The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

So what anime do you peeps like? Anything recent that caught your eye? I'm kinda iffy on new stuff...it all seems to be about girls doing nothing at high school clubs and you're watching like a creeper. There is some neat stuff approaching, though. I'm pumped for Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

I'm into anime like Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Sword of the Stranger, Gundam...that kind of stuff.

Also, the Attack on Titan movies were shite.

Edited by Calemeyr

anime is gay

asides from the ones i watched, i watched gurren lagann and space dandy, those were neat

My anime club may be full of weebs. I don't want to dig deeper or I will be embarrassed in public by them. A lot them like moeshit anime with girls that go "ugu" and "eeeeh". Submissive waifu simulator! It's like a screensaver for perverts!

• Like 1

My anime club may be full of weebs. I don't want to dig deeper or I will be embarrassed in public by them. A lot them like moeshit anime with girls that go "ugu" and "eeeeh". Submissive waifu simulator! It's like a screensaver for perverts!

do they have those body pillows?

i bet they have body pillows

do they have those body pillows?

i bet they have body pillows

I haven't seen them bring them there, but there are the awkward asian kids there who always suggest we watch the creepy girl anime...they probably do own a body pillow.

Also this is a thing: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-07-22/monster-musume-23-foot-long-miia-will-slither-into-a-bed-near-you/.90762

Otaku just keep wanting to one-up the furry fandom, don't they?

I haven't seen them bring them there, but there are the awkward asian kids there who always suggest we watch the creepy girl anime...they probably do own a body pillow.

Also this is a thing: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-07-22/monster-musume-23-foot-long-miia-will-slither-into-a-bed-near-you/.90762

Otaku just keep wanting to one-up the furry fandom, don't they?

what in the actual fuck is that lmao

my god

it's shit like this that scares me away from animoo communities

• Like 1

I watch entry level garbage because I don't really care enough to dig any deeper. I don't mind some cutesie stuff here and there but I could never sit through an entire series of, what is it, K-On or something like that?

So, like, DragonBall Z, Death Note, Gurenn Lagann, Sword Art Online, Attack On Titan, Kill La Kill, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brothergood. Stuff like that.

I just remembered, Naruto is science fiction. Chakra is the result of humans cross breeding with aliens and gaining alien magic, and the final big bad wanted to turn everyone into zombie plant people to fight other aliens.

God I actually read the entire Naruto manga.

it wasn't worth it. And I only did it out of habit by the end there.

At least I got that catharsis of one of my first OTP's actually coming to fruition. Hinata deserved that piece of shit Naruto, even if he didn't deserve her.

I like anime, I consider myself just a casual watcher though. I had watched Attack on Titan, DRAMAtical Murder, Blue Exorcist, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop (my first anime), Polar Bear Cafe (never finished it), Princess Jellyfish, I dropped watching Pokemon after Diamond and Pearl because it became shitty, Hetalia. I'm currently watching Shimoneta and Overlord that are new ones.

Yeeeeeah... not so much anymore. Japan saddens me with the nonsense junk they put out lately, so I no longer consider myself into anime. Back in the day I was into it quite a bit and when I draw people it's in anime style, but I haven't drawn a people in years, so meh. =p The popular series' I liked were Digimon (seasons 1-3 only, I still collect the figures), Gundam (mostly the older ones, also collect these figures), Cowboy Bebop, .Hack (the games r fun) and InuYasha (but I never did see the final couple of episodes and I never will because I saw some images that hinted at what the ending was before I saw it and I don't want them to be true). Not so mainstream favs were Escaflowne (has figure) and The Soultaker (yep, has figure). DBZ was ok, I didn't care for it much though after the Frieza (sp?) saga and completely skipped DBGT because it looked stupid and I heard bad things about it.

Edited by Kinare

My favorite anime are Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, Bakemonogatari, Madoka Magica, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

I started watching One Punch Man since the manga is so...animated. Not sure if its good yet. Too early to tell. The first episode certainly didn't catch me, but I'm going to hold hope.

