The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

Apart from losing stuff in translation, they also habe to shorten and lengthen a lot of phrases so the mouth movements still kinda match. Even that isn't a big deal though, what really gets me is how obnoxious english voice actors are. It's just plain grating at times and over the top cheesy. The only exception is miyazaki movies, because they actually got real actors to do it, not randos or d-list celebrities or whatever. 

New Berserk coming out! woot! It'll cover the black swordsman arc. Hopefully it doesn't use the crappy CG from the movies.

So I went to the anime club welcome back party today. It was great, I talked to mentally stable people. The weird guy was there, and his response to anything that wasn't anime was "Too many dimensions". Yup. Don't think he was joking, either. Anime isn't high art, let's not kid ourselves. I mentioned "Seven Samurai", and he said "too old and too many dimensions". Yeah. He's the guy who constantly recommends little girl anime at our club meetings and got offended that the few girls in the club got offended by underage fanservice...I wonder if I should ask him if he is currently dating his laptop? /kidding

Anyway...the sensible people in the club keep talking about One Punch Man and Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. Still need to watch those! Would you recommend them?

Just now, 6tails said:

Dude if you have not seen One Punch Man you just need to come the fuck over and watch it. Get your ass on the Metrolink and let's do a 4.25 hour binge.

I work in the morning ;~; Also the metro scares me. There was a scary on the bus that was like on coke or something getting agitated by an elderly woman.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Holy shit guys, the way Kuribayashi beats the shit out of that rapist in Ep13 of GATE???!!!  I'm so pre-ordering a figure of her once they're announced!

My favorite part of GATE is seeing the modern soldiers wreck the fantasy armies and the fantasy people being horrified by all the wreckage. It's like one nation in a CIV game being grossly technological ahead of the other nations.

That also reminds me I hope that a second season for Rokka and the six braves gets announced soon since that was also a really awesome anime in that season.

3 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Someone help me decide what I should watch next/finish out of these:

• Yuri Kuma Arashi
  • Diebuster
  • Aldnoah.Zero
  • Sentou Mecha Xabungle
  • One Punch Man
  • Etotama
  • Digimon Tamers

one punch man is very good and you should definitely watch.

I enjoyed Aldnoah.Zero mainly cause the main character seems to be pyschology distant from everyone which i liked.

I don't know any of the other anime so i can't recommend or non-recommend the other ones.

subs never dubs

On 1/9/2016 at 2:24 PM, Luca said:

I'm about to start watching a bunch of Gundam series, knowing almost nothing. I looked up a list of everything and man, is it daunting...

start with the 3 compilation UC movies, that'll give you the one year war. then check out War in the Pocket and 08th MS team cuz it's they're the best side series. After that it's whatever.

20090129.png

1 hour ago, Pignog said:

subs never dubs

start with the 3 compilation UC movies, that'll give you the one year war. then check out War in the Pocket and 08th MS team cuz it's they're the best side series. After that it's whatever.

I'm starting from 0079, about half way through because I got sidetracked by some other shows. I don't mind the old animation though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2016 at 2:12 PM, Battlechili said:

I discovered recently that the Pokemon X,Y, and Z anime is actually pretty good. It has a budget, which is strange and unique for Pokemon considering how slow and still the Pokemon anime used to be.

a random fact about the Pokemon anime that I found out recently is that the people who made the first pokemon anime are also the same company that did Berserk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

FFFFFfffffffuuuuck One Piece is in like 730 episodes and still going.

Thank goodness I'm actually caught up.

The journey never ends!

...Seriously, though, Oda will probably die before he finishes the manga.

I think the last anime I watched was Death Parade and Psycho Pass....but that was only because a friend wanted to binge watch with me. 

I haven't really been too big into anime for a few years, though. I was mainly into Mecha and Seinen stuff, though; haven't been into Shonen since I was a kid. Well, except for Gundam shonen stuff, heh. But hey, I watch every Gundam franchise show, so that's my excuse.

Manga, on the other hand, is a lifelong passion. 

3 hours ago, 6tails said:

The first ~400 episodes are just the story PROLOGUE.

I thought about watching One piece to catch up since I stopped around episode 15 or so when it aired on 4kids TV on Fox. Since I watch anime at night to help me fall asleep, I may miss out on 20+ episodes. xD

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I thought about watching One piece to catch up since I stopped around episode 15 or so when it aired on 4kids TV on Fox. Since I watch anime at night to help me fall asleep, I may miss out on 20+ episodes. xD

Oh man, the 4kids dub of One Piece is the stuff of legend...

So I started watching some Sports animes recently and have found that I like them a fair amount even though I know nothing about the sports they are about. Basically the reason I like them is because there Shonen anime but instead of fighting and magic it's some sport. The two I have been watching are Baby Steps and Haikyu!!

