Shit is hitting the fan

Rassah

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

[regarding unemployment rate]

citationneeded.png.c8bb46674e68a17221ee2

Sorry I missed that.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/suppl1/f/real_unemployment_rate.htm
http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts
And a contrasting opinion of the above link for fairness http://www.economonitor.com/dolanecon/2015/06/15/deconstructing-shadowstats-part-2-in-search-of-an-alternative-measure-of-unemployment/

So, depending on what you believe, the actual unemployment rate right now is anywhere from about 10% to about 20%. Personally, I think the shadowstats is a bit extreme, BUT at the same time, since 2008, we have undoubtedly had a lot of people who would like to work, but are so discouraged for WAY over the maximum 12 month period used in the official statistics, and thus would be excluded even by the official higher number.

Plus, if you look at the actual number of people who are (officially) employed (there's probably a lot of grey market employment) http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/employed-persons you'll see that our economic situation in US currently has less than half of the people, about 40%, supporting the other 60%. That just can't be good no matter how you look at it.

Edited by Rassah

1 hour ago, Kinharia said:

I already plan to move to either France, Belgium or Germany eventually. Potentially Canada or the US if the right economic conditions allow it.

Until you mentioned Ireland I figured you were in Canada, since we just got out from under 10 years of conservative rule. We got through 2008 sorta okay (compared to other countries) but conservative policy over the last decade has mainly focused on oil sands development and real estate investment to the exclusion of everything else. Oil prices have collapsed and we're in the middle of a housing bubble, all right before what looks to be another global recession. Stay far away from Canada for now (alternatively buy a house here when the bubble finally pops).

10 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Jeez the giant walls of text are back.

KD is much more enjoyable than ramen.

Especially if you use two packets instead of one and then turbo charge it by adding extra actual real cheese. 

this is the right opinion, i also add chili flakes

I really don't know why Rassah cares so much about this since everyone is struggling these days doing common jobs as well as trade skills. Considering i work washing dishes and enjoy my job it's not much but keeps me busy knowing i can do a job that most others for some reason don't want to.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pignog said:

Until you mentioned Ireland I figured you were in Canada, since we just got out from under 10 years of conservative rule. We got through 2008 sorta okay (compared to other countries)...

Canada (rightfully so) is a renting culture instead of house ownership culture. At least until 2008, if you wanted to buy a house, you were required to have at least 10% (or 20%?) downpayment, interest on mortgages wasn't very low (not subsidized), and mortgage interest payments were not tax deductible (I don't know if any of that changed recently). Basically, there was no benefit to owning vs renting, and home owners would usually be people who actually know what the hell they are doing, investing in a large complicated asset like that. In US, on the other hand, we had home sales with no money down, interest subsidized by government, and mortgage interest is tax deductible, meaning it's cheaper to own than to rent. We also have this stupid idea in our country that a home is your biggest asset, when the home you live in is not in any way an asset. So we ended up with a ton of morons, getting into situations they had no clue how to handle, by buying houses they had no clue how to manage. And then we took all those loans backed by morons and sold them to the rest of the world (but not so much to Canada). In this case Canada did something very much right, and it's why Canada was almost unaffected by 2008, compared to the rest of the world.

15 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

There will never be a bitcoin or ramen based economy.

Au contraire http://bravenewcoin.com/news/sneak-peek-at-bitcoins-upcoming-killer-app-open-bazaar/

11 minutes ago, RTDragon said:

I really don't know why Rassah cares so much about this since everyone is struggling these days doing common jobs as well as trade skills. Considering i work washing dishes and enjoy my job it's not much but keeps me busy knowing i can do a job that most others for some reason don't want to.

The problem is that those common jobs and trade skills that everyone is struggling with are about to start disappearing. Even washing dishes at a restaurant depends on people having expendable income to go to the restaurant. Just giving a heads-up warning.

Edited by Rassah

10 minutes ago, Rassah said:

The problem is that those common jobs and trade skills that everyone is struggling with are about to start disappearing. Even washing dishes at a restaurant depends on people having expendable income to go to the restaurant. Just giving a heads-up warning.

I don't think you understand this at all i had my job for years since no one is willing to do jobs such as these. Most younger people most likely want to high paying jobs. But most have experience requirements. So really there's nothing wrong with trades or low paying jobs even volunteering ones. For someone who really cares so much about their rich bitcoins. You still don't seem to get it.