Edited by Battlechili

I like anime, I consider myself just a casual watcher though. I had watched Attack on Titan, DRAMAtical Murder, Blue Exorcist, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop (my first anime), Polar Bear Cafe (never finished it), Princess Jellyfish, I dropped watching Pokemon after Diamond and Pearl because it became shitty, Hetalia. I'm currently watching Shimoneta and Overlord that are new ones.

Animoo isn't really my thing, but I've only ever watched Polar Bear Cafe, and Envangelion. Those were pretty cool!

I cried on that one episode. 

Trigun, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop

Those. Also Bleach, Avatar and Devil May Cry.

Tho I prefer manga. I can't stand how anime is prolooooongiiiiing eeeeeeverythiiiiiiing and removing adult content. And I don't think about tits, rather about gore which is pretty often originally included in the manga. Not to mention that I'm not a big fan of the genre. I'm just watching those that are interesting, treating them no different than other series or movies.

Edited by Ayattar

Of the ones I've seen, Cowboy bebop and Ghost in the Shell have been the best. Also Last Exile was amazing.

Fuck the uguu animes. Seriously.

uguu is a majority of anime these days. The stuff that isn't uguu is dumb shonens with try-hard plots and pretentious, out of place names for stupid concepts. There was this one anime that called a virus "Oracle cells" that killed all adults and gave kids superpowers. I fully expect an anime in the future to be like "mirrors come to life as portals to other dimensions, they are called Seraphim Gates, and the special high schoolers who go to a magical high school have to fight the mirror demons that come out. So deep, we called something Seraphim!" It's like George Lucas calling children "younglings", it's stupid.

Anime ain't doing so well, and the problem is the Japanese economy (and the fact that the industry and its low wages are unsustainable). But it's not going to get any better as long as Japan remains so risk-averse as a country. Meanwhile, the people are getting older, bullying is ifnored in schools, and moe and pretentious shonen anime is most of what's produced.

Manga, on the other hand, seems to be where the real creativity lies. I mean, manga is mostly original concepts. How many anime these days are originals and not adaptations of manga, games, virtual novels, or light novels?

Edited by Calemeyr

I just remembered, Naruto is science fiction. Chakra is the result of humans cross breeding with aliens and gaining alien magic, and the final big bad wanted to turn everyone into zombie plant people to fight other aliens.

Wait is this for real? That can't be for real its just too fucking ridiculous.  If it is I am glad I got out of Naruto years ago because that is just stupid levels of plot insanity.

As for for good anime that I really like there is the usual ones like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist(I actually prefer season 1 of the original anime over Brotherhood, but Brotherhood does have a much better ending and second half), Baccano, Ghost in the Shell(The first season not so much the rest of the series), Madoka Magica, and Gurren Lagann.

My favorite anime has to be Casshern Sins though.  Its about a post apocalyptic world populated by robots that were once immortal, but now due to something called the Ruin robots are rusting away and dying.  Its follows the main character Casshern an amnesiac robot who for some reason is not only immune to the Ruin, but is actually physically immortal and the legend goes among the other robots that whoever can kill and devour Casshern will themselves become immortal.  The show is ultimately about exploring the theme of death and how people react when confronted by it.  It is one of the few media I have ever consumed that managed to make excellent use of symbolism and metaphor without at all feeling pretentious about it.

As for modern anime there is a lot of it and due to Sturgeon's law the overwhelming majority of it is going to be crap.  As with all media though if you look around hard enough you can eventually find the few pieces of quality amid all of that garbage.

Fullmetal Alchemist(I actually prefer season 1 of the original anime over Brotherhood, but Brotherhood does have a much better ending and second half)

Probably because Brotherhood followed the canon story. The first attempt at an FMA anime skewed off in an entirely different direction because of that annoying habit animation studios seem to have in regards to picking up a Manga that is growing in popularity and adapting it before it's even close to being done.

Wait is this for real? That can't be for real its just too fucking ridiculous.  If it is I am glad I got out of Naruto years ago because that is just stupid levels of plot insanity.

