The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

2 hours ago, Luca said:

Fuck that shit when...

http://berserk-anime.com/

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Ooh, what's this? A continuation or a remake?

Judging from the hotsite it seems like a continuation ~

Edit: Oh, it IS a continuation! And it only took, what, nearly two decades? Can't wait :3

So many good old things are coming back, DBZ, Shenmue, and now this...

Edited by Luka

15 hours ago, Pignog said:

what are the preferred christmas animes and by what objective metric have these been measured

I've never watched it but I hear Tokyo Godfathers is a good Christmas anime. It appears to take place on Christmas Eve as its setting.

16 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

NO ONE TOLD ME THEY RELEASED THIS SHIT LIKE 3 DAYS AGO AND I'M FUCKING STEAMED BUT I DON'T CARE HOLY SHIT!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jojo's <3

Also that environment looks super amazing. If there is a place in Anime I would want to live it's those suburbs.

Crazy Diamond is also my favorite main JoJo stand so it will be awesome to see it animated. though the official subs are prolly going to have to change a lot of stand names which is sad.

On 12/20/2015 at 2:40 PM, Conker said:

Finished Parasyte the other day. Super fucking good anime. Last few episodes really knocked it out of the park; very moving. The philosophy stuff in the final ep was...handled pretty alright, though I have some minor gripes here and there.

But otherwise, great series. Been ages since I watched an anime I legit liked like this.

Parasyte was a good anime, but the philosophy in it was atrocious.   Sorry I can't figure out how to block the next bit in spoiler text so any one who wants to avoid spoilers for Parasyte please avoid reading the next paragraph.

The main character is constantly obsessed about how he might be losing his humanity because he is physically changing into something else.  When any body who has considered the problem of non-identity would easily retort that maintaining your personal identity is not dependent on your physical form.  Also it throws out that tired old cliche of considering that humans might be the most evil animal because they are destroying the world.  Which is a question so old hat and easily answered as to be utterly pathetic.

22 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Parasyte was a good anime, but the philosophy in it was atrocious.   Sorry I can't figure out how to block the next bit in spoiler text so any one who wants to avoid spoilers for Parasyte please avoid reading the next paragraph.

The main character is constantly obsessed about how he might be losing his humanity because he is physically changing into something else.  When any body who has considered the problem of non-identity would easily retort that maintaining your personal identity is not dependent on your physical form.  Also it throws out that tired old cliche of considering that humans might be the most evil animal because they are destroying the world.  Which is a question so old hat and easily answered as to be utterly pathetic.

I feel like that second question wasn't really taken seriously. Like, the villain went on about it, and then the crazy guy, but no one else went "you know, you might be onto something there!"

The other point you made is valid though.

Just now, Imperial Impact said:

Pachinko based on mecha show isn't new.

SDF Macross has one, Dunbine has one, Even fucking Dragonar has one.

What if its not Pachinko? What if its actually good news for a change?

Surely they wouldn't make a hype website for pachinko...R-right?!

Since it hasn't been talked about much yet, Beautiful bones: Sakurako's Investigation is a super awesome show that has been airing this season. I think what I like most is it's positive view of death in the show. It is accepting of death but doesn't treat death like something edgy or depressing, which makes it very interesting and fun to watch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I just read the first manga of "Aku No Hana", and now I'm gonna check out the anime. People say the art is ugly, but I think it's very visually interesting and different from a lot of other anime you see. Plus, I kinda relate to Sawa.

Hope you enjoy it...

I tried it and HATED it. Not even because of the art. I hate the characters, hate the music and pacing of the show...etc. Its different yeah, but I don't think its a good kind of different.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished New Getter Robo. Really shouldn't have constantly picked it up and put it down over and over in favor of other shows like I did. It deserves its attention. Its a fantastic show and now I've finally gotten to see a little bit of Gurren Lagann's origins. Ryoma was a pretty cool character. A shame he's still fighting... 

I think I'm going to get back to watching Yuri Kuma Arashi now, or maybe start really watching One Punch Man. Or finish Diebuster. Dunno which I want to do right now.

Edited by Battlechili

12 minutes ago, willow said:

I didn't know sub elitism was still a thing :/

Yeah, it's a pretty common thing in the anime scene.  I out grew it.  I'll watch subs, but when I watch them I have to close the laptop and watch it entirely, so if dubs are available then I'll get'em.  I mean really, how much do I care about the 'creative interegirty of the Japanese voice acting' for 'that TV show with the tentacle monster and the trap'?

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

And this is how I know I'm surrounded by those that lack any appreciation for a culture.

6tails, I watched 28 episodes of Sword Art Online just to get to Trap Kirito.  If you thought that this was about appreciating another culture, you're mistaken.

God damn do I need to get a Trap Kirito figurine.

Edited by AshleyAshes

on the topic of the thread: I don't watch that much new anime these days mostly because I can't really keep up with the lists and watching them on Crunchyroll. I started watching Osomatsu-san a little bit though.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, it's a pretty common thing in the anime scene.  I out grew it.  I'll watch subs, but when I watch them I have to close the laptop and watch it entirely, so if dubs are available then I'll get'em.  I mean really, how much do I care about the 'creative interegirty of the Japanese voice acting' for 'that TV show with the tentacle monster and the trap'?

