Rant: Y U NOT GAY, GAMES?!

AlexInsane

1 minute ago, Gamedog said:

In order to make it known that a character is gay, he either has to be seen kissing/fucking another dude, or saying "I'm gay/my husband/my boyfriend".

So, why is it okay for this to happen to heterosexual characters in video games?

Just, please explain to me how this is okay in video games...

snow_and_serah_s_kiss.png

But if this was two dudes, then it's somehow "in your face that he's GAY GAY GAY AND HERE IS HIS BOYFRIEND WHO HE FUCKS EVERY NIGHT, DID I MENTION HE'S GAY?" as you so eloquently put it?

Or this...

maxresdefault.jpg

Or this?

1454228-bigthumbnail.jpg

The difference is that those romances dont make fucking headlines in the media under "PAY ATTENTION TO OUR GAME BECAUSE GAY CHARACTERS". Show me the "Wolfenstien to feature straight characters" articles.

The developers didnt feel the need to make a song and dance over it. Have gay characters or dont, dont make it be the main reason we should pay attention to your game.

Edited by Harbinger

3 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

The difference is that those romances dont make fucking headlines in the media under "PAY ATTENTION TO OUR GAME BECAUSE GAY CHARACTERS". Show me the "Wolfenstien to feature straight characters" articles.

The developers didnt feel the need to make a song and dance over it. Have gay characters or dont, dont make it be the main reason we should pay attention to your game.

I can assume my fave characters in games are gay and there's nothing to prove me wrong unless it becomes canon\ that they're heterosexual :D

and movies

especially movies

I like to imagine Max in Fury Road is bisexual :)

4 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

So what you're saying is that blatant displays to appeal to heterosexuality are never a thing that's used to draw attention to video games?  That 'HEY DUDES, LOOK AT THE CHICKS!' is never used to help market a video game?

dead-or-alive-5-girls-wallpaper.jpg

No one's ever used appeals to heterosexuality to market a game.  Ever.

deadislandriptide-dlc.jpg

Because all know that it's only the gays that want media attention to sell products, no one has ever used heterosexuality as a ploy to sell things.

eade3b199f0aefe2f4f603063157f0cf.jpg

Game of War is a quality video game that does not appeal to the heterosexual testacles to sell it's in-depth and amazing gameplay to users.

maxresdefault.jpg

And if using heterosexual sex to attract gamers even IS a thing, it's a NEW thing, it certainly doesn't go back to the roots of video game history at all.

uoLYzj3.jpg

No, 'Bust' doesn't have to do with 'Boobs', you sick heteros just want to think that EVERYTHING is straight!

narc1big.jpg

10 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Jesus christ Ashley calm down, whose saying they dont appeal to lesbians :V

And if i wasnt lazy and could be bothered i could trawl through google images and grab images of tonnes of buff men in games, im sure those dont attract straight women or gay males at all would they?

Hey man, you show me ONE canonical of Chris Redfield in a Speedo or something on a Resident Evil 5 cover or poster and not only will you WIN that point, I'll fucking PAY to BUY that because, god damn it, Ashley wants.  Come on, let's see some sexual males that would appeal to women used to sell video games.  To be clear, that means it can't just be 'I bet chicks would think this guy is hot!'.  His JUNK needs to be on screen with the tagline 'His weapon is fully loaded' or something corny as hell like that.  Come on, I'm waiting.

Hey, I can google this 'Video games appealing to straight dudes' stuff ALL Day.  It's basically a bottomless well of content.  Let's see some appeals to women or gay mens sexuality to sell video games.  Let's go.  What are you waiting for?

Fanart and BL/Yaoi visual novels do not count.

Edited by AshleyAshes

Ashley you are embarrassing yourself.

Straight relations in a game is pretty normal because, well, straight relations are the majority people have. Get over it. It is so hard to make a gay character in a game without it being so blatantly obvious, stereotypical and in your face.

Every character that's not obvious, you can imagine them to be whatever you want. That's what straight folk do too. Optional romances usually allow for homogay as well so that's good for you.

I wouldn't mind choices as to which gender you want to rescue (if that's the plot), but if it's the effort, expenses or something that prevents that, then obviously it's better to go with the majority's orientation.

You can keep dumping screenshots of sexualized female characters that serve no romantic plot, just remember that just about every male hero character is muscular, handsome and sexualized too. Never have I seen a scrawny adult hero by design. 

• Like 5

Just now, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Ashley you are embarrassing yourself.

Straight relations in a game is pretty normal because, well, straight relations are the majority people have. Get over it. It is so hard to make a gay character in a game without it being so blatantly obvious, stereotypical and in your face.

Every character that's not obvious, you can imagine them to be whatever you want. That's what straight folk do too. Optional romances usually allow for homogay as well so that's good for you.

I wouldn't mind choices as to which gender you want to rescue (if that's the plot), but if it's the effort, expenses or something that prevents that, then obviously it's better to go with the majority's orientation.