As for for good anime that I really like there is the usual ones like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist(I actually prefer season 1 of the original anime over Brotherhood, but Brotherhood does have a much better ending and second half), Baccano, Ghost in the Shell(The first season not so much the rest of the series), Madoka Magica, and Gurren Lagann.

My favorite anime has to be Casshern Sins though.  Its about a post apocalyptic world populated by robots that were once immortal, but now due to something called the Ruin robots are rusting away and dying.  Its follows the main character Casshern an amnesiac robot who for some reason is not only immune to the Ruin, but is actually physically immortal and the legend goes among the other robots that whoever can kill and devour Casshern will themselves become immortal.  The show is ultimately about exploring the theme of death and how people react when confronted by it.  It is one of the few media I have ever consumed that managed to make excellent use of symbolism and metaphor without at all feeling pretentious about it.

As for modern anime there is a lot of it and due to Sturgeon's law the overwhelming majority of it is going to be crap.  As with all media though if you look around hard enough you can eventually find the few pieces of quality amid all of that garbage.

Ehh...sturgeon's law isn't an actual law...it's like saying Rule 34 is a law of physics. It 's a subjective observation that a lot of stuff is just "average" because a lot of people don't take risks or don't know what they're doing in the entertainment industry.

As for Naruto...yup. Kaguya was the final big bad, she was the first to use "jutsu" and was an alien. Cross breeding got humans to use jutsu. She wanted to make the whole world into zombie plant people (white Zetsus). Naruto's son has to fight new aliens, so it's likely that Kaguya meant the white zetsus to fight other aliens.

Now, the aliens look like ancient Japanese noblemen with strange appendages on their heads and weird eyes, not little green men.

Naruto is an alien hybrid.

Edited by Calemeyr

Probably because Brotherhood followed the canon story. The first attempt at an FMA anime skewed off in an entirely different direction because of that annoying habit animation studios seem to have in regards to picking up a Manga that is growing in popularity and adapting it before it's even close to being done.

Yeah but there are so many scenes in the first season of the original anime that aren't even in the manga or in brotherhood and they are by far my favorite scenes from anywhere in Fullmetal Alchemist.  Introducing Barry the Chopper first as a human serial killer turned what is otherwise a comic relief character from the manga and Brotherhood into a frightening recurring villain when he shows up later.  Besides the fact that the original confrontation with Barry in the first anime is just outright amazing on its own.  It really helps to humanize the character of Ed by putting him in a mundane situation, stripping him of most of his power, and showing just how scared and desperate he can become.  Also the episode from the original anime That Which is Lost.  I absolutely love the conversation Ed has with the old veteran and that scene never happens in the manga at all if I recall correctly.

I guess what I am getting at is that I find my self preferring the original anime due to its much stronger theme and individual scenes in the first half even though Brotherhood is objectively better on the whole.

I've sadly have been suckered into watching sport anime lmao and loving them . However I plan on re-watching Code Geass as well as Hunter x Hunter. If you havn't seen HxH you should , it has a weird but great story and pretty great animation. I do not suggest watching the old version , but instead the remade 2011 version as it's far better in terms of style as well as the story. Code Geass is good but suffers badly in the second season around the start ( however with a good finish), with some weird unneeded fillers. However the over all story is very good and I'd suggest you give it a watch. 

I've been meaning to also watch Brotherhood I liked FMA when I was younger and always thought it was weird that the manga and the anime felt well apart. I stopped reading it after a while and picked up other things but I'm interested in re-visiting the series. I've noticed and kinda liked the trend of animes being remade for the better , I hope that shows that were not too good like Tsubasa can be picked back up and remade. I wouldn't mind some of my old fave's to come back as well , but there's always that chance they will come back being just 10000% crap. Soooo 

I'm honestly more of a Manga/Manhwa type of guy but ohhhh MANN!!! Yes. Animu!!! I think the classics are where it's AT!!

Give me some Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, Dragonball, Record of the Lodoss Wars, Robotech, Gundam, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Magical Knight Reyearth, Ninja Scroll (Movie). UGH!! I could go on.

Newer stuff though?
The Devil is a Part-Timer, Is this a Zombie?!, Blood Lad, Future Diary, Kokoro Connect, Madoka Magica, Guilty Crown, and probably a few more but this is my list off the top of my head.

