The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

20 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I don't get it, and what chump goes to prom?

Its the official Sonic Twitter that some guy from SEGA runs saying that anime fans don't get dates using a meme generated from a Mighty Number 9 trailer where an explosion looks like pizza.

The original screenshot from a Mighty Number 9 trailer:

mn9.jpg

I've been watching Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and its basically Attack On Titan with better characters and with zombies made by the same team that made AoT. I really like it, although I think its introduced new problems while trying to correct the mistakes of AoT (still loved AoT though). The main characters are too overpowered and all the adults are really untrusting and dumb in this series. Its somewhat unrealistic. Pretty cool otherwise though, especially artistically.

kabaneri 4.png

3 hours ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

o okay, thats pretty dumb in a boring uncreative way

Turns out I was wrong. I didn't actually watch that MN9 trailer. After watching it it turns out that the MN9 trailer is the one that made the lame "anime fan on prom night" joke saying that the bad guys in the game will be crying like that. So in response, to make fun of the trailer, Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter posted that image.

Still, sorry for bothering you with this dumb stuff. Just figured I'd correct myself.

11 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Turns out I was wrong. I didn't actually watch that MN9 trailer. After watching it it turns out that the MN9 trailer is the one that made the lame "anime fan on prom night" joke saying that the bad guys in the game will be crying like that. So in response, to make fun of the trailer, Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter posted that image.

Still, sorry for bothering you with this dumb stuff. Just figured I'd correct myself.

Yea I saw that trailer now also, it's really horrendous.

to get back on the subject of anime of the ones i have been watching i have been putting a couple of the them slightly to side, mainly twin start exorcists and bungo stray dogs. mostly just cause when i put aside the time to watch anime I'm watching some of the other things this season i find more interesting.

So Anime North is over, which is where most of this stuff was coming from.  The first photo was from the convention's 'Nominoichi' which is basically a flea market.  Since it's attendees selling goods and only two hours long, you see VERY motivated sellers who have mechanize they have lost interested in and cash they want to earn to buy new mechanize with.  This is a venue where it's super easy to haggle and bundle, especially since everyone is in a hurry to leave with empty bags and full wallets.

In my case, I landed 11 figures for $240 CAD, so about $21 each on average which is pretty great.  The majority were new in unopened boxes and the rest were in opened boxes.  I'm a bit puzzled by that really, particularly with the figures in boxes that have no viewing windows, why would you never open them?  Well, I assure you, I've opened them for my shelf of geekery I started putting together.  However all trap figures will be going on my desk at work so they're still boxed.  Particularly happy with the Sega Saturn-chan I had picked up. :3  Now I have TWO Sega Saturn-Chans. :D:DIMG_0120.jpgIMG_0124a.jpgIMG_0123.jpgIMG_0122a.jpg

• Like 1

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans starts airing on Toonami tonight. This'll be the first Gundam I watch since 08th MS Team. It'll also be the first time I attempt to keep up with a show on Toonami in a long time.

Also their trailer for it is really cool and reminiscent of their old Gundam Wing trailer

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans starts airing on Toonami tonight. This'll be the first Gundam I watch since 08th MS Team. It'll also be the first time I attempt to keep up with a show on Toonami in a long time.

Also their trailer for it is really cool and reminiscent of their old Gundam Wing trailer.

It's shit.

49 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

It's shit.

So I've heard.

Well, regardless, I like the idea of supporting Gundam on Toonami so I'll be watching anyways. Someone told me that I should watch an actually good Gundam show so I'll start really watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam real soon as well.

On 6/4/2016 at 8:48 PM, Battlechili said:

So I've heard.

Well, regardless, I like the idea of supporting Gundam on Toonami so I'll be watching anyways. Someone told me that I should watch an actually good Gundam show so I'll start really watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam real soon as well.

It goes to shit by episode 5

Inazuma Eleven surprised me - a serious (excepting the goofy premise) anime I actually watched more than once.

Digimon Fusion was better than, well, pretty much any other Digimon, and for once I thought  the emotional backstories actually worked (I can be cynical b*****d!).

That DBZ film "Resurrection F" was pretty good, and unlike DBZ seasons, short enough to re-watch.

Now, before going into this, I'm going to repeat (from back when we used FAF) that watching some fairly popular animes cause me to think its generally not for me.

I started the 2nd season of Psycho-Pass, which thankfully makes easy to understand without explaining things like viewers are braindead (see beloooooow!). Anyway, though this crime drama-ish thingy (that's the technical term) has an interesting story its not entirely clear who the primary cast are besides their occupations. Christopher Sabat (sounding exactly like when he voiced Piccolo) gives off vibes of dependability, largely because of familarity, but his character does seem to have the protagonist's back.