One thing Baby Steps does really well is be unpredictable since the Main Character can lose any match and losses a whole bunch of matches throughout the series. Unlike in regular Shonen anime you can't assume he will win every fight.

In Haikyu all the talks about friendship and working together make sense because it's about them being on a team, also most of the time it makes sense that they would have time for these talks inbetween rounds.

Both are really good anime and it's worth trying out sports anime if you never watched any if you like Shonen anime since it's basically a form of Shonen anime.

27 minutes ago, Nekokami said:

JoJo just surprised me with the Oingo Boingo mini-arc. It was, like, 95% comedy - and good comedy, at that. I mean, Battle Tendency had its amusing moments, but this was just brilliant. And the Oingo Boingo ED was weird as hell.

I'm a bit hesitant to watch the newer JoJo anime. I have been so in love with the manga for a long time, and I don't want to get this weird mix in my mind of awesome manga and mediocre animation. That's what happened to me with Gantz, Air Gear, and a few others. 

Edited by Ieono

2 hours ago, Ieono said:

I'm a bit hesitant to watch the newer JoJo anime. I have been so in love with the manga for a long time, and I don't want to get this weird mix in my mind of awesome manga and mediocre animation. That's what happened to me with Gantz, Air Gear, and a few others. 

I would say the new anime is really good and i haven't really heard anyone say it being mediocre. the new anime is really much better at capture the jojo stlye than the previous attempt. there's also a lot of good attention to detail even in stuff like the OP. Here's a good analysis of the jojo's OP. This guy also does great analysis of other OPs in general. The only thing that will start being weird is once they start having to change names in subtitles because stupid Censorship bullshit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I would say the new anime is really good and i haven't really heard anyone say it being mediocre. the new anime is really much better at capture the jojo stlye than the previous attempt. there's also a lot of good attention to detail even in stuff like the OP. Here's a good analysis of the jojo's OP. This guy also does great analysis of other OPs in general. The only thing that will start being weird is once they start having to change names in subtitles because stupid Censorship bullshit.

Holy shit! This guy is so detailed in his analysis! I am seriously impressed. 

Hmm...I will watch Phantom Blood, and see if I like it. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Ieono said:

Holy shit! This guy is so detailed in his analysis! I am seriously impressed. 

Hmm...I will watch Phantom Blood, and see if I like it. Thanks!

He also has an analysis of the two openings for the Part 3 Anime. I would recommend watching both Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency since they're grouped together and part 1 is only 9 episodes long. Also watching the Part 3 Anime reminds me of how amazingly written and done DIO's fight is, It is the best visual representation i have seen in anime regarding powers like that. 

Edited by AlastairSnowpaw

3 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

He also has an analysis of the two openings for the Part 3 Anime. I would recommend watching both Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency since they're grouped together and part 1 is only 9 episodes long. Also watching the Part 3 Anime reminds me of how amazingly written and done DIO's fight is, It is the best visual representation i have seen in anime regarding powers like that. 

Yes, Hirohiko Araki is a creative genius, with one of the greatest imaginations I've ever witnessed. His fights are always not only exiciting to see, but cerebral in nature. He is such an intelligent fight designer, I must say. When I compare the fights and exchanges he creates to other work (DBZ, Naruto, etc.) they seem boring. Araki always knows how to make things a bit more interesting, and a bit more challenging to wrap your head around sometimes, too!

It is such a shame that copyright law is the way it is here, because I am sure that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure would have been a dynamite hit here a long time ago. Or perhaps...Araki should stop ripping off copyrighted names for almost all of his characters?? You decide!

• Like 2

Just now, Ieono said:

Yes, Hirohiko Araki is a creative genius, with one of the greatest imaginations I've ever witnessed. His fights are always not only exiciting to see, but cerebral in nature. He is such an intelligent fight designer, I must say. When I compare the fights and exchanges he creates to other work (DBZ, Naruto, etc.) they seem boring. Araki always knows how to make things a bit more interesting, and a bit more challenging to wrap your head around sometimes, too!

It is such a shame that copyright law is the way it is here, because I am sure that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure would have been a dynamite hit here a long time ago. Or perhaps...Araki should stop ripping off copyrighted names for almost all of his characters?? You decide!

i personally love his nomenclature and is one of the many things I see from it. The reason JoJo's is my all time favorite manga/anime is because it's not just a great story anime but a piece of art i can genuinely look towards for inspiration and ideas.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

The reason JoJo's is my all time favorite manga/anime is because it's not just a great story anime but a piece of art i can genuinely look towards for inspiration and ideas.

It's cool to see I'm not the only one in that regard.

Also Koichi looks weird in the anime. It'll probably shift since well...it's Jojo, but still.