Edited by Vaer

Oh, sports anime, I forgot about those. Hajime no Ippo is a must-see.

Blood Lad looks like it had some promise but they quit after what seemed to be a pilot season.

Oh, and for just outright fucked-up slapstick, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, or Orochuban Ebichu.

My high school best friend showed me Dokuro-Chan once. I still haven't forgiven him.

I've sadly have been suckered into watching sport anime lmao and loving them . However I plan on re-watching Code Geass as well as Hunter x Hunter. If you havn't seen HxH you should , it has a weird but great story and pretty great animation. I do not suggest watching the old version , but instead the remade 2011 version as it's far better in terms of style as well as the story. Code Geass is good but suffers badly in the second season around the start ( however with a good finish), with some weird unneeded fillers. However the over all story is very good and I'd suggest you give it a watch. 

I've been meaning to also watch Brotherhood I liked FMA when I was younger and always thought it was weird that the manga and the anime felt well apart. I stopped reading it after a while and picked up other things but I'm interested in re-visiting the series. I've noticed and kinda liked the trend of animes being remade for the better , I hope that shows that were not too good like Tsubasa can be picked back up and remade. I wouldn't mind some of my old fave's to come back as well , but there's always that chance they will come back being just 10000% crap. Soooo 

FMA will always be my favorite anime. 

Sports anime is awesome. Especially baseball ones.  

Code Geass I didnt expect to like at all. Ive never liked mecha anime before but geass was pretty good considering that. 

• Like 1

FMA will always be my favorite anime. 

Sports anime is awesome. Especially baseball ones.  

Code Geass I didnt expect to like at all. Ive never liked mecha anime before but geass was pretty good considering that. 

Baseball ones are verryy good :U  I've been enjoying Haikyuu!! myself as well as Big Windup!  ( thank you anime for adding !!!'s at the end of everything lol ) 

Same , I never got into mecha myself but I really enjoyed geass's story , as well as the characters . 

Well Miyazaki movies wouldn't be a good qualifier for that. Miyazaki was very vocal about how much he hates Otaku's and modern Anime culture.

he's a n00b, so I let him believe it. :v 

Depending on how one defines anime, it can be argued Miyazaki's works don't even qualify and are in and of themselves, something entirely different. 

But it it's big eyed Japanese cartoons so I try not to be picky. 

Really, I havent seen a good anime since DeathNote. It all just focuses on low sex humor, strange freakouts, lame catch phrases and pedophile culture. 

I've been meaning to watch the second season of Mushishi on Netflix, but Ialways put it off. 

he's a n00b, so I let him believe it. :v 

Depending on how one defines anime, it can be argued Miyazaki's works don't even qualify and are in and of themselves, something entirely different. 

But it it's big eyed Japanese cartoons so I try not to be picky. 

Really, I havent seen a good anime since DeathNote. It all just focuses on low sex humor, strange freakouts, lame catch phrases and pedophile culture. 

I've been meaning to watch the second season of Mushishi on Netflix, but Ialways put it off. 

Yeah like I've said earlier on in this thread I don't see any appeal in the hyper cutesie stuff. I watched Kill la Kill because it just looked really cool, and I wasn't disappointed, but it was another example of just how hypersexualised modern Anime tends to be and does lose points for that.

I really enjoyed Death Note, I still even occasionally put it on as something to half-watch whenever I'm drawing or playing games. But as clever and captivating as the writing could be, I also recognise that it was exceedingly pretentious and thought way too highly of itself. And wow did it drag on unnecessarily. The two Death Note movies did a way better job of wrapping it up neatly and more satisfactorily IMO.
I much prefer FMA: Brotherhood though. There was next to nothing even vaguely sexual outside of the scenes that revolved around the actual physical embodiment of Lust, the romantic build-ups felt more real, it gave some very realistic ,multi-faceted accounts and perspectives on war, and all the tragedies it could bring. Plus it had a greatly diverse cast of characters and personalities, which is rare for most anime.

