Shit is hitting the fan

Rassah

Just now, WileyWarWeasel said:

You certainly have a lot of faith in a currency fixing everything ^^

I think it's more to do with a currency that can't be easily manipulated. I'd even give Bitcoin a go, but it's not really a thing here (yet) and I know virtually nothing about it.

Oh well. 

• Like 1

Yeah, what Fox said. Just as Internet has caused tons of headaches for those who try to limit or manipulate information and communication (news, phone companies, government censorship, access to knowledge) because internet provided us with censorship resistant and difficult to manipulate (web archive, Streisand effect) global communication system, Bitcoin will hopefully cause a ton of headaches to those who manipulate financial stuff (currencies, investments), and try to censor or restrict people from having access to global finance. One of the things that excites me most is that in a world where even getting a bank account is difficult for most people (on the planet), with this anyone can get a global online bank account just by installing an app. I can't wait to see people in third world starting to sell their goods globally, something that is now only possible for global megacorps, just from their cell phone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rassah said:

Yeah, what Fox said. Just as Internet has caused tons of headaches for those who try to limit or manipulate information and communication (news, phone companies, government censorship, access to knowledge) because internet provided us with censorship resistant and difficult to manipulate (web archive, Streisand effect) global communication system, Bitcoin will hopefully cause a ton of headaches to those who manipulate financial stuff (currencies, investments), and try to censor or restrict people from having access to global finance. One of the things that excites me most is that in a world where even getting a bank account is difficult for most people (on the planet), with this anyone can get a global online bank account just by installing an app. I can't wait to see people in third world starting to sell their goods globally, something that is now only possible for global megacorps, just from their cell phone.

It's a far cry from fixing all of the world's problems like you mentioned in your previous comment but it does add an extra (I daresay more independent) layer to global finance.

17 hours ago, Rassah said:

I'm not that smart or well connected to the rest of the world. Not as well as these people I know. If I tell you something, it's just my somewhat informed opinion. If someone like ex VP of JP Morgan Chase, or a VC who invests in oil exploration companies tells me something, I tend to listen and believe them more than whatever the heck I might hold as an opinion. It's not me bragging about whom I know, it's just my appeal to authority.

Ringtail dick, not dog dick. And best ringtail in the world at that.

That might be a big hard to do. How to you distribute a Lamborghini to a bunch of widows and orphans? Break it up into pieces? What would someone want with a yellow car door handle? Ditto for expensive hotels, and even factories. A lot of those things only work and have value because they are all together, and controlled by one person in one direction...

I was going to redstribute their organs into jars and build a pyramid out of them...the rest can be scrapped and repurposed into something less gaudy

@Rassah, I do have to say though that internet speed isn't entirely an evil coorperation thing, basically the rule in telecommunications is the type of signal you use (how much data it can carry), and how it works over distance.

You can use copper lines run from the signal source, and while some frequencies carry more data they are limited with distance, while things like old school dsl can go super far.

So if the signal being pushed into fiber is 10000000000gb or something stupid like that, and the device on the end can read it, that's how much you get. You push that much into copper, it will not reach far or burn out the line.

Plus, companies explicitly own the connection.... so open source internet would have to have a facility to generate the source and tie into global networks, and some kind of phsyical connection to a device near where the internet is desired.

Now, if perhaps there were publicly funded satellites with a master satellite dish in a high elevation high visibility location in each population area, with secondary satellites around each residential area, that could be public. All you would have to do is buy a dish and hook the thing up and you would be able to tap into a network.

Y'know, instead of old phone lines or coax networks (which function more as a pool).

I for one am deeply entertained with how Rassah believes that mesh networks, which are disgustingly inefficient and entirely, wholefully, unsuitable to sustain the ever increasing bandwidth that we produce as a planet, will somehow revolutionize internet access.  Also curious how his peer-to-peer cellphone fantasy world will cross the oceans and other major geographic obstacles.  $20 says his solution is 'Oh, well just McGuffin, er, invent something to make it work'.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I for one am deeply entertained with how Rassah believes that mesh networks, which are disgustingly inefficient and entirely, wholefully, unsuitable to sustain the ever increasing bandwidth that we produce as a planet, will somehow revolutionize internet access.  Also curious how his peer-to-peer cellphone fantasy world will cross the oceans and other major geographic obstacles.  $20 says his solution is 'Oh, well just McGuffin, er, invent something to make it work'.

To me, you're all nerds lol

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

The bitcoin community can pretty much be used as the baseline definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johanna Waya said:

I do have to say though that internet speed isn't entirely an evil coorperation thing, basically the rule in telecommunications is the type of signal you use (how much data it can carry), and how it works over distance.

When I said faster speeds, I meant for what you have to pay. Not in general. Typically high speeds either cost over a hundred dollars a month, or are simply not offered in areas with a near monopoly of ISPs (you might have cable based option, and that's it). This would be peer to peer mesh over WiFi and similar radio devices, but very likely much cheaper. Than commercial alternatives.

