, Caledonian said:

tiger_stand_by_eddie_ka-d5yf8lu.png

There's nothing wrong with that suit it's good!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lopori said:

Ah I see the weirdness with the eyes now. The bulge I just saw as cat balls and I liked the anatomical accuracy.

Usually if a suit is anatomically correct, it is used for sex (if brought into public, extra ick). 

--------

That horse head though looks cuter the more I look at it. Horses already have this whole uncanny valley thing going on when anthroed and turned into suits so I think that's where most of it is from. Horses just look like monsters, lol.

On 12/19/2015 at 3:16 PM, Calemeyr said:

Are the people who wear such crappy costumes like retarded or something? I mean, don't they realize how bad their costumes are? Or is it a "I don't care, I have to rush it for the con" thing?

Rushing it for the con. Started it two days before the con, too. Usual stuff.

Actually, that's a fair point.

I've certainly basked in the warm glow of that feeling you get when you've invested a lot of time and energy into something, even if it wasn't top-notch.

Thanks to DA, FA, social media, Youtube, and the like, people can incredible art from artists all over the world at the click of a mouse. As a result of rising standards and expectations, art that might've been considered good or decent back in the day is now seen as mediocre.

But, even so, I'd still argue that there's difference between a mediocre fursuit and a nightmare-inducing one, and that most people over the age of 10 should have some inkling of when a fursuit crosses that line.

If I ever felt that my fursuit crossed that line, personally, my sense of dignity would prevent me from wearing it in public, because I'd reason that being mocked for looking like an extra from The Shining is worse than feeling vaguely left out because I'm the only person in my group of friends without a fursuit. But, that's me.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 2

Yeah, when you have something average to below average, but you made it, you'll feel it's better than it really is. The stuff in this thread, though...I really think these people are just idiots. There really isn't any other explanation for having such a cringey costume. 

I do remember that someone on old FAF said Furry requires less creativity than, say, the sci-fi fandom, so it sometimes attracts the kind of people who have a Sonic recolor OC while they're 25 years old.

Edited by Calemeyr
  • Like 1

On December 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Lopori said:

There's nothing wrong with that suit it's good!

The eyes need to be centered, otherwise it looks like an inbred tiger. Other than that, it is still a good suit.

56 minutes ago, Calemeyr said:

Yeah, when you have something average to below average, but you made it, you'll feel it's better than it really is. The stuff in this thread, though...I really think these people are just idiots. There really isn't any other explanation for having such a cringey costume. 

I do remember that someone on old FAF said Furry requires less creativity than, say, the sci-fi fandom, so it sometimes attracts the kind of people who have a Sonic recolor OC while they're 25 years old.

People who say that probably haven't delved that much into the Furry fandom. True, you have copies of Sonic, lion king, and other OCs that have taken from current media, but there's more original content being created than random sonic OC #19964. Compared to Star Wars, Anime, and comic book, where you copy an outfit from existing media, Furry has more forgiveness than the latter.

A lot of the cringe suits I can give the benefit of the doubt because of someone's first time making it. It's like sex, sometimes your first time is going to be a sloppy mess until you do it again. However, I cannot give the benefit of the doubt to people who treat fursuit making as a get-rick quick scheme. 

On 12/26/2015 at 11:42 AM, Calemeyr said:

Some are likely idiots, some are likely children, and some are, I'd wager, literally autistic.

As to your second point, I'd say that water seeks its own level, and that there are probably creative and uncreative people in practically every community. (There are also creative people who lack skill or focus, so the fruits of their creativity come across as mishmashy mess.)

You could argue that the furry fandom ideally requires more creativity because people typically invent their own characters, instead of adopting or cosplaying as an existing one--but, then, you'll always have those people who just aren't particularly imaginative or creative, so they'll opt for the Sonic re-colour.

• 2 weeks later...