I can't say I was ever about that life. even when I was deep into my weeaboo phase. I have no problem watching subs but I'll watch a dub too if it's available. there's pros and cons to each.

Just now, 6tails said:

And this is how I know I'm surrounded by those that lack any appreciation for a culture.

Also, dubs LOSE A LOT in translation, proven fact.

translation loss is bound to happen when you translate any language but it's not as big of a detriment as you claim. a good studio will try to keep it pretty close to the source language but again, you sometimes can't do that without it sounding weird. the same goes for translating anything from English to another language.

the most that's ever lost in a dub are sometimes the jokes because the audience it's being dubbed for wouldn't understand it. but that's something you have to do in translation.

2 minutes ago, willow said:

on the topic of the thread: I don't watch that much new anime these days mostly because I can't really keep up with the lists and watching them on Crunchyroll. I started watching Osomatsu-san a little bit though.

I mostly just pick up whatever looks interesting on Kotaku's 'Top new anime this season' posts they do every 3-4 months.  Sometimes I'm late to the party, but that just means not waiting every week for episodes if I like the show so it's only a handful of shows a year.  It's been MORE lately, I guess I found more shows I got into.  ...Okay, maybe I've been looking up 'Trap' on Danbooru and then checking out the shows the characters are from...  And that's why I downloaded 'Working!!'! :3

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

I mostly just pick up whatever looks interesting on Kotaku's 'Top new anime this season' posts they do every 3-4 months.  Sometimes I'm late to the party, but that just means not waiting every week for episodes if I like the show so it's only a handful of shows a year.  It's been MORE lately, I guess I found more shows I got into.  ...Okay, maybe I've been looking up 'Trap' on Danbooru and then checking out the shows the characters are from...  And that's why I downloaded 'Working!!'! :3

I've mostly been picking up on what's currently popular on Tumblr. sometimes they have good taste and at least then I can justify reblogging half the content on my dash

Just now, willow said:

I've mostly been picking up on what's currently popular on Tumblr. sometimes they have good taste and at least then I can justify reblogging half the content on my dash

The worst I've seen was... God I can't even remember the name, it was this anime about this cool, popular girl who gets high marks in school, but she's secretly this screaming otaku who pays video games all day and demands that her brother do things for her.  This sounds similar to another show, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute, but it was aweful.  6mins in, this girl is screaming, rolling on her bed, wrapped in a blanket, demanding that her brother buy her the latest One Piece manga cause she can't be seen buying it.  The entitlement was just, guh.  I deleted the whole series off my server then and there. D:

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

The worst I've seen was... God I can't even remember the name, it was this anime about this cool, popular girl who gets high marks in school, but she's secretly this screaming otaku who pays video games all day and demands that her brother do things for her.  This sounds similar to another show, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute, but it was aweful.  6mins in, this girl is screaming, rolling on her bed, wrapped in a blanket, demanding that her brother buy her the latest One Piece manga cause she can't be seen buying it.  The entitlement was just, guh.  I deleted the whole series off my server then and there. D:

it wasn't Watamote was it?

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

No, that show is an entirely DIFFERENT issue. Why do they let her spiral out of control and not do anything, just so long as she's quiet in her room?  That girl needs help! ;____;

Looking it up, it was 'Himouto! Umaru-chan'

oh god..this looks like one of those anime :o

Since i have premium on crunchyroll i tend to watch a fair amount of the new season as it comes out. My favorite one on crunchyroll last season was Beautiful bones: sakurako's Investigation. It's a show about death but very optimistic when confronting it which i really like. I highly recommend checking it out.

Also something I watched recently that is absolutly amazing and is now one of my favorite anime ever is Samurai Flamenco. The saying "A RollerCoaster of Emotions" is perfect for this anime and i can't think of a better example of that in anime. It's a great crazy ride with some amazing characters.

This season I have seen a couple first episodes of some shows so i will just put my thoughts on them:

Active raid; I'm not really into the mecha genre so this really isn't much my thing, but it has engrish so I may keep watching it.

Mryiad Colors Phantasm world: seems like a harem anime, but it's world is really interesting and it's really self aware of being a harem show so it doesn't take itself all that seriously so it was pretty funny, prolly going to be following it.

Sekko Boys: This is a short 8 minute anime that i think is about j-pop idols but it's with a twist that makes it very interesting.

Also the guest pass for Crunchyroll i had on my other post on the previous page is still up for grabs.

Edited by AlastairSnowpaw

14 hours ago, 6tails said:

It's not childish, it's a love for the original art.

Seriously, a lot is lost in translations/voiceovers. Go try a Spanish/Italian/French dub of most any anime. It's almost drier than British humour.

