The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

12 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I really like this shot for some reason.

I think its the character designs and lack of sameface. Its well drawn/has a decent amount of detail, and its well animated enough to where you can clearly discern emotion and movement just from their facial expressions. 

The show is very pretty to look at and a breath of fresh air considering modern anime art trends. Plus that scene in particular is just kind of comforting. They look so relaxed and hopeful.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

So I've been watching Dragon Ball Super.

Not gonna lie.

The wolf furries fighting Goku and his crew have the fur-fag in me pretty hyped right now for the upcoming episodes V;

KsPNQam.png

Goku and Vegeta are gods now, who do they have left to fight? Furries, now? Are we to assume they are more powerful than him?

54 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Goku and Vegeta are gods now, who do they have left to fight? Furries, now? Are we to assume they are more powerful than him?

They're fighting the strongest fighters in the multiverse now. V; And yea, its unlikely the furries are more powerful, but its a fun ride all the same.

17 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

They're fighting the strongest fighters in the multiverse now. V; And yea, its unlikely the furries are more powerful, but its a fun ride all the same.

Well if that's the case then maybe they should fight their dopplegangers from a parallel universe. Now THAT I'd pay to see. It would be like that Jet Li movie, The One, but with Saiyans.

Man, Little Witch Academy's actual anime is just as good as the OVAs. What a nice charming little show. And thank you Diana for being the Special Snowflake Snob™ but not actually being annoyingly up your own ass.

The best character on the show though. 
276361.jpg

Can't say "no" to a stoner troll. What a dick. :^)

EDIT: Ok...Sucy has competition. 

tumblr_nqyj0xdjdN1tyak95o1_540.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Like your Fantasy, more European? Like Monster guys?

Mahou Tsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus Bride) is probably the most Western feeling manga I have encountered. There's a series of OAVs that have come out for the series as well.Studio Wit handled the animation, and it's really beautiful

https://9anime.to/watch/mahoutsukai-no-yome-hoshi-matsu-hito.wwxl/4njzo

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/mahou_tsukai_no_yome/

If you like Beauty and the Beast type fairy tales there is also Sacrifice Princess and King of Beasts

MR-360258-793635-1.jpg

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/niehime_to_kemono_no_ou/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually more stoked Rage of Bahamut Season 2 than Attack on Titan season 2. I admit I didn't see the first season of Rage of Bahamut early on because of Attack on Titan. I did see it later and I have to say in terms of pacing and quality, RoB is definitely better. I tried, rewatching AoT and would get annoyed even though I love the elements of AoT.

Rage of Bahamut on the other hand made me think, "Wait this was based off a TCG?!?" Need more Crazy Afro'd gingers in our life (that's not Carrotop).

mobile-game-lore.jpg

On 2017-04-13 at 7:12 PM, QT Melon said:

I was actually more stoked Rage of Bahamut Season 2 than Attack on Titan season 2. I admit I didn't see the first season of Rage of Bahamut early on because of Attack on Titan. I did see it later and I have to say in terms of pacing and quality, RoB is definitely better. I tried, rewatching AoT and would get annoyed even though I love the elements of AoT.

Rage of Bahamut on the other hand made me think, "Wait this was based off a TCG?!?" Need more Crazy Afro'd gingers in our life (that's not Carrotop).

mobile-game-lore.jpg

That's just a spinoff of ideon.

To my surprise, The Eccentric Family season 2 is airing. I can't believe I missed it. That show was one of the best shows of 2013, and one of the few that I can give a 10/10. The show did a really wonderful job of creating a realistic and endearing family that shows love and care for one another, but shows that everyone still has their own quirks. The show was full of family drama all alongside a fear that the tanuki in the show would be thrown into a hot pot and eaten. There was so much love, tension, and general quirkiness to it, and now its airing again and its as strong as ever!

I miss that old OP though. 

18 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I'm surprised. So many people were talking about the show when it was airing that I thought that'd sustain it. 750 BD copies per volume? That's awful. I guess this means the Western market doesn't do much to keep series alive either. Funimation licensed the show, so it was bound to get a DVD/BD release over here sooner or later.

I never watched the series personally, so I wasn't fan, but its not something I wanted to see die either.

Currently watching Hunter x Hunter and am almost done with it. I think I'm around episode 130 or so.

Man, this series started off so fun and whimsical, and I was mostly on board until the Greed Island segment which got stupid. Now it's just ... maybe not bad, but not good. The writing has gone to shit, the super powers are now goddamned stupid, and while everyone told me to watch this one, no one told me it wasn't actually over. So now I feel like I've wasted my time with it.

Will still finish what's left, just to see how the arc ends. Stupidly I imagine, but maybe it'll surprise me.

http://goboiano.com/japan-puts-anime-in-zoo-and-penguin-adopts-a-waifu/

Kemono-Friends-2-1.jpgKemono-Friends-1-1.jpg

Due to the popularity of Kemono Friends, zoos are now doing significantly better in Japan, and apparently due to this they decided to put Kemono Friends' cutouts in various parts of the zoo depending on which characters go with which animal. The end result is one penguin in particular growing attached and spending a lot of time staring at and around this character.