Plus, companies explicitly own the connection.... so open source internet would have to have a facility to generate the source and tie into global networks, and some kind of phsyical connection to a device near where the internet is desired.

It would just be the connections we use now. Basically, here's the benefit that bitcoin makes possible:

Why do people not bother setting up mesh networks and sharing their internet now? Because they pay for their service, and don't want freeloaders draining their bandwidth. Bitcoin has payment system that's able to process hundreds of tiny transactions a second (called Micro-transaction Channel). And such a thing can be programmed with software right into WiFi routers. This means that, with such a system, you can connect to a router, and pay it fractions of a penny, directly, for every kilobyte you download, on the fly as you are downloading. No need to register an account or give anyone your credit card number. So, thanks to this, anyone can share their internet over WiFi, and anyone can securely pay for only what they use directly to the devices they connect to. And if both you and your neighbor set this up, your routers would just keep paying each other, and if you use the same amount of data as him, it will just be a wash.

So, basically, bitcoin solves the freeloader problem that's been preventing mesh networks from catching on, allows mesh to seamlessly tap into the existing internet infrastructure, until the mesh is large enough to replace it, and allows anyone to use their device to connect to any other devices on the fly. Mesh can also achieve higher speeds than a direct single line connection, since it can pipe the data through multiple channels simultaneously. Like downloading a BitTorrent file from many users at once. And with this setup there's also an incentive to provide the fastest possible connection, since if yours is faster than your neighbor's, he'll end up using a bit more of your data than his own, and you'll earn more as a result.

2 hours ago, kazooie said:

The bitcoin community can pretty much be used as the baseline definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Actually, the whole Bitcoin thing has demonstrated that those who accuse others of Dunning-Kruger, are actually themselves suffering from Dunning-Kruger effect. They assume they have superior knowledge of things like money, economics, game theory, networks, and Bitcoin in general, don't understand why Bitcoin community claims what it claims, and instead of thinking that maybe they don't quite get it, simply dismiss bitcoiners as suffering from Dunning-Kruger, believing themselves to be more knowledgeable.

But they're not. It's a Dunning-Kruger Inception. 6tails demonstrated that here already, making authoritative "I'm smarter than you!" claims and calling me a moron, about a topic he apparently completely misunderstood and lacked knowledge in. But at least he wasn't stupid enough to accuse me and the Bitcoin community of suffering from Dunning-Kruger like you have X(

Edited by Rassah

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

I am not the Kruger, it is you who is the Kruger!

The actual mechanics and scaling issues of the protocol have been analyzed quite thoroughly at this point on many, many websites by many, many experts.

An actual developer of the protocol has even come out and analyzed the flaws of the protocol. 

We had an entire discussion on the previous incarnation of FAF regarding the flaws of the protocol. 

Despite all of this, you still wrote a grandstanding paragraph about how bitcoin can help solve the problems of the third world and will help free us from the tyranny of bankers. 

Edited by kazooie
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, kazooie said:

The actual mechanics and scaling issues of the protocol have been analyzed quite thoroughly at this point on many, many websites by many, many experts.

An actual developer of the protocol has even come out and analyzed the flaws of the protocol. 

We had an entire discussion on the previous incarnation of FAF regarding the flaws of the protocol. 

And this is where the Dunning-Kruger comes in. Bitcoin was an idea that was considered impossible beforehand. So when it came out, so called "experts" who aren't actually involved with it but look at it from outside, who either don't understand it, or point out obvious flaws that those who actually work on the protocol already know about and already have planned fixes for.

Bitcoin also turns a lot of our accepted ideas on their head (only government can create money, deflation is bad, financial privacy is bad, being able to pay for anything you want is bad, keeping your income and not paying taxes is bad, etc).

So, with thise preconceptions in mind, some others read these articles and analyses by these "experts," feel like they have become experts on the topic themselves, and start calling those who actually work in this deep and complex field (which involves not just programming, networking, and cryptography, but also finance, accounting, and economics) as suffering from Dunning-Kruger. After all, "these experts said so and so, so obviously you don't know what you're talking about!"

Pretty funny how that turned out...

Oh, and "the actual developer" didn't analyze the flaws. First, he is one of over a hundred "actual developers," and the flaws he brought up have been known since the beginning, and have had solutions for those flaws since the very beginning. What this developer brought us is issues in the developer community, where people have come up with multiple solutions to those flaws, and they can't settle on picking one. Because either one will fix those issues, but there's just as much drama in Bitcoin as in the furry fandom.

