Rant: Y U NOT GAY, GAMES?!

AlexInsane

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhh, guys, 'Shounen Anime' is a term for anime that is targeted a male audience, like Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Naruto, and the stuff like that.  You are confusing 'Shounen Anime' with 'BL/Boys Love' and 'Yaoi' anime.  Shounen anime really is just 'guy stuff', not 'gay stuff'.

No. It's all shonen now. Ur weeboo God has spoken. 

1 minute ago, Imperial Impact said:

Nah 

1366875039778.png

He blinked in your gif. He could care less bout her butt. He wants the fresh stuff. I'm so sorry for your loss. 

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So it's absolutely NOT a forum primarily for furries, with no real audience other than furries, to talk about furry stuff, while you post from behind a wolf/werewolf-whatever avatar?  Glad we cleared THAT one up.

I think you're confusing sharing a common interest with being insular, or the cultivation of a persecution complex.

This forum's users are actually much more critical of the furrydom than most outsiders, which actually used to drive some furries away from the old fur affinity forums.

But I digress, people making fun of you on the internet, for whatever reason, is a non issue, because it's so easy to remedy the problem with a few mouse clicks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So it's absolutely NOT a forum primarily for furries, with no real audience other than furries, to talk about furry stuff, while you post from behind a wolf/werewolf-whatever avatar?  Glad we cleared THAT one up.

No. This is clearly an LGBT etc forum with a tiny bit of furry stuff sprinkled on top. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ah, so its just a forum to a sub-group of furries.  That doesn't sound insular at alllllll.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show; you seem to have it in your head that, if you can prove that I have a double standard because I choose friends who I share common interests with, that this would justify a gay victimisation complex.

That's clearly a non sequitur.

Hence I think you're confusing sharing a common interest with being insular, or the cultivation of a persecution complex. [yes, that's the clause you omitted when you quoted me]

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harbinger said:

A forum for furries, not Furfags united, its not aimed at sexualites, its aimed at people who enjoy furry shit, like gaming conventions are aimed at people who enjoy fucking games.

So you agree that the only reason that people play games is for the fucking games. Okay. Good.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

And now you've figured out why a bunch of queer gamers started a queer gamer con! \o/

I think you're selectively ignoring content, Ashley.

I didn't ask why gay people form cliques. I expressed concerns that some gay people have bought into a narrative of victimisation, and that in some groups this persecution complex is reinforced to the detriment of its members. I'm worried that they'll end up being over-sensitised, so that the taunts of online trolls could cause them genuine grief, or that they might end up buying so much into a narrative of victimisation that they start feeling hurt about sonic the hedgehog not having a gay best friend. 

When people end up being upset by their perceptions of fictional characters' sexual orientation and so forth, I think they need to take a step back and realise that there genuinely is no victimisation happening.

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I do realise that it is a distraction you're using to avoid addressing my point, though.

Nah, your concern is just irrelevant and not a real concern so I'm not terribly interested in it.  Especially as you post here on a forum for furries, where you hide from other furries, instead of posting about furry stuff on a more mainstream site.  I just have no interest in your imagined concern that something like GaymerX will turn the GLBT gamer scene into acting like a few dorks on Tumblr who's ideas you give far too much attention to.

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Nah, your concern is just irrelevant and not a real concern so I'm not terribly interested in it.  Especially as you post here on a forum for furries, where you hide from other furries, instead of posting about furry stuff on a more mainstream site.  I just have no interest in your imagined concern that something like GaymerX will turn the GLBT gamer scene into acting like a few dorks on Tumblr who's ideas you give far too much attention to.

I post furry art that I draw on my human facebook page. I don't know why you presume to know what I do else-where on the internet, but nevermind.

I'm just trying to communicate to you how silly and over sensitive it is to get upset about the perceived sexuality of friggin' video games characters. I know that circles of gay people can become over-sensitive because they are convinced that even the mildest negative comment amounts to prejudicial treatment; at my last college the LGBT society took the move of asking the college to punish a student because she wrote that she thought Lesbian kissing was gross on her personal twitter account, despite my best efforts to persuade them that they shouldn't care what other people think about that- and that people are entitled to be prudish; it should not hurt their feelings.