Ok This one got me. The music is great. SukaSuka is it's abbreviated name cuz the long one is a doozy (WorldEnd)

Seems like it doesn't delve too much into the current society which is somewhat disappointing cuz the designs are neat.

5907659111c73_Screenshot2017-05-0109_39_05.thumb.png.61a6b7b517fd69eff8e9ad123d09a749.png

https://9anime.to/watch/shuumatsu-nani-shitemasu-ka-isogashii-desu-ka-sukutte-moratte-ii-desu-ka.148m/6w7jjz

8 hours ago, QT Melon said:

Ok This one got me. The music is great. SukaSuka is it's abbreviated name cuz the long one is a doozy (WorldEnd)

I notice there's a trend to make anime nowadays with long ass titles, but it's like these people honestly were trying to win the Guinness record for longest title. The entire title is "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?"

It's three fucking sentences long. Not even just one sentence, but three. Fucking. Sentences. With three fucking question marks at the end. Like, I could understand if there was a subtitle like some things have, but maybe Japan culturally doesn't understand subtitles?

Seriously though, stop it Japan. Just...stop it. Don't make me nuke you again.

I honestly think they do that to compensate for the fact most of these anime with long ass titles aren't very good.

Also, why are there furries in that screen cap? Is this a furry anime? Has Japan reach furry trash level of degeneracy?

On 4/29/2017 at 2:54 AM, Battlechili said:

http://goboiano.com/japan-puts-anime-in-zoo-and-penguin-adopts-a-waifu/

Hide contents

Kemono-Friends-2-1.jpgKemono-Friends-1-1.jpg

Due to the popularity of Kemono Friends, zoos are now doing significantly better in Japan, and apparently due to this they decided to put Kemono Friends' cutouts in various parts of the zoo depending on which characters go with which animal. The end result is one penguin in particular growing attached and spending a lot of time staring at and around this character.

The penguin found a waifu?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read and finished Kizumonogatari, and then I watched the first two of the three Kizumonogatari films and I'm honestly really disappointed in the anime adaptation. What was Shaft thinking? Why did they remove a significant portion of the dialogue and make the film so quiet? Why did they make the abandoned cram school look like an empty brand new business building? Such isn't even consistent with the other anime! Its supposed to look old beat up and abandoned, so there's no reason to make it look so shiny and new. I understand that they like making things look shiny but this is just silly.

I can't believe I'm saying this but really, read the novel if you want more Monogatari. Kizu isn't that great an anime.

Watched Konasuba and had a blast. Shame it probably won't get more seasons :(

Could have done without the fan service mind you, but the humor was great.

Started Mob Psycho. So far so good! It has some great style going for it, and once again, the humor is pretty great.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Battlechili said:

To my surprise, The Eccentric Family season 2 is airing. I can't believe I missed it. That show was one of the best shows of 2013, and one of the few that I can give a 10/10. The show did a really wonderful job of creating a realistic and endearing family that shows love and care for one another, but shows that everyone still has their own quirks. The show was full of family drama all alongside a fear that the tanuki in the show would be thrown into a hot pot and eaten. There was so much love, tension, and general quirkiness to it, and now its airing again and its as strong as ever!

I miss that old OP though. 

I'm waiting for this one to finish so I can just watch the whole thing in two sittings. The first season was exquisite; but then, this is the same novelist who produced The Tatami Galaxy, so it wasn't entirely surprising.

On April 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Conker said:

Currently watching Hunter x Hunter and am almost done with it. I think I'm around episode 130 or so.

Man, this series started off so fun and whimsical, and I was mostly on board until the Greed Island segment which got stupid. Now it's just ... maybe not bad, but not good. The writing has gone to shit, the super powers are now goddamned stupid, and while everyone told me to watch this one, no one told me it wasn't actually over. So now I feel like I've wasted my time with it.

Will still finish what's left, just to see how the arc ends. Stupidly I imagine, but maybe it'll surprise me.

I honestly cannot disagree more, save perhaps for the Greed Island arc getting a bit pointless (because it really did, not gonna lie). Say what you will about the pacing—I'd call it deliberate and tense but arguing that it gets glacial wouldn't be without merit—but the character writing in the Chimera Ant arc in particular is fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Mandragoras said:

I honestly cannot disagree more, save perhaps for the Greed Island arc getting a bit pointless (because it really did, not gonna lie). Say what you will about the pacing—I'd call it deliberate and tense but arguing that it gets glacial wouldn't be without merit—but the character writing in the Chimera Ant arc in particular is fantastic.

Mereum is a great character, but I'd say the rest are either on par with what we've seen or actively worse. I don't buy Gon's flip of being fine with letting a blind girl die so he can fight a cat girl. It's so counter to his nature that it just doesn't work. The cat girl's flip of sadist to not sadist in that moment was also out of character for her.