Edited by Rassah

Geez, even George Sorros, the Democrat's billionaire hero who funds dem candidates and causes, is now claiming we're about to repeat 2008. Though his reasons - China, drop in oil prices, and deflation - are rather sketchy. Re: oil, a drop in the price of energy can't make the economy worse. It can only make it better. So that makes no sense. As for China and deflation, those aren't problems, they're symptoms of inflation created bubbles that drove consumerism beyond its natural limit into an unsustainable bubble, and are the result of that bubble finally popping.

Yay centrally planned monetary policy >.<

1 hour ago, Barnectomy said:

I still think I'm going to avoid Bitcoin...

This isn't what this is about...

46 minutes ago, M said:

I face palmed.

Really? Why? You think higher costs on everything (because everything depends on energy) is better for the economy?

3 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

But it died because it became irrelevant. If a thread goes over a week without a post, it means nobody is interested anymore. .-.

Eh, you may have a point. It is just starting to get relevant, and probably won't become really relevant until the next massive stock market crash and massive round of layoffs. I guess everyone who believes me already knows this, and everyone who thinks I'm just shitposting won't care anyway.

Btw, also stuck in Miami, with my flight delayed possibly 3 days. Bored at a hackathon.

This thread died because shit is no longer hitting the fan, the situation is now normal.

Oil prices have clearly made a recovery and are certainly not just in a dead cat bounce due to the snow storm, short squeeze and speculators finding that the oil glut is not as horrible as first thought (but still getting worse). Job figures are better than ever.

:V

• Like 1

Saw post in "New posts"

I know most people here don't give a fuck about stocks and have nothing in currency exchanges. Unfortunately, most people here do have jobs and some live in economically risky countries. At the least, I hope people aren't going to be making big decisions this year (buy a house, or new car, or consider looking for new job, or graduating from university) which will fuck them over the next. Remember people with under water mortgages, repossessions, and bankruptcies after not being able to pay credit card debt? Many people here probably don't, cause it was 8 years ago.

Edited by Rassah

24 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Saw post in "New posts"

I know most people here don't give a fuck about stocks and have nothing in currency exchanges. Unfortunately, most people here do have jobs and since live in economically risky countries. At the least, I hope people aren't going to be making big decisions this year (buy a house, or new car, or consider looking for new job, or graduating from university) which will fuck them over the next. Remember people with under water mortgages, repossessions, and bankruptcies after not being able to pay credit card debt? Many people here probably don't, cause it was 8 years ago.

You've repeatedly advertised that you have me blocked and then you reply to my posts anyway.  It's funny really. ^_^;

14 minutes ago, evan said:

if you really don't care, you really shouldn't then reply to explain it.

And if he wasn't bothering to look at them, it's rather puzzling as to why he's replying to them.  Cause, he DOES have to look at them, read them, process what they mean, then formulate how he wants to respond, all before he responds to my posts.  It all seems like a rather purposeful series of events despite his claims.  You really can't reply to me, or anyone, claim that you don't care about my or anyone elses posting.  You kinda have to NOT reply for that to be believable.

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, evan said:

if you really don't care, you really shouldn't then reply to explain it.

Because others do care, and she does have some sway among those she hasn't pissed off already.

On a lighter note, the near term may be bleak, but the future is so exciting! So glad to be involved in the cutting edge.

http://singularityhub.com/2015/05/11/the-world-in-2025-8-predictions-for-the-next-10-years/

5 hours ago, Rassah said:

most people here

live in

risky countries

which

have

currency

in

big

under water

fuck

exchanges

17 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

He again flatters me by suggesting that I am the psychic manipulator of this forum. ^_^;

yeah i am also unsure where he is getting this idea of his from. as far as i can tell nobody listens to you. it's kinda silly.

Edited by evan

8 minutes ago, evan said:

yeah i am also unsure where he is getting this idea of his from. as far as i can tell nobody listens to you. it's kinda silly.

I  don't even listen to me!  If I listened to me, I'd eat donuts for supper every day!  But he listens to me so hard, he listens even when he has me 'blocked'. :3

Edited by AshleyAshes

57 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

The shit is hitting the fan because...

Attention whores are attention whoring. 

The only way to kill this thread would be to post lots of cute animal pics in a relentless manner. 

The shit isn't hitting the fan in this insignificant little pocket of furry circle jerking, dude, it's hitting the fan everywhere around the world.

Question, what would people here do if they started losing their jobs, getting foreclosed on houses, having their families go through the same, etc? Would people here complain about this or ask for help in their own threads... and have others shit on them for it? Or would those furs just quietly retreat away?

Edited by Rassah

15 minutes ago, Rassah said:

The shit isn't hitting the fan in this insignificant little pocket of furry circle jerking, dude, it's hitting the fan everywhere around the world.

Question, what would people here do if they started losing their jobs, getting foreclosed on houses, having their families go through the same, etc? Would people here complain about this or ask for help in their own threads... and have others shit on them for it? Or would those furs just quietly retreat away?

They'd be fine, remember how you said that being homeless was the easy life? ^.^

• Like 1