You can keep dumping screenshots of sexualized female characters that serve no romantic plot, just remember that just about every male hero character is muscular, handsome and sexualized too. Never have I seen a scrawny adult hero by design. 

This is all a conspiracy, invented by the hetero taco packers. :(

I thought this was a joke rant at first, but seeing how it isn't, I have to question why this is even a problem. Considering that the majority of games/people in general aren't gay, why do we need gay guys/girls to frequent movies and games so much? Can't we just have it to where, like, a gay relationship only comes up in a game because like, that's how the writer intended it to be without it being a blatant shoe in that only happened because people are bitching about equality? 

That or you can just stick to your horribly written homo furry simulators, written by gay furs for gay furs. (If you really wanna nitpick how Bioware sucks at writing gay relationships)

• Like 5

Wow, who gives a shit if games don't represent a large spectrum of sexualities, they are just games, they don't govern you, get over it. Besides gays already suffer from the "sitcom gay" stereo type, if gays are going to be injected into every game for mah equality or whatever they are going to embrace that stereo type, fuck that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Why don't people write what others want?

Because when you write for anyone other than yourself it comes out like shit.

Write for yourself, write with passion.

You say this as if the video game industry is primarily centered on personal expression as it's prime motivator.  Like, as if the guys in their towers at EA, Microsoft Studios, Activision, Ubisoft and others are like 'So, how can we give a tonne of money to programmers and artists so that they can make their dreams come true, today?? ^_____^'  Spoiler: It's not.

Edited by AshleyAshes

So people want a character to be known as gay.

But don't want anything at all to indicate in the slightest that he's gay. Shouldn't be mentioned anywhere at all.

So what do?

Honestly, this is so silly. Who cares about this stuff? Just play the game if you enjoy it, or whatever.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You say this as if the video game industry is primarily centered on personal expression as it's prime motivator.  Like, as if the guys in their towers at EA, Microsoft Studios, Activision, Ubisoft and others are like 'So, how can we give a tonne of money to programmers and artists so that they can make their dreams come true, today?? ^_____^'  Spoiler: It's not.

You say that like you have hard evidence to support an argument.

Oh and by the way, that's why plenty of games have shit writing.

43 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

really good job marginalizing the point of Cloves post, which is that generally games are designed with *some* level of creative assertion first. there requires some choice of design for there to be something to market. independent games reflect this even more so than the AAA forms

even if it isnt possible to assert that game industry is centered around creativity, that doesnt demote the fact that a certain level of it still has to exist in order for a product to succeed.

Edited by evan

The waiter girl 'Erika' in the game Cathrine is trans. I think they very briefly mention it in a specific part of the game if you talk to certain people. Though they do drop hints like:

"I knew her back when she was Eric"

and some other hints. She also gets the nightmares that only males get.

• Like 1

Jesus, you guys got ANGRY. I'm pretty sure I didn't piss in anyone's Cheerios this morning, so no clue what got you all riled up, unless it's the idea that all those wonderful boob moments shared with Lara Croft, etc, are going to be replaced with huge floppy dongs. Which is not the case. 

Not every game has to be solely sex centered. Subtlety can be nice, but fan service can be nice too. Naked guys doing...whatever, would be incredibly nice, instead of, y'know "Oh, look, clever positioning of people and/or objects to block penises! Aren't I a scamp!" I'm sure you've seen enough on the straight side, to the point where you go "OH, COME ON ALREADY! I WANT TO SEE SOME GOOD STUFF!"

Anyway. You play a game because you enjoy the game. Yes, I agree. My...reason for wanting this isn't based on some desire to spread gayness in gaming or to politicize it or do it out of a sense of fairness. It's something I'd like to see, something I'd like to see done well. I'd like to see a romance that ISN'T full of lines so cheesy you could put it on pasta, pickup lines so bad that nobody with half a brain would ever think to say them. I'd like to see a kiss in a game between two men that isn't cringe-inducingly bad. A nice kiss, not a prolonged affair, a second or two would be quite sufficient. I'd love to see a story about something like this, a story based on dedication and admiration and attraction rather than point-blank lust. 

I just never see things like this and it drives me wild with longing to see them in a game. I guess it's not to be. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, Lomberdia said:

The waiter girl 'Erika' in the game Cathrine is trans. I think they very briefly mention it in a specific part of the game if you talk to certain people. Though they do drop hints like:

"I knew her back when she was Eric"

and some other hints. She also gets the nightmares that only males get.

That game looks kinda funny and interesting but I get bored with puzzle games sadly. 

21 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is mainly because the most vocal demographic of gamers are, well, for lack of a more complicated term; 'A bunch of bros'.  GLBT individuals would like to engage in their appreciation of games, participate in it's culture, and play games online or in real life with others without being asked 'Well, how do you KNOW you're gay?  Maybe you just haven't eaten the right mad pussy yet, bra?  I mean, even if you're a cuck sucking faggot, you have to agree that Lara Croft is hot, amirite?'