There have been some more recent series that have had potential, but have also fallen short. Sword Art Online is massively popular, but also far too simplistic, and the first season was way too damn rushed. Sword Art ended far too abruptly and the ALfeim Online arc introduced so many interesting elements that were promptly swept aside. I was actually looking forward to seeing where they went with the concept of exceedingly difficult and lengthy incantations for more powerful magical spells.

Plus, the main antagonist for ALfheim being a stock standard "You'll hate me because I'm a skeevy rapist" character was real disappointing of an antagonist to end out the season on. Season 2 I'll concede seemed far better paced from the first few episodes I saw, but I just don't find Gun Gale Online as interesting a setting as I did Sword Art or ALfheim, so I've not been as compelled to continue on with it.

Edited by Sidhenearlahi

@sid: you're very critical. I like that. :3 

I agree that SAO had some potential but I too concede that it just falls on its face most of the time. I perferred the ALfhaim arc to the first arc tbh. (And I find I'm in the minority on that xD) The first Villian's plan was just too ludicrous for me. Atleast creepy rapist dude was someone we could expect to maybe see irl. The "way too into fantasy" scientist dude from the beginning just felt childish. 

But then, SAO is childish or immature atleast. It's fetishy and just there to be wish fulfilment for nerdy Japanese straight boys. (and it tries in vein to incorporate heavy topics like suicide and rape but never follows through on their trauma. It's just a mess) 

But I did kinda like Kirito's love story with Ausuno. :3c

Edited by Butters

I agree that SAO had some potential but I too concede that it just falls on its face most of the time. I perferred the ALfhaim arc to the first arc tbh. (And I find I'm in the minority on that xD) The first Villian's plan was just too ludicrous for me. Atleast creepy rapist dude was someone we could expect to maybe see irl. The "way too into fantasy" scientist dude from the beginning just felt childish. 

But then, SAO is childish or immature atleast. It's fetishy and just there to be wish fulfilment for nerdy Japanese straight boys. (and it tries in vein to incorporate heavy topics like suicide and rape but never follows through on their trauma. It's just a mess) 

I like to think that I've struck a nice balance between being critical and optimistic, I do tend to go in to new shows, movies, games and such with the mentality that I'm going to like it. But I'll not let that impede my ability to cast a critical eye over whatever it is I've enjoyed!

And yeah, I preferred the ALfheim arc too, as a concept at least. I just think it was let down by the dime a dozen easy to hate one dimensional villain -Just add water!-, with cliché motivations.
The Sword Art Online antagonist might have been incredibly juvenile, but he was also somewhat relatable to the audience. I'm sure many people who watch and enjoy Sword Art Online have had times in their life where they wish they could go away to some idealised fantasy world and be a great hero.

You are the man with ultimate taste. Casshern was SOOOOOOO good. Although its one of those anime where its easy to start crying at parts....Janice's song in particular was a lovely piece in the middle of the show, even if that hope was ill placed. 

Yeah but there are so many scenes in the first season of the original anime that aren't even in the manga or in brotherhood and they are by far my favorite scenes from anywhere in Fullmetal Alchemist.  Introducing Barry the Chopper first as a human serial killer turned what is otherwise a comic relief character from the manga and Brotherhood into a frightening recurring villain when he shows up later.  Besides the fact that the original confrontation with Barry in the first anime is just outright amazing on its own.  It really helps to humanize the character of Ed by putting him in a mundane situation, stripping him of most of his power, and showing just how scared and desperate he can become.  Also the episode from the original anime That Which is Lost.  I absolutely love the conversation Ed has with the old veteran and that scene never happens in the manga at all if I recall correctly.

I guess what I am getting at is that I find my self preferring the original anime due to its much stronger theme and individual scenes in the first half even though Brotherhood is objectively better on the whole.

This, actually. I love both Brotherhood and the Original, but the slower pace of the original series allowed them to flesh out the characters more and consequently some of the much darker events of the series were a lot more impactful because of it. Like, the infamous dog scene felt a lot more heartbreaking in the original series because two episodes were spent with that family getting to know the girl and what not. And of course as you mentioned, Barry....He was outright frightening in the original series. he seemed like an actual murderer, rather than the joke of one in the sequel.