6 hours ago, Azure said:

Why does anyone eat ramen at all? not real actual ramen but that nasty 34 cent a package plastic tasting shit. I get that you are either too lazy to learn how to cook, or get a job during college, or any other lame excuse for putting that toxic salt lick garbage tier food into your body, but please dont say its tasty. Stop fooling yourselves

lol even with a job in college you will probably still at some point in time have to buy a box of ramen. also making ramen still requires some level of skill to cook and a lot of freshmen are apparently too stupid to realize that you have to add water to it.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Rassah incorrectly assumes why Canadians rent because he doesn't know the median cost of a single detached home in Canada's major cities. :P

Spoiler:  Homes cost batshit crazy money unless you want to live in New Brunswick, or Timmons, or something.  @_@

True. 

Anything downtown is over a million now. 

Anything midtown is three quarters of a million now.

Those are just average run of the mill homes. Nothing special. 

9 minutes ago, RTDragon said:

I don't think you understand this at all i had my job for years since no one is willing to do jobs such as these. Most younger people most likely want to high paying jobs. But most have experience requirements. So really there's nothing wrong with trades or low paying jobs even volunteering ones. For someone who really cares so much about their rich bitcoins. You still don't seem to get it.

Oh, no, that I get. I just misunderstood you the first time, sorry. Yeah, if you're that type of a person, this probably won't hurt you as much as others. Though if things get desperate enough, even the young people who want high paying jobs may change their minds and come after yours.
I'm not sure what me caring about my rich bitcoins has to do with this or me not getting it, though.

9 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Rassah incorrectly assumes why Canadians rent because he doesn't know the median cost of a single detached home in Canada's major cities. :P

Spoiler:  Homes cost batshit crazy money unless you want to live in New Brunswick, or Timmons, or something.  @_@

Um, no, I "assume" that because that was part of the Global Economic Analysis Post 2008 in the Harvard Business School case study I had to read as part of my Master's degree Global Econ class. And from things I have read elsewhere. This about PRE 2008 stuff, not post. We have ridiculously expensive housing here in US at one point too. I remember before 2008, driving into downtown Toronto, seeing the new apartments going up by the downtown arena area (near Ripley's), advertising pretty large spaces for $50k to $75k. This past November they were being advertised for $500k. Someone here mentioned Canada's housing bubble. That'd be why.

6 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Oh, no, that I get. I just misunderstood you the first time, sorry. Yeah, if you're that type of a person, this probably won't hurt you as much as others. Though if things get desperate enough, even the young people who want high paying jobs may change their minds and come after yours.
I'm not sure what me caring about my rich bitcoins has to do with this or me not getting it, though.

Um, no, I "assume" that because that was part of the Global Economic Analysis Post 2008 in the Harvard Business School case study I had to read as part of my Master's degree Global Econ class. And from things I have read elsewhere. This about PRE 2008 stuff, not post. We have ridiculously expensive housing here in US at one point too. I remember before 2008, driving into downtown Toronto, seeing the new apartments going up by the downtown arena area (near Ripley's), advertising pretty large spaces for $50k to $75k. This past November they were being advertised for $500k. Someone here mentioned Canada's housing bubble. That'd be why.

The aquarium wasn't there until 2013.

12 minutes ago, Rassah said:

the downtown arena area (near Ripley's),

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!  ...I'm sorry, only Canadians will understand why I find this funny.  'Downtown Arena Area'... He he he, xD

advertising pretty large spaces for $50k to $75k.

Now, I'm going to assume you mean 'Just before the crash' since 'Pre 2008' would include the 1920's when you could get a Coke for a nickle.  So without further information, I'm going to assume you mean the 'Mid-Aughts'.  ...No.  No Rassah, no.  Housing prices have only gone up like 25% since 2008, youw ere NOT seeing $50 000 condos on the god damned waterfront.  You just warned.  Let me translate this to American for you: "Back in 2007, you could get a Condo in Manhattan for only $75 000!"  New Yorkers be like 'Was it a $75 000 cardboard box in an alley...?'

6 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

The aquarium wasn't there until 2013.

I feel like he just looked it up on Google Earth for the first object of reference in downtown Toronto and somehow missed the giant concrete penis we built in the 1960's.

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!  ...I'm sorry, only Canadians will understand why I find this funny.  'Downtown Arena Area'... He he he, xD

Now, I'm going to assume you mean 'Just before the crash' since 'Pre 2008' would include the 1920's when you could get a Coke for a nickle.  So without further information, I'm going to assume you mean the 'Mid-Aughts'.  ...No.  No Rassah, no.  Housing prices have only gone up like 25% since 2008, youw ere NOT seeing $50 000 condos on the god damned water front for $50-75k.  You just warned.  Let me translate this to American for you: "Back in 2007, you could get a Condo in Manhattan for only $75 000!"  New Yorkers be like 'Was it a $75 000 cardboard box in an alley...?'

This. The waterfront is incredibly expensive. You pricing is way off. Maybe your thick glasses were catching lamp glare and you didn't see the prices correctly.

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

This. The waterfront is incredibly expensive. You pricing is way off. Maybe your thick glasses were catching lamp glare and you didn't see the prices correctly.