This isn't about 'I'M QUEER AND I PLAY GAMES, LOOK AT ME!' it's about playing Counter-Strike without being called 'Lesbo Bitch' by half the other players.

I've never had this experience. I'm also not sure why you would tell random people you're in game with what your sexual orientation is, because it's irrelevant.

I can't help but find people's complaints that a perceived paucity of flamboyantly gay, Vietnamese, bulimic etc characters in video games makes them feel oppressed or excluded. I think they should cultivate a stronger sense of self worth, which isn't contingent on the sexual orientation or waist-measurement of fictional characters.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm also not sure why you would tell random people you're in game with what your sexual orientation is, because it's irrelevant.

"Good game!  Another round?"
"Nah, I gotta go to dinner with my boyfriend now."

Sometimes, ya know, personal lives do become a topic of discussion with the people that you engage in the social experience of video games with.  I don't get why this seems so far fetched.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

"Good game!  Another round?"
"Nah, I gotta go to dinner with my boyfriend now."

Sometimes, ya know, personal lives do become a topic of discussion with the people that you engage in the social experience of video games with.  I don't get why this seems so far fetched.

I think that the 'are you really gay?' interrogations by randoms of the internet are far fetched; I'm calling bullshit on those.

I think that this is one of those trumped up Social-Justice-Warrior problems. 

We're not suffering tirades of homophobic abuse because there aren't enough gay characters in videogames, and if someone does make snide comments about sex we don't have to take them to heart; we can just ignore them or block the users if it really upsets us.

I think we should avoid indulging a victimisation complex.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I think that the 'are you really gay?' interrogations by randoms of the internet are far fetched; I'm calling bullshit on those.

I think that this is one of those trumped up Social-Justice-Warrior problems.

I've had it happen.  I'm sorry that you think my experiences seem farfetched to you.  I've had others who can share similar experiences as well.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I've had it happen.  I'm sorry that you think my experiences seem farfetched to you.  I've had others who can share similar experiences as well.

I doubt that droves of people have seriously sought to harass you for being gay on online games, but I'll reiterate, that is what block is for, Ashley.

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I doubt that droves of people have seriously sought to harass you for being gay on online games, but I'll reiterate, that is what block is for, Ashley.

Yes, you can block those people and avoid servers or communities where behavior is problematic.  Then what you can do is form a group of peers to play with where you can safely get your game on without people being shitheads... Maybe even some kind of 'community' or even a convention...?  Wait riiiiiiiiight, that's what some of you were moaning about being stupid in the FIRST place.  Funny that.

So, you should avoid all homophobic shitheads but NOT form communities of queer gamers who can get along all queerily while playing Smash cause that's you wanting to be a special snowflake or some shit.  Cool, got it, makes sense.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I could see it as a significant problem a decade ago. Being gay is such a common thing now, though, that the usual response to some teenager freaking out and throwing around homophobic insults -- beyond everyone just ignoring them -- is trolling them with homoerotic innuendo.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with 'dual-culture' cons like GaymerX as long as they aren't exclusionary and cultish. It's a pretty natural way of partitioning the space of possible conventions and giving people more options as to what kind of convention they want to attend.

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yes, you can block those people and avoid servers or communities where behavior is problematic.  Then what you can do is form a group of peers to play with where you can safely get your game on without people being shitheads... Maybe even some kind of 'community' or even a convention...?  Wait riiiiiiiiight, that's what some of you were moaning about being stupid in the FIRST place.  Funny that.

So, you should avoid all homophobic shitheads but NOT form communities of queer gamers who can get along all queerily while playing Smash cause that's you wanting to be a special snowflake or some shit.  Cool, got it, makes sense.

When did I moan about the idea of gaming with friends you know you like?

I don't think it's necessary to box yourself off in a 'safe-space' or insular community, because I would worry that this would be an echo chamber in which the members persuade themselves that everybody outside doesn't like them- and wants to turn them into victims.

Nasty people who would say horrible things to you about your sexual orientation aren't all that common, and I think we should take a more level headed approach towards such snarky comments;

Who cares if someone calls you a fag? That's essentially them saying 'Oi! I am trying to upset you!'. Well, so what? Treat them exactly as you would a random person accusing your mother of being a whore; ignore them and carry on enjoying your life.

• Like 2

One thing I always wonder, and this is an actual question I want to ask, not an attack on anyone.

I can understand people want characters they can relate to, hence gay people want more gay characters. That's all fine, but...
How are people being attacked for being gay without people knowing about it; what gives it away? And if they do tell they are gay, why is it important to tell your peers; what "makes" you tell them?

I'm genuinely curious about the last two questions, because to be honest, it kind of boggles my mind how this whole thing happens or how gay gamers feel about it.

Edited by Recel