The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

I started watching Baccano! with my friends. This show is fantastic and incredibly unique at that!  Its a show about immortal gangsters and criminals in 1930s New York and their criminal activities about a famous train, The Flying Pussyfoot. What's unique about the show (besides its setting) is that it has no main characters, and the story is told to some degree out of order. The show just constantly moves back and forth between different characters, and it does this to show everyone's side of the story at particular events and how they relate to each other. And the characters are all so colorful and interesting. One episode title even had a joke about one of them:

slaughter.png.75a9dd28d421faf16a5b4ac9d9891cb0.png

The show kind of reminds me of Durarara!! in a way. Its by the same animation studio and writer, and it has a similar style of character switching, but unlike Durarara!!, this is a lot more....Westaboo, if that makes any sense. I think Baccano! would be a lot easier for someone not really into anime to get into than Durarara!!. Its just less....weeb. And I love it. The English dub is really solid too, with a lot of characters having neat accents (New York, Italian, etc) And it does all this with high quality art and animation and fun jazzy music like this:

• Like 1

I have started and stopped Baccano! something like five times, which is vexing, because it is a great show. The problem is that it is frantic and dense, and trying to binge it never works out.

Speaking of dense shows with great music, Mawaru Penguindrum is fascinating, and while I get why a lot of folks don't care for it, I certainly do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, um.

At this point I don't really care if I'm doubleposting because I need to revive this thread to talk about just how astonishingly hard the other shoe has dropped with Made in Abyss. Were this a different week I would probably talk about Shonen Maid—which is, despite its dubious premise, exceedingly wholesome and earnest; I'm using it as something of a buffer/breather series—but I kind of need to share my trauma here. It's not the pointlessly sadistic kind of narrative hammer blow, but I think that honestly made it much, much worse. I mean, Texhnolyze is one of my favourite series. I love dark stuff. But this was actively upsetting in so many different ways, despite the fact that I knew that it was coming and expected something horrible. I was actually taken aback.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad just called me over the phone to let me know that he found and bought a random anime called "Crying Freeman" at a thrift store for me.

He said it was good and that he liked it but that "this anime isn't for you if you're afraid of titties"

My dad is 60+ years old

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So I'm now an owner of the first edition 1999 Kodansha (Manga Ver.) Clow Cards from Cardcaptor Sakura.  They were once owned by a member of an anime club who passed away and they spent over a decade in storage since.  Now I need to find a good way to display them and give them a good home.

IMG_20171106_143303.jpg

I bet they're haunted. OooooOooOooOOOoooo

On 11/6/2017 at 11:41 AM, AshleyAshes said:

So I'm now an owner of the first edition 1999 Kodansha (Manga Ver.) Clow Cards from Cardcaptor Sakura.  They were once owned by a member of an anime club who passed away and they spent over a decade in storage since.  Now I need to find a good way to display them and give them a good home.

IMG_20171106_143303.jpg

Wow! It's Card Captor Sakura The Light Card. Do you have a Clow Card?

21 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

IMG_20171106_143303.jpg

I use to have pretty much if not exactly the same thing (it was missing the watery card though). I lost it a long time ago though.

Also I thought that the new cardcapters episodes won’t be available until 2019. Are they already here?

2 hours ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

I use to have pretty much if not exactly the same thing (it was missing the watery card though). I lost it a long time ago though.

Also I thought that the new cardcapters episodes won’t be available until 2019. Are they already here?

There's a single episode DVD OVA to bridge between both series that was released about a month ago.  Otherwise Clear Card Arc starts in Jan.

And yeah, this set is complete.  The original band that binds the cards together hasn't even been cut yet.  This set is near mint. :o

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

Consider yourself lucky, The show not good.

5a566cc09051f_listendangan.png.b167d69594e19c9afa7c96e332e26ce7.png

>doesn't spend time explaining things to the viewer for a significant portion of the anime, instead having the characters act like they know the world they live in, thus allowing the viewer to piece together the setting just by watching (and thus not treating viewers like they're dumb)
>every character grows and changes as the show progresses in response to the events surrounding them; very few characters are the same from beginning to end
>has slow and semi-realistic romantic progression between Renton and Eureka
>Renton is fairly realistic as a young teen; he's very stupid, immature, somewhat innocent and clueless, and rash, but isn't Shinji Ikari levels of broken inside
>extremely smooth animation with very fancy action sequence as per the usual Bones title (like FMA or Soul Eater)
>high quality music

why don't you like robots on surfboards piloted by anti-government hippies

2 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

Consider yourself lucky, The show not good.

I remember watching one episode but I had no opinion because I didn't know what was going on. I came in late. The main character was like being held hostage by some older guy; had a gun up to him while they were riding somewhere. If the music is anything to go by maybe it's not so bad.

10 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

>extremely smooth animation with very fancy action sequence as per the usual Bones title (like FMA or Soul Eater)

This is a point I tend to never take seriously when someone lists good points about anime because it's almost never the case. There will be 30 seconds to a minute out of 22 minute airings of actual fluent animation usually during action sequences, but the rest of the show will be incredibly dull in it's motion but compensate with excessive effects.