For the sake of comparison, my family bought a bungalow in Cornwall, Ontario, one of the lamest parts of Canada where the only things of interest are the Wal-Mart and crystal meth, for about $100 000 in 2001.  This was NOT chosen in lieu of spacious waterfront property in Downtown Toronto, conveniently located within walking range of the largest transportation hub in the nation and the wealth of entertainment available in the 'Downtown Arena Area'.

24 minutes ago, Rassah said:

You are totally hopeless Rassah why argue with everyone when it's clear your bitcoins can't buy you happiness. I really doubt that considering one most young people will screw up job interviews based on their attitude.

2 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

"Waterfront"

waterfrjnt ov where, buck? Where in canada

houses do not cost jillions everywhere in canada

only if you want to live in hell do houses cost that much

aka Toronto Vancouver Ottawa Montreal 

Want a cheap house. Go to the east coast. The land of welfare.

Everywhere else it's expensive. 

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

Want a cheap house. Go to the east coast. The land of welfare.

Everywhere else it's expensive. 

Completely false

was just talking with my friend about buying a really nice house for $30k

ftirnd in Alberta or Sask bought a house,barn and land for $30k

youre a liar

please don't talk about Canadian house pricing unless you live here

6 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

Toronto Vancouver Ottawa Montreal 

For clarity, since many of you reading Gamedog's post here are not Canadian;  The Greater Toronto Area, Greater Vancouver, Greater Montreal and Ottawa–Gatineau regions comprise 13.6 million people or 38% of Canada's total population of 35 million people.  So, while he's trying to dismiss these regions as only being four cities out of our entire nation, he's trying to dismiss more than one third of the nation's population.

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gamedog said:

Completely false

was just talking with my friend about buying a really nice house for $30k

ftirnd in Alberta or Sask bought a house,barn and land for $30k

youre a liar

please don't talk about Canadian house pricing unless you live here

In the middle of nowhere where nobody wants to live maybe.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

For clarity, since many of you reading Gamedog's post here are not Canadian;  The Greater Toronto Area, Greater Vancouver, Greater Montreal and Ottawa–Gatineau regions comprise 13.6 million people or 38% of Canada's total population of 35 million people.  So, while he's trying to dismiss these regions as only being four cities out of our entire nation, he's trying to dismiss more than one third of the nation's population.

This is true. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

In the middle of nowhere where nobody wants to live maybe.

Lots of jobs in the middle of nowhere!  I mean, he is RIGHT, I mean, I have no idea what SHIT HOLE he's getting for $30 000, BUT, I could get a decent house for a mortgage that would cost me less than what I paid in rent on an apartment.  ...If I enjoyed driving 5hrs a day to commute to work.  This is generally the issue for a LOT of Canadians who live in the Nation's major population centers: A lot of the jobs are in these cities and a lot of industries, including mine, do not exist outside of these cities.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Lots of jobs in the middle of nowhere!  I mean, he is RIGHT, I mean, I have no idea what SHIT HOLE he's getting for $30 000, BUT, I could get a decent house for a mortgage that would cost me less than what I paid in rent on an apartment.  ...If I enjoyed driving 5hrs a day to commute to work.  This is generally the issue for a LOT of Canadians who live in the Nation's major population centers: A lot of the jobs are in these cities and a lot of industries, including mine, do not exist outside of these cities.

My parking space is worth more than his house. 

I'm not in the middle of nowhere unfortunately 

but the house was great

quiet neighbourhood

right near a park

3bdrm 1 bath

open concept living room + kitchen

basement, fenced yard

i want to be in middle of nowhere though so I'm renting until ready to go to Manitoba, BC, or Alberta 

40 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Not only it is expensive, but waterfront property has higher rates of insurance due to it being a "flood risk". Especially if you are in Hurricane Alley on the east coast. Anyone buying waterfront property is stupid. 

If you got it cheap, i'd be worried that there's damage in the house or mold.

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Not only it is expensive, but waterfront property has higher rates of insurance due to it being a "flood risk". Especially if you are in Hurricane Alley on the east coast. Anyone buying waterfront property is stupid. 

Well, the hurricane risk isn't much of a concern on the coast of one of the great lakes... ^_^;;;;;;;;

Friend rented on waterfront in New Brunswick or some shit and said it was horribly cold, fast winds all winter

i mean that's rad to someone like me but for someone who likes beaches and shit, east and west coast are not the place to be

most people think lake-front property

stay away from Lake Erie though, it's absolute garbage

provlen with waterfront property of any kind is if you live close to or below the water line. Then you can enjoy black mold in basement

Edited by Gamedog

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

There are no houses on the waterfront in downtown Toronto. 

The only thing you can buy is a condo.