Also, started watching Claymore, which isn't as good, to put it bluntly. The first episode's dialogue consisted of exposition of the nonsensical kind, e.g. only Claymores can kill the monsters, but people are outraged about a Claymore being sent to kill the monsters. Then the second episode there's some sinister guy from the organisation that makes Claymores and suddenly I begin to suspect there's going to be some Samurai Princess type story where this organisation is behind everything to begin with.

Also, the concept of a largely normal having a card placed in it kinda seems weird, because if the sword got damaged, its blade parts would flop around like fish... right?

Hopefully it gets better, as another 24 episodes of this quality will dampen my interests in watching these shows.

Psycho-Pass 5-6-

Sakuya (the Christopher Sabat character) appears to hiding an agenda, and may be a villain, which is disappointing. Akane (the protagonist) has stuff happening to her and is investigating other stuff most times, so she didn't have much time for character establishment. The confirmed villains have interesting ways of getting around the established laws and such, though it didn't seem necessary in that situation.

Claymore 3-4-:

The silliness continues with this exchange

"[the yoma] is a voracious eater"

"What's a voracious eater?"

*Facepalms*

Wait. T-rex arms are too stubby for that. Moving on,

Alright, there was something of a fake-out with the people needed to complete what TvTropes calls a "five man band" not actually major cast members... apparently. Surprising, but not exactly good, as I thought Vincent and Galk, at least, were promising characters. There actually is a touching moment towards the end of episode, also surprising as I didn't think I'd been watching long enough to be touched, really. So an improvement, I guess, 

P.S. The "voracious eater" is then credited as "Big Yoma". Big Yoma. Big Momma. Not exactly intimidating.

Claymore 5-6:

Origin story nonsense. There's many reasons I have contempt for origin stories, though to be fair, this one did manage some substance in the second half of episode 6. But again, the writers seem intent on shoving information down the audiences' throats. But really, it doesn't matter why Claire becomes a Claymore, just that she does.

But it weird, as I thought the only ensorship-worthy violence in Japanese kids' shows was decapitation and copious bleeding, yet there's quite a lot of blood here. Then again, they had live-action copious bleeding in the show we get Power Rangers footage from, so maybe the rules aren't that important.

Psycho-Pass 7-8:

SPOILERS HERE

So apparently Sakuya isn't a villain exactly, maybe his mother is the female version of Sheldon Cooper, as she uses him to execute people who enforce the law incorrectly... or something. Meanwhile, everyone finds out about the actual villain, and it seems the plot armor protecting primary members just run out.

Your Lie In April The faince and I are a little under half way through and the show is very heart warming, I know there's more to learn about the characters, but the show is gaining depth.

Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga This show is very amusing, and I'm on 8 of 12 right now, hoping that the storyline picks up a bit.

Right, so-

Claymore 7-13

Right, so after watching episode 7, which again had people explaining things people could figure out, and providing ridiculous dialogue to do so, I was ready to donate it to charity, and f*** the £30 ($50 approx.) I spent on it.

Another near three weeks of this, just the prospect, made me feel the onset of depression and I don't mean Facebook "depression" either. I mean the mental illness (I've had it before) that leaves the mind open to other conditions that induce paranoia and anxiety (I've been unable to leave home, pretty much, 2.5 years and six years ago).

If Imperial Impact is reading this, then the overracted anime he warns people about now have the addition that literally threatened someone's sanity (someone with a history of psychological disorders, but still)

But I eventually reached the decision to watch a few more episodes so see if it picked up.

Okay, the origin story could summarised in a paragraph, whereas most origin stories only take a sentence, so maybe I should take victories where I can get them.

Episode nine, people still made exposition dumps but with less clumsy dialogue and about less obvious things. Then episode ten is an extended fight scene against a grotesque monster, but... it didn't get boring, I suppose. The next reveals some sort of comspiracy, which suggests I may be right about the organisation being the bad guys.

Then episodes 12-13 introduce Ophelia, who is something of a nihilist, and certainly an interesting villain, but the current events suggest she might not be around for long, which was unexpected.

Psycho-Pass 9-11:

Minor spoilers:

As the finale began, it turns my expections were not what happened. One of the primary cast got involved in something but she contributed little to that point. Honestly, it was good until the final episode. Then it just ended anticlimactically.

Another 1-2:

Pretty strange. Some things were funnier than they should have been. For one, three classmates introduced themselves to the protagonist in hospital, but they actually didn't speak until they'd just been standing there a few seconds, according to the way it was presented. Actually the protagonist has a lot of classmates so its not clear who everyone is yet. The first episode definitely seemed focused on presenting things from the protagonist's viewpoint.

Claymore 14-15:

Okay so Ophelia didn't last as a recurring villain as expected, but things played out oddly. Actually her death seemed pretty anticlimatic. Anyway, now we have more awakened beings capturing Claymores and making them turn into awakened beings, or something. 