30 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

5a566cc09051f_listendangan.png.b167d69594e19c9afa7c96e332e26ce7.png

>doesn't spend time explaining things to the viewer for a significant portion of the anime, instead having the characters act like they know the world they live in, thus allowing the viewer to piece together the setting just by watching (and thus not treating viewers like they're dumb)
>every character grows and changes as the show progresses in response to the events surrounding them; very few characters are the same from beginning to end
>has slow and semi-realistic romantic progression between Renton and Eureka
>Renton is fairly realistic as a young teen; he's very stupid, immature, somewhat innocent and clueless, and rash, but isn't Shinji Ikari levels of broken inside
>high quality music

why don't you like robots on surfboards piloted by anti-government hippies

The show went for a world building route. (Which the show easily dropped half way in.) But rest of this could be applied to almost every Gundam or Tomino show.

>King Gainer

>Brain Powerd

>Turn A Gundam

>Gundam X

>Gundam g no reconguista

29 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

This is a point I tend to never take seriously when someone lists good points about anime because it's almost never the case. There will be 30 seconds to a minute out of 22 minute airings of actual fluent animation usually during action sequences, but the rest of the show will be incredibly dull in it's motion but compensate with excessive effects.

That's fair I suppose. I guess what I mean is in comparison to most other anime. You ever see an anime that has moments where it gets really choppy, or anime that never have any moments of fluid animation? A lot of Bee Train (.hack//Sign, Tsubasa Resovoir Chronicles) and Gonzo (Samurai 7, Last Exile) shows suffer from this. Gonzo in particular even frequently goes a step farther and gets really inconsistent with its animation where one scene might look gorgeous and then the next will be an action scene with powerpoint presentation levels of animation. Also they have a tendency to mix 2D animation with really bad CG animation. And alternatively there are sometimes shows that'll just have really broken looking animation. For example, this scene in Soul Eater Not:

4siLj25.gif

Which is sad because the previous anime had this (forgive the gif quality):

ChS9KnW.gif

I guess what I'm saying is that Eureka Seven doesn't suffer these problems and has moments where it shines animation wise.

36 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

Which the show easily dropped half way in.

I suppose that's true. Sometime shortly after episode 26 it started explaining all its terminology and such. Though I personally took that as the show telling the viewer the smaller terms that probably slipped by through most of the early episodes, thus giving the viewer a reason to rewatch the series and realize/learn some things they might not have picked up on the first time around. It was just really pleasant to not have that for a good while. At the very least it means you didn't have to suffer through lots of boring exposition early on. It made it easier to get into the show.

But rest of this could be applied to almost every Gundam or Tomino show.

>King Gainer

>Brain Powerd

>Turn A Gundam

>Gundam X

>Gundam g no reconguista

I haven't watched any of those yet and currently the only Gundam I've finished is still 08th MS Team

But does having good things that also appear in other shows not just mean that its good like those other shows?

3 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

That's fair I suppose. I guess what I mean is in comparison to most other anime. You ever see an anime that has moments where it gets really choppy, or anime that never have any moments of fluid animation? A lot of Bee Train (.hack//Sign, Tsubasa Resovoir Chronicles) and Gonzo (Samurai 7, Last Exile) shows suffer from this. Gonzo in particular even frequently goes a step farther and gets really inconsistent with its animation where one scene might look gorgeous and then the next will be an action scene with powerpoint presentation levels of animation. Also they have a tendency to mix 2D animation with really bad CG animation. And alternatively there are sometimes shows that'll just have really broken looking animation. 

You -do- realize that Bones was made up by Ex-members from Sunrise.

Unrelated, but I just wanted to say that I've been watching Made in Abyss and its REALLY good. Its what my avatar is from.

Its refreshing having a show where the characters are just young children. Not the usual teens like you often get. It does a decent job of making sure to not put off children as being completely dumb but also still making them child-like and innocent in some ways. The show also has inventive environments and monster designs that help convey the mystery and horror of the Abyss. One creature in particular that I thought was really cool was a bird that mimics the cries of help of its victims to attract more prey who would go there thinking they're helping someone even though they'd already be dead.  It also has really good music

I can't help but wonder what awaits as they head deeper and deeper into the Abyss. Supposedly the horrors get much worse the deeper they go.

14 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

You -do- realize that Bones was made up by Ex-members from Sunrise.

I did not know this. That explains a lot with regards to how their shows are animated. Sunrise tends to do a pretty good job too.

39 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

One creature in particular that I thought was really cool was a bird that mimics the cries of help of its victims to attract more prey who would go there thinking they're helping someone even though they'd already be dead.

That's exactly like SCP-939 minus being a bird.

The now airing Trigger anime Darling in the Franxx had a REALLY good first episode. It felt like watching one of the Eva rebuilds but with Stardriver x Zoids style-mecha and a female lead that reminds me a bit of Future Diary. No idea where this anime is going to go but it had an interesting start. It seems to me that Hiro should be a bit more concerned with what happened to his original partner though. Not that I can blame him for being distracted by Zero Two.

Zero Two is uh....she's interesting. (slightly NSFW):

11 hours ago, Nova said:

houseki no kuni.

Synopsis: In the distant future, a new immortal and genderless life form called Gems populate the Earth.  The 28 Gems must fight against the Lunarians, who attack them regularly to abduct them and to turn them into decorations. Each Gem is assigned a role, such as a fighter or a medic.

Steven Universe?

• 1 month later...