14 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Still, I have no idea how they hyperspaced that planet from star to star.

I don't remember the lines too clearly, but when I heard them describing it, it sounded like whatever it fired was traveling through hyperspace, not the planet itself. I thought it was a 1 or 2 shot deal. The shoot it twice, deplete the star, then abandon the doomed planet. They seemed pretty much guaranteed to get 1 shot off and 2 shots probably would have been enough. If they could move it, it would have been smarter to move it immediately after firing, so that nobody could easily figure out where it would fire from next.

Ugh >_< I haven't argued Star Wars fiction in more than half a decade. Halp, I'm nerd-relapsing!

Edited by DrGravitas
Spelling
  • Like 1

I liked the movie.

Particularly how the stormtroopers actually looked like a competent and threatening military force on screen for once. Seriously, in the older movies almost all of their best accomplishments happen off screen and then they fail horribly during their screen time.

The protagonist gets his ass kicked by a line trooper. Not an officer, not a sith or jedi, just a stormtrooper. That was magnificent.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

I don't remember the lines too clearly, but when I heard them describing it, it sounded like whatever it fired was traveling through hyperspace, not the planet itself. I thought it was a 1 or 2 shot deal. The shoot it twice, deplete the star, then abandon the doomed planet. They seemed pretty much guaranteed to get 1 shot off and 2 shots probably would have been enough. If they could move it, it would have been smarter to move it immediately after firing, so that nobody could easily figure out where it would fire from next.

Ugh >_< I haven't argued Star Wars fiction in more than half a decade. Halp, I'm nerd-relapsing!

Come to the dork side.

While it is quite possible that doomsday planet was only designed to be used twice, it does seem a little odd to put that much resources and money and time to build that, as it would require an insane amount of work to build. Makes more sense they could move it somehow. Also makes the second shot seem wasted, just to destroy a small resistance base (that looked suspiciously like the yevin base). Although they could have figured once the resistance and republic was gone they didn't need it anymore, but they way they acted and the little hitler speech hux did made it sound like it could be shot multiple times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

I liked the movie.

Particularly how the stormtroopers actually looked like a competent and threatening military force on screen for once. Seriously, in the older movies almost all of their best accomplishments happen off screen and then they fail horribly during their screen time.

The protagonist gets his ass kicked by a line trooper. Not an officer, not a sith or jedi, just a stormtrooper. That was magnificent.

I was interested in the background, trying to find more info on the First Order and New Republic etc. Where the movie fails to explain a lot, the new expanded universe answers a lot. I liked how the doctrine for Stormtroopers changed from "Oh spam troopers until resistance collapses" to actually training their soldiers better due to the military limitations set by the New Republic. Same for their ships AFAIK

Then again the imperial remnants fled where the feeble new republic couldn't stretch their newfounded army and built the Starkiller base beyond their watchful eyes... What was there to stop them from breaking the rest of the limitations I have no idea. It was 30 years after the collapse of the empire so maybe they just liked having efficient troopers for a change.

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Come to the dork side.

While it is quite possible that doomsday planet was only designed to be used twice, it does seem a little odd to put that much resources and money and time to build that, as it would require an insane amount of work to build. Makes more sense they could move it somehow. Also makes the second shot seem wasted, just to destroy a small resistance base (that looked suspiciously like the yevin base). Although they could have figured once the resistance and republic was gone they didn't need it anymore, but they way they acted and the little hitler speech hux did made it sound like it could be shot multiple times.

Making a comparatively cheaper platform that could move and project its power over great distances, possibly by using smaller craft?

I have no inclination to hear such nonsense :V