Then more nen bullshit.

At least the last season was strong. It ends well, or well enough.

3 hours ago, Conker said:

Mereum is a great character, but I'd say the rest are either on par with what we've seen or actively worse. I don't buy Gon's flip of being fine with letting a blind girl die so he can fight a cat girl. It's so counter to his nature that it just doesn't work. The cat girl's flip of sadist to not sadist in that moment was also out of character for her.

Then more nen bullshit.

At least the last season was strong. It ends well, or well enough.

It's more complicated than that, I think. The Royal Guard are, simply put, children who grow up very quickly as the story progresses, and the way that each evolves has its own logic. Neferpitou is arguably the most precocious of the three, but even so, they start out seeing others as toys rather than people—which their powers certainly reinforce—and only slowly reaching the understanding that those that they looked at as objects have valid emotions and inner lives as their own self-awareness develops. It's subtle (mostly), but it's there. As for Gon... he's pure. He's always been pure. Pure is not necessarily the same as good. The very things that make him so tenacious and sincere make him capable of truly horrid things when confronted with something which he cannot handle emotionally.

I'm not sure I agree with the point about the nen stuff either. It's very obvious from Kurapika's confrontation with Uvogin that while the show's power creep was never going to be *especially* ridiculous, there was always an open door for truly outlandish shit, and if the show were to build up to it, there would be no holding back. Given the structure of the arc, the wild things which happened by the end only seemed logical to me, and indeed flirted with a few favourite tropes of mine regarding magic which I don't see too often in this sort of show—or most action or high fantasy series, really, because they have kind of unsettling implications.

I will agree that the show's last act is strong, though. I actually cried at more than one point. Because I am a fucking sap.

2 hours ago, Mandragoras said:

It's more complicated than that, I think. The Royal Guard are, simply put, children who grow up very quickly as the story progresses, and the way that each evolves has its own logic. Neferpitou is arguably the most precocious of the three, but even so, they start out seeing others as toys rather than people—which their powers certainly reinforce—and only slowly reaching the understanding that those that they looked at as objects have valid emotions and inner lives as their own self-awareness develops. It's subtle (mostly), but it's there. As for Gon... he's pure. He's always been pure. Pure is not necessarily the same as good. The very things that make him so tenacious and sincere make him capable of truly horrid things when confronted with something which he cannot handle emotionally.

I'm not sure I agree with the point about the nen stuff either. It's very obvious from Kurapika's confrontation with Uvogin that while the show's power creep was never going to be *especially* ridiculous, there was always an open door for truly outlandish shit, and if the show were to build up to it, there would be no holding back. Given the structure of the arc, the wild things which happened by the end only seemed logical to me, and indeed flirted with a few favourite tropes of mine regarding magic which I don't see too often in this sort of show—or most action or high fantasy series, really, because they have kind of unsettling implications.

I will agree that the show's last act is strong, though. I actually cried at more than one point. Because I am a fucking sap.

Neferipitou's motive was portrayed as, "I need to protect this girl because she's important to the king." It's why she broke her own arm to appease Gon. So when she's saved and Gon asks her to go save Kite, there's no reason for her to comply. Her job is done. Gon's a child, and she's stronger than he is until extreme Nen bullshit takes over.

That she sticks with her promise when she's spent a few scenes digging around Legolas's brain to learn how Nen works like some mad scientist doesn't make any sense. She's the epitome of the heartless, violent ant. Not even Mereum is that.

And I would argue that in this context, pure is the same as good. I viewed Gon like I do Goku in Dragonball. Both are pure characters who like a good fight and are mostly stupid. Both are naive. Neither would allow a blind chick to die out of spite, except Gon is all of a sudden fine with that.

I mean, if you bought the character development then I can't argue you to just not. I'm glad you enjoyed the arc--especially given that it's sixty christing episodes--but I thought it was the most wildly bullshit of all the arcs, which is saying something given the show.

I actually have a lot of problems with the ant arc though. Mereum managed to save it, because his relationship with the blind girl is some amazing writing, and he's easily one of the best villains I've seen in anime. Him and Hisoka are top tier, and both are the reason to watch Hunter x Hunter.

4 hours ago, Conker said:

And I would argue that in this context, pure is the same as good. I viewed Gon like I do Goku in Dragonball. Both are pure characters who like a good fight and are mostly stupid. Both are naive. Neither would allow a blind chick to die out of spite, except Gon is all of a sudden fine with that.

I can buy most of the rest of what you said even if I don't really agree—see what I said earlier about Neferpitou's initial sadism and later unflinching loyalty being childlike—but there are a lot of hints far earlier in the series that Gon does not think like a normal, rational person, mostly because he's literally not even a teenager but at least in part because he's single-minded in his priorities to a vaguely unsettling degree. Generally, his priorities are pretty relatable and