Edited by Battlechili

FINALLY

Its taken forever but I've finally found someone who likes the Alfheim arc better than the first....Like, the whole show was super flawed but I appreciated the fact that there was no more forced drama from the "die in the game, you die in real life" aspect, which never felt impactful since the show didn't spend any time focusing on the characters. It also kept having random episodes unrelated to the main task of completing the game in the first half, with some fake harem stuff going on. Plus Asuna's personality kept changing abruptly, and while that may be in part due to the time skips, I feel its extremely detrimental to the show and makes it hard to like the characters. Because in Alfheim she's just put in a tower for the whole show, that's no longer an issue of her character going all over the place. (although her being there is an issue in itself). No timeskips, no random adventure episodes, no forced drama...Just slow progression towards Kirito's main goal.

EDIT: Oops. I did not intend to double post. Still getting used to this forum.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

I'm watching Kekkai Sensen and Level E. I'm waiting for more comedic or cute ones like Arakawa or Barakamon that do not involve quasi-harem or all-girls cast that seem to plague like 99% of every new season.

I'd say I also really like battle shounen and light hearted anime the average fan strays away from. But with battle shounen... I think other than Jojo and Hunter x Hunter there isn't anything on-going I'm interested at. One Piece really tested my patience but I find it more repetitive and predictable than Pocket effin Monsters. Bleach has been terrible since the 2nd arc but I tried reading past the beginning of the current arc for sake of laughing at Kubo's plot for each chapter. Then it stopped being funny. Naruto I honestly didn't hate it like 90% of the people... until the last arc, when it turned into a pile of shit.

I started Shokugeki no Soma but stopped after the 2nd episode. It's difficult to watch it when my stomach is not empty and it does a good job at making me hungry. The extremely over-the-top fanservice though... 

I'm watching Kekkai Sensen and Level E. I'm waiting for more comedic or cute ones like Arakawa or Barakamon that do not involve quasi-harem or all-girls cast that seem to plague like 99% of every new season.

I'd say I also really like battle shounen and light hearted anime the average fan strays away from. But with battle shounen... I think other than Jojo and Hunter x Hunter there isn't anything on-going I'm interested at. One Piece really tested my patience but I find it more repetitive and predictable than Pocket effin Monsters. Bleach has been terrible since the 2nd arc but I tried reading past the beginning of the current arc for sake of laughing at Kubo's plot for each chapter. Then it stopped being funny. Naruto I honestly didn't hate it like 90% of the people... until the last arc, when it turned into a pile of shit.

I started Shokugeki no Soma but stopped after the 2nd episode. It's difficult to watch it when my stomach is not empty and it does a good job at making me hungry. The extremely over-the-top fanservice though...

It's quite rare to find anime with harem or ecchi or something now a days. Quite sad they go for fanservice most of the time. Then again  that sells in Japan.  

World trigger has got me engaged lately. As well as overlord, gate and arslan senki.  That last was quite good. From Hiromu Arakawa.

Shoukugeki is quite interesting despite all that literal food porn. 

Bleach has been terrible since the 2nd arc but I tried reading past the beginning of the current arc for sake of laughing at Kubo's plot for each chapter. Then it stopped being funny. Naruto I honestly didn't hate it like 90% of the people... until the last arc, when it turned into a pile of shit.

Y'know as much as I don't like Bleach I would argue the Zanpakuto Rebellion filler arc was actually pretty great.

Y'know as much as I don't like Bleach I would argue the Zanpakuto Rebellion filler arc was actually pretty great.

I liked it better when Bleach looked like it was going to be one of those episodic supernatural dual life high school anime.

Kubo shouldn't be doing "epic" battle shounen. He tosses all those thousand characters who act and talk the same. Ichigo lost any personality he had since the rescue. A bunch of shiningami who all "don't like their zanpakuto much" for a reason or another. Aizen's reveal at the end of the 2nd arc didn't have any impact on me because the character had barely much build up to that point.

Edited by dischimera
  • Like 2