• 25 - 29
    • 30 - 39
    • 40 - 49
    • 50 - 59
    • 60 +

You are an ancient one. 

You are correct. I am basically this man:

NEr3f0NTn8evus_2_b.jpg

Except I have far less hair on my head and my voice is not as soothing when I say titty sprinkles or Visa

hey everyone hes like 60 something

uses a cane and everything

i've seen pics

The cane was necessary for my sciatica! oh god I am old    And you told me that you wouldn't talk about those photos! Now I'm going to have weird fetish PMs, you bastard.

Wow, look at all those geezers over 20.

It seems likes the median has been creeping upwards over time. Which I guess makes sense if you assume that most new members don't stay for long whereas a small but significant fraction of members stay forever.

Yeah but the age group of the forum in general shows that after 25 something changes in most people. 

Bah, the one time you focus on facts and statistics instead of a witty quip about body hair. But fine, I'll roll with it...

I'm going to hypothesize that the median age where people in the fandom get married and/or start families is around age 23-25. It's hard to have time (or, more importantly, money) for attending cons, buying pr0n sketches and bouncing around in a fursuit parade when you have a screaming toddler in tow. It's not impossible, I know of a few folks who have done it, but for most new parents that is too much work / too time consuming. As a result, old hobbies fall by the wayside in favor of new responsibilities, trips to the petting zoo and doctor appointments.

• Like 1

Bah, the one time you focus on facts and statistics instead of a witty quip about body hair. But fine, I'll roll with it...

I'm going to hypothesize that the median age where people in the fandom get married and/or start families is around age 23-25. It's hard to have time (or, more importantly, money) for attending cons, buying pr0n sketches and bouncing around in a fursuit parade when you have a screaming toddler in tow. It's not impossible, I know of a few folks who have done it, but for most new parents that is too much work / too time consuming. As a result, old hobbies fall by the wayside in favor of new responsibilities, trips to the petting zoo and doctor appointments.

Yeah, but being on a furry forum takes zero commitment. I just find it strange that people abandon it completely. 

Yeah, but being on a furry forum takes zero commitment. I just find it strange that people abandon it completely. 

Social media and the evolving online habits of the public play a part as well, I think. I used to hang out with a ton of people on FurryMUCK. Over time those folks drifted away due to their life changes (married, moved, whatever). Without them to retain my interest I stopped going online there as well.

• Like 1

Social media and the evolving online habits of the public play a part as well, I think. I used to hang out with a ton of people on FurryMUCK. Over time those folks drifted away due to their life changes (married, moved, whatever). Without them to retain my interest I stopped going online there as well.

I think you hit on a pretty big factor here. If the people you're familiar with leave a place then you often find there's not much holding yourself there either. The corollary is that new places, where you don't know anyone and they don't know you, are relatively less appealing. The end result is that as people get older and collect ever more interests and responsibilities, they cut back on this kind of low impact socializing.

This implies it isn't possible to make new online friends.