>actually dissing French dubs

ashiggydigt

Although in all seriousness you're greatly exaggerating the differences between using subtitles to translate what's being said and dubbing something, and in your appreciation for foreign works I feel you're also inadvertantly dissing the art and skill it takes to properly translate something into another language. English dubs (or any dub for that matter) vary in quality just as a written translation can vary in quality (some sub groups add memes...ick) Accuracy depends on who's doing the translation and how well that translates into English. Undoubtedly, there are times when its difficult to do a direct translation into English and there may be some differences between a dub and a sub due to the way people speak and how natural it sounds and so on. However, if done well and effectively by the right company and done with the right voice actors, a dub can be fight. I wouldn't be so quick to get all upset over someone else's choice to watch something in their own native language. Its not necessarily disrespecting the culture to do so.

And of course many dub fans will criticize a company for doing an awful job at times. Funimation seems to be doing pretty poorly of late on some of their shows, with the greatest offense in recent years being Prison School. On the other hand, they also put out the wonderful English voice work that was in Space Dandy so whatevs.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Sub elitism exists in my anime club. They failed the Cowboy Bebop test: where I asked would they show bebop dubbed or subbed and they said "always subs, because some people might get upset." You mean the weeby creepers who scared most of the girls away from the club? Yeah fuck those guys. My udnergrad anime club was filled with people being amazed by Gurren Lagann and Astro Fighter Sunred. Here it's people who are obsessed with harems and moecrap. They actually thought Infinite Stratos was a good show. They voted for moe garbage over Berserk, too.

I am tempted to bring a Kurosawa film to test their "japanophile" authenticity.

Currently, I'm at a loss at what show to watch right now. And it has to be something that actually ends, but isn't a freaking 1 cour. I'm sick of 13 episode anime or anime that end out of nowhere right in the middle of an arc. Berserk was a prologue, so it worked as a sort of "Batman Begins as told by GRR Martin". But man, aside from stuff like Bones the anime or OPM or Gundam, stuff feels so empty these days

I could try some UC gundam. Never seen Zeta or finished 0079. Zeta's supposed to be the best alongside Turn A.

2 minutes ago, Calemeyr said:

Sub elitism exists in my anime club. They failed the Cowboy Bebop test: where I asked would they show bebop dubbed or subbed and they said "always subs, because some people might get upset." You mean the weeby creepers who scared most of the girls away from the club? Yeah fuck those guys. My udnergrad anime club was filled with people being amazed by Gurren Lagann and Astro Fighter Sunred. Here it's people who are obsessed with harems and moecrap. They actually thought Infinite Stratos was a good show. They voted for moe garbage over Berserk, too.

I am tempted to bring a Kurosawa film to test their "japanophile" authenticity.

I like to think that I am a fan of 'Anime' and 'Manga' rather than 'Japan'.  I figure Anime is as much a representation of Japan as Star Wars and Batman are a representation of America.

• Like 3

The only anime that i can think of where dubbing would actually "take away from the culture" or whatever thing like that is when JoJo's Part 4-8 get animated and that is only because a lot of names have to be changed because of stupid ass copyright laws. There was a bit of this in part 3 but it's way more prominent after part 3 where pretty much every stand is named after a song or a band. Losing all the blatant references to rock songs and bands definitely takes a bit of the charm of JoJo's away. Of-course in the official subs those names are changed but you can still hear the original names so it's not as bad.

That being said i mainly watch stuff Subbed but that's cause that's mainly what Crunchyroll has and that's where i watch anime.

1 minute ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

The only anime that i can think of where dubbing would actually "take away from the culture" or whatever thing like that is when JoJo's Part 4-8 get animated and that is only because a lot of names have to be changed because of stupid ass copyright laws. There was a bit of this in part 3 but it's way more prominent after part 3 where pretty much every stand is named after a song or a band. Losing all the blatant references to rock songs and bands definitely takes a bit of the charm of JoJo's away. Of-course in the official subs those names are changed but you can still hear the original names so it's not as bad.

That being said i mainly watch stuff Subbed but that's cause that's mainly what Crunchyroll has and that's where i watch anime.

How can you not be hyped for 'Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price'?

2 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

just call it D4C as it's full name and it should be fine ;-;

Also that is my favorite stand in all of jojo's and Funny Valentine is my favorite character.

To be fair, in the American release of All-Star Battle it was called D4C. That said, 'BoyManMan' is still hilarious.

On the dub vs sub thing, the reason I prefer subbed anime is because English voice actors really do a terrible job at dubbing anime. If ye compare how they sound, Japanese voice actors sound more natural and the feel of everything is perfect. English dubbed ones however feel quite forced. There are very rare exceptions to this one tho as I have seen only a few English dubbed anime that pulled this off. 

Anyways. I started winter2015/2016 anime season and there are some new anime that got me quite interested. (Only those with episode ones I've watched. Not counting the anime I'm interested in seeing but hasn't aired yet)

First on the list is boku dake ga inai Machi.  Quite an interesting anime if I say so myself. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this. 

Then there's divine gate and musaigen no phantom world. Promising first episodes. 

Ojisan to marshmallow looks like a fun one too

As for new seasons, assassination classrom, durarara, and gate are back for more.