Another 3-4:

The only scary parts are at the start of some episodes, many people are heard discussing events. The events at the end of episode 4 were surprising. It certain scenes were trying to be atmospheric, though, it didn't work, specifically scenes in that doll shop.

Claymore 16-17:

On another note, I found this is the "spiritual successor" to something called Berserk which I never thought sounded entertaining. Had I known that I wouldn't have bothered with this.

Honestly these arcs are self-contained stories though; it seemed interesting enough but much of what happened here will have little to do with anything afterwards.

Oh boy is it! This is just as bad as I had feared. The CG is laughably ugly at it's normal pace and the frame rate on it is fucking Reboot level. characters look stiff just walking around. The only time I was fine with it was when Guts's shot the arrows while running. The speed made it okay.

The hand drawn overlayed parts & completely drawn segments looked fantastic and every time they snapped back to CG I got angry they decided to do 90% of the show in this gross style. They don't even fucking bother to shade anything like the ghost fetus and the Incubus. These monsters look fucking terrible.

Berserk in the manga always had some kind of beauty to it's art work, be it in violence or action or just idle faces. That always helped to keep it from feeling edgy. The most disgusting of creatures had impact when drawn so detailed and well. The only time this was reflected in the first episode was in the hand drawn faces, when they decided to use them.

The intro looks pretty damn good, it mostly being 2D animation, which only adds to my frustration.

This show is disappointing and it's not just bland, it's bad enough that it takes away from Berserk. I didn't even mind the Golden Age Arc movies, but I can't get over how ugly this shit looks for the most part. :c

Another 5-7

There's some pretty interesting concepts here although watching this one episode at a time really makes difficult to remember who everyone is. I'm happy that "pretending people don't exist" storyline ended as it seemed like a way to prevent most characters from being involved.

Claymore 18-20

It actually seems like something big is happening, though mainly the incompetence of the organisation is clearer than ever. Beyond that, this arc is building up to fighting the most of the creatures that make the creatures that make normal yoma seem pathetic, seem pathetic, and involves like 2/3 of the Claymores, and yet, apparently the manga is several times the length of the anime, despite the reportedly faithful adaptation, so logically continue this escalation over and over again. For some reason, every Claymore is very arrogant, minus one or two. 

Anyway, at least that clip show part was short. EDIT: Actually the next day something occurred that made me realise that episode was more than that, but I'm not updating this on a daily basis, so I'll get to that next time.

Another 8-10:

The story is getting now, with some ominous scenes, and I can finally tell who is who which is really something. Thankfully it manages to maintain some character focus and some lighthearted segments.

Claymore 21-23:

SPOILERS HERE.

In the first two of these episodes the show became what it was advertised as being. For one thing, Undine, who just last episode (the one that became a clipshow) got some character focus, is dead. Followed y some other people. It was shocking, but then episode 23 comes along and turns out everyone after Undine wasn't actually killed, except maybe a couple of redshirts.

Claymore 24-25:

Episode 24, well, I have little to say. Mostly it just led up to the next episode. As for 25, all I can say is as frequently as this show disappoints, it somehow manages to get interesting. Maybe I should've learned by now.

Another 11-12:

These episodes were very different and that makes it hard to say much. Mostly it was... good, I guess? A bit surprising.

4 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

So Jojo's part 4 has a new OP in the most recently episode and I really like it, all the manga spoilery imagery is really awesome. The image with Yukako and the not gonna spoil lady i find really amazing.

I'm just salty due to the lack of best villain showing up properly. The skull thing was super neat doe so it's okay I guess.

RIP Cinderella ;_;7

10 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I'm just salty due to the lack of best villain showing up properly.

Reveal hidden contents

RIP Cinderella ;_;7

we're not at part 7 yet though so no best villain. Though the part 4 villain is really top, honestly the only mediocre villain is the part 5 villain (and the part 6 one if you're salty).

Also this episode was way more funny than I thought it would be, mainly the part where Koichi tried to get Josuke and Okuyasu to help him.

7 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

we're not at part 7 yet though so no best villain. Though the part 4 villain is really top, honestly the only mediocre villain is the part 5 villain (and the part 6 one if you're salty).

Also this episode was way more funny than I thought it would be, mainly the part where Koichi tried to get Josuke and Okuyasu to help him.

I sometimes forget that Part 5 even had a main villain that wasn't just bad english translations and even worse fashion choices.

Spice Girl is cool doe. We need more stands whose main ability is motivational speaking.

On 7/9/2016 at 9:05 AM, 6tails said:

I'm willing to bet it's being done this way for whatever next video game reboot pops out. Easier to do the game development if you've already got character models made.

You mean the upcoming Berserk musou?