Rant: 106 calories chicken curry ready meal

Käpt'n

I made it my goal to eat healthier and to lose some weight. Today while I had my lunch break I went to a store of a chain that specializes in healthy bio crap. Most of their stuff is really good! They sell juice made from 100% fruit juice, bags of trail mix and so on. A little more expensive but what ever, it tastes good and I eat less of it, so it's all good.

Anyway! Today I saw that they also sell a chicken curry ready meal with just 106 kalories per serving! It's advertised with fresh ingredients on the front, you know the drill. Making it look as good as possible.

I should have been more suspicious...

When I just opened the bag it pretty much looked like vomit. And it tasted like that as well... Bland as all hell, especially the three tiny pieces of chicken, and the vegetables, which were microwaved to a mushy slime, tasted like the nightmare of a three year old who is always forced to eat his veggies by his parents.

Maybe that is why they claim it just has 106 calories? Because you try it and then flush it down the toilet, where vomit belongs?

I'm just glad that the strawberry yogurt that I got as a backup didn't disappoint :3

So. What are you having for dinner?

Edit: By the way, I wanted to take a photo of it to show how disgusting it looks but my DSLR betrayed me and made it look really delicious. Fuck this shit I'm switching to Canon.

Edited by Käpt'n

For a chicken curry with 106 calories, what did you expect? Big and tasty?

My mum made a chicken korma using a recipe from a diet book and was saying about how few calories were in it, and I was getting so excited, and it tasted like literally NOTHING. For good curry, you just have to have the calories. I fell for that trick the other day, got one that looked quite nice on the box, and had ~450 calories and when I opened it, I knew why. It was TINY.

McDonalds, unfortunately. I've been out and about these last few days and I didn't have time to make a proper meal or even have a sit down dinner at all really. Ordinarily I love cooking, and I try my best to make a decent meal. The last time I cooked a proper dinner, I made tofu and veggie stir fry with bell peppers, onions, fresh garlic, water chestnuts, zucchini, mushrooms, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, a little bit of sriracha, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and teriyaki sauce, all over rice. It was rad :D

Edited by MuttButt

For a chicken curry with 106 calories, what did you expect? Big and tasty?

My mum made a chicken korma using a recipe from a diet book and was saying about how few calories were in it, and I was getting so excited, and it tasted like literally NOTHING. For good curry, you just have to have the calories. I fell for that trick the other day, got one that looked quite nice on the box, and had ~450 calories and when I opened it, I knew why. It was TINY.

Well I didn't expect puke, that's for sure :P I expected it to be a very small amount. But it actually wasn't!

But to be completely honest with you, I have no idea what I was expecting. I went into this with zero expectations. On the one hand it is a 106 calorie ready meal... On the other hand it came from a store where they sell really good shit!

Oh and by the way, as I poured it into the toilet I actually gagged because it reminded me so much of puke.

They sell juice made from 100% fruit juice

Be careful with fruit juice.  Most of them are no where near as healthy as they seem.   Most are incredibly high in sugar and low in other nutrients except vitamin C, which most people don't have any trouble getting enough in the rest of their diet.  Not to say that fruit juice is bad for you just that you need to make sure to take the time to actually read the nutrition information to make sure you aren't being tricked.

Be careful with fruit juice.  Most of them are no where near as healthy as they seem.   Most are incredibly high in sugar and low in other nutrients except vitamin C, which most people don't have any trouble getting enough in the rest of their diet.  Not to say that fruit juice is bad for you just that you need to make sure to take the time to actually read the nutrition information to make sure you aren't being tricked.

Don't care, it's delicious :3 But yeah, it is relatively high in sugar. That's how fruits work, they have a lot of sugar in them^^ And as far as vitamins go, their products have more natural vitamins than other brands but still not as much as just eating the fruits

It tastes great and it's definitely more healthy than coke, that's for sure xD

Yeah anything that isn't an extremely light snack being advertised with 100 Cal as a selling point should be suspect.

Honestly it's a lot more about learning how the human body works and eating accordingly. Learn what kinds of foods do what and what's actually in them and what they do for you. It's like the people that go to Trader Joe's for everything and lo and behold they're getting fat anyway because who could imagine that "healthy, all-natural ingredients" could still come out to insane amounts of calories/sat.fat/sodium/sugar.

But then on the other hand some things just don't make sense. Six weeks ago I weighed 147lbs, I've been eating far too much birthday/thanksgiving/Xmas treats over that time period and now I'm 140.

Edited by Clove Darkwave

But then on the other hand some things just don't make sense. Six weeks ago I weighed 147lbs, I've been eating far too much birthday/thanksgiving/Xmas treats over that time period and now I'm 140.

Teach me your ways.

A 106 calorie chicken meal that is both filling and tasty is but a dream. If you want low calorie food that's tasty and filling, go for a vegetarian option. It wouldn't kill people to eat less meat.

All I did was start eating less,and avoid red meat,which I never reallly liked anyway, managed to lose 50lbs in less than a year. Just...eat in moderation. No need to restrain yourself to slop like that curry. If you eat too much, even if it's "healthy" food, you won't lose any weight. I don't think I ever went out of my way to eat any of that bio-crap, since I couldn't afford to anyway.

I know people who claim they're eating healthy to lose weight, yet they're eating a thousand meals a day, and making mountains of "healthy" food on their plates each time. Suffice to say, they've hardly lost any weight in almost three years now...

Edited by Luka

bro, im trying to eat healthier too

ive always stuck around 125-130lbs and could eat anything I wanted, but lately ive been up to maybe 135? and im unhappy about it. its entirely due to my shit diet lately that's mostly fast food

soooo i installed a fitness app on my iphone called MyFitnessPal, to keep track of what im eating

you should do it too, bro, its really helpful :)

you should do it too, bro, its really helpful :)

I recently got a Pebble smartwatch and I set up a couple daily alarms for times when I am at risk of eating or buying junk! So for example, I arrive at 8:40 at the central station and then my watch just yells "NO!" at me xD Because of my job I am stuck in a very regular routine each day, so these alarms that I set up are already proving to be very effective. Getting that watch was a great idea in general.

And yeah, I mostly turned into The Blob because I eat too much. My weight has been pretty stable so far, all my clothes from last year still fit me, but I really do need to eat less. I pretty much went from cooking everything myself to eating almost nothing but junk food. It went so far that I don't even feel like eating candy anymore because I had so much that I am completely burned out from it. Last week I was thinking about getting some ice cream but I couldn't bring myself to it because I had so much of it that eating it literally lost all meaning to me.

At work I stand most of the time, on Sundays I go to the zoo to take photos for about 8 hours (if the weather doesn't suck). I'm just gonna switch to water, yogurt and apples again. And it's gonna be easy too because I can't see all this other shit anymore :P