If you were a horrible parent for naming your kid

Vallium

I like the sound of the names Maxwell and Ridgewood, but Id really think those names would be better for characters, I imagine it would suck for a kid of this generation to be named that

I can imagine a lot of names would be weird on a human. Like naming your kid that sounds like a dog name: Sparky, Zeus, Boomer. Or something like Naruto or Hatsune, or Ebony Darkness Dementia Raven Way (what did her parents predict she'd grow up goth?), or naming a kid Name.

I knew a kid named Ace and another named Angel and they actually owned those names pretty well.

My parents were seriously going to call me Porsche at one point and I'm so fucking mad at them for not. They were gonna call my brother Enzo as well.

I was gonna be called Charlotte eventually (which I really like as a name) but my aunt apparently had a chicken called Charlotte so they didn't want to name me after a chicken.

I feel like I'm gonna be the worst parent for naming my kids when I have them. If I had twin boys they'd be Remus and Raef, I also love Sebastian as a name, and Riley. For a girl, I'd go with Medley.

I had a boy (Cody) and a girl  (Zoe) name picked out for me. I was born Cody (which means descendant of Cuidightheach, an old Irish byname meaning "helpful"), but I want to be Zoe; In Greek the meaning of the name Zoe is: Life; alive.

So, it's like a story of a helper/servant type learning how to live and be alive or something. 

My Grandma wanted to call me Rudolf (famous wolf) because I was born so close to Christmas; I could've been a real player in the furry world. :V

I had a boy (Cody) and a girl  (Zoe) name picked out for me. I was born Cody (which means descendant of Cuidightheach, an old Irish byname meaning "helpful"), but I want to be Zoe; In Greek the meaning of the name Zoe is: Life; alive.

So, it's like a story of a helper/servant type learning how to live and be alive or something. 

My Grandma wanted to call me Rudolf (famous wolf) because I was born so close to Christmas; I could've been a real player in the furry world. :V

...but Rudolf is a deer!

...but Rudolf is a deer!

Rudolph or Rudolf (French: Rodolphe, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish: Rodolfo) or Rodolphe is a male first name, and, less commonly, a surname. It is a Germanic name deriving from two stems. One being "Rod" or "Hrōð", meaning "fame", and "olf" meaning "wolf" 

And let's not forget, Rudolf was famous as fuck, and kind of a lone wolf. :V 

• Like 1

my dad wanted to call me Eder (it means handsome in basque), but not only does it sounds super harsh when pronounced, and that no one would have ever poronounced it correctly, it was also the name of one of grandmother's dogs that reeked like a hundred dead rats...

If was to name a kid with a very shit name... Alphonse-Hubert maybe? or Phuc-Mi ... maybe Désiré... there are so many bad names ^^

or maybe I should choose a vowel-less name like Kzclrk  or  Hqwx or Tcrtzkz ^^

Words are weird man; it's like translating thoughts, concepts, and ideas into code via our alphabetical and grammatical ciphers. And this is how we talk to each other. In code man... :V

Hehe, well I recentl gave a cat a name that has a double meaning depending on spelling. First impression of her was she liked to climb, so as a nickname I dubbed her "monkey" but as a name I didnt like it so I named her after a type of monkey, but (depending on how its pronounced) it also thr chocolate and peanut butter candy and it describes her coat pattern which is tortoiseshell...

I named her Rhesus/Reeses x3

or maybe I should choose a vowel-less name like Kzclrk  or  Hqwx or Tcrtzkz ^^

Oh man those last ones are awful. xD Im pronouncing them as Kizclerk, Hickwix, and Ticurtzikiz. Is this how people come up with fantasy names? Just keysmash and add the vowels?

I'd name my child dovakin if I wanted to be a terrible parent because I'd get all games released by Bethesda for life.

My kid won't need friends, he'll have  the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchise :VV

Edit: everyone knows this is actually a thing right? Some people named their kid dovakin and they get Bethesda games for the rest of their life.

Edited by CrazyTundraWolf

Are you comfortable sharing your so we get the gist of it? I hate mine, too. But its somewhat normal, but all my life I felt it was too girly, rare in a bad way, and off (It's Valerie, I go by Val now since my friends call me that and it sounds better and more neautral)

My last name IRL is Hart, so I would name my son, Flint Fire Hart. I'm sure nothing but good things can come of it.

sounds like a Gary Stu/Special Snowflake/Warrior cat

I'm not sure what I would name my kids. I dunno, Mitzi for a girl, and Leon for a boy.

ha! You thought no one would catch the subtle reference to your puppet people obsession yet again, I know who Mitzi is :P Dont tell the kid

• Like 1

Are you comfortable sharing your so we get the gist of it? I hate mine, too. But its somewhat normal, but all my life I felt it was too girly, rare in a bad way, and off (It's Valerie, I go by Val now since my friends call me that and it sounds better and more neautral)

Sorry I'd share it but it's so uncommon that you'd easily be able to find me with it. I've never met anyone with my name. :(

As someone with a unique name myself, I like unique names--to a point.

A good unique name is one which a person can grow into and take pride in.

A bad unique name is one which screams, "My parents thought they were being clever" or "My parents want you to know that they're special snowflakes."

I have a personal pet peeve for traditional names being spelled like someone just threw Scrabble tiles at the wall, because it reeks of indecision or waffling.

I'm sensitive to the difference between obscure names ("Aurelius") and illiterate 16-year-old trailer trash moms just making shit up ("Abcd") and as an educated liberal, I'll cop to favoring the former, while generally being repulsed by the latter.

Interesting:

http://www.livescience.com/37196-politics-baby-names.html

True:

http://whitetrashbabynames.tumblr.com/

• Like 2

What's nice is that if you search 'Leyda', you'll just come up mostly with an old director (Jay Leyda) and a winery in chile. 

But that's my name. Its got cousins (Lydia, Leyla) but its unique enough. Its pronounceable worth a shit in certain areas in the US, though. 

As for kids for myself? I hate common or 'ultra-white' names. John, carol, alex, maddie.. stuff like that. Laykynn. Ashleyeigh. You know what I mean. I like older stuff. Theodore. Benjamin. Tiberius. Atticus. Irving. Basil. Eli. Silas. 

Girls? I mean, I imagine myself having boys.. but my SO likes 'Emily'. It goes against my 'common' names wish, but I'm allowed to go with 'Emily Plum' if we go with emily. ;) 

So, girls names?? Lottie/Charlotte. Scarlett, maybe? Clementine. Paprika/Pepper (bite me) Olive/Olivia. Joan. Stuff like that. 

No way. I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face around that person.

OMG its even better because that is not the name the guy was born with he legally changed it to that.  My friend kept trying to be real professional during the whole thing and kept calling him Mr. Adams until the guy literally says "Son I did not change my name to Penis so that I can be called Mr. Adams."  Sure enough when my friend starts running this guys credit card and all his info every single thing checks out.

• Like 1

I'll share a story my mom shared with me.

One of her clients (my mom is a cosmetologist) came to her from downstate MI. She said that she knew a woman down there who named her sons Orangejello (pronounced Oh-ron-jeh-lo) and Lemonjello (Leh-mon-jeh-lo). She said she named them that because she loves jello... THE FUCK ARE YOU INJECTING!?

Fun fact: I just googled that shit and apparently it's a legit thing in more than one area of the USA...WTF