At my current university I found myself arguing with a woman who wanted the university to specifically single out gay applicants and target them for special treatment, because 'they often worry that they will be persecuted for being gay', and that this disadvantages them. I didn't think all gay people do worry about that, but singling them out for special treatment in their university applications- as if they genuinely do have to worry about being persecuted in Academia, would only indulge the persecution complex which was the problem in the first place. ;\

We've just go to be less sensitive; who gives a shit if there isn't a token gay character in your favourite tv show? We're not friggin' babies.

Edited by Saxon
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Please pay attention to the arguments being made, rather than whatever irrelevant article takes your fancy. ._.

@AshleyAshes, i think it's worth mentioning that you do this almost all of the time. your ability to argue the actual point and not pull out a tangential (and irrelevant) argument is nonexistent at best. 

just been noticing this whenever you join/start an argument.

Edited by evan

2 minutes ago, evan said:

@AshleyAshes, i think it's worth mentioning that you do this almost all of the time. your ability to argue the actual point and not pull out a tangential (and irrelevant) argument is nonexistent at best. 

just been noticing this whenever you join/start an argument.

You say that as if I don't do it on purpose. ^_^

6 minutes ago, evan said:

so you like being unapproachable?

Why bother with ten pages of point/counter-point when nether party has any interest in any opinion rather than their own when you can just cherry pick the moments when someone says 'Stupid children deserve to die' or 'My human facebook page' instead?

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why bother with ten pages of point/counter-point when nether party has any interest in any opinion rather than their own when you can just cherry pick the moments when someone says 'Stupid children deserve to die' or 'My human facebook page' instead?

Why aren't you interested in a counter opinion?

Honestly, this is becoming my biggest complaint with the forum. It seems like everyone who is the most excited to argue is just trying to do it to get other people annoyed. I guess it's effective because the group stigma becomes "nobody likes you when you talk", so yes it's a successful way of pissing people off, but why?

All I've started to figure is that people aren't close minded based on their arguments; they argue close-mindedly to compensate for the fact that they're so insecure about their opinions that they don't even want to try to hear a different one.

That's just disappointing. And frankly, you might be entertained, but I'm bored as shit of it. It's all the same, and whether or not "internet arguments are pointless" (a fair stigma when you consider some users that literally come back to a bitcoin thread to argue for 11 pages despite no chance of sympathy) it's more depressing that I can expect to be disappointed the second I walk in.

This is all the forum is becoming, too. I actually like it when there's some level of intelligent discourse because things happen in that; moments of either realization or education. We may not agree but we could have bothered to actually learn something out of it, other than "wow Ashley is annoying as hell". Now it's just reactionary drama and cherry picking? oh boy. :\

I get this will have no effect on you. It's more formally my way of ranting about the fact that it has to be this way at all.

You aren't stupid, yet I don't know how I'm supposed to respect you.

Edited by evan

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Well, obviously respect isn't what I'm going for here, is it?

Your facade is for your own entertainment. I understand that.

It was more to be stated, than it was for you to consider, seeing as I knew you wouldn't.

Honestly, I can't even figure out what this latest argument is even about. It seems like there's three issues involved in it: the treatment of LGBT players in multiplayer games, whether or not LGBT labeled spaces/events are valuable, and whether or not LGBT labeled spaces/events are detrimentally insular. The latter two issues concerning spaces also may be divided based on whether they apply to all such spaces or to particular spaces; that distinction is important.

While these points are obviously related, they are still separate things. All I'm getting out of the exchange here is everything muddled together into what is probably some much broader but underspecified cultural argument.

• Like 3

It looks like a race to the bottom in terms of becoming the most unpopular user on the forum.

Someone new has taken the lead. 

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Just ignore her for now on, she can't find a real point to save her life

If only more people could be like Rolfe Dewolf. 

1 hour ago, AlexInsane said:

Holy mother of fuck, what happened to this thread.

Cut. Stop. MAKE IT STOP. STOP THE RIDE, I WANT TO GET OFF, PULL THE PLUG, HIT THE BUTTONS, AAAAAAGHHHHH. 

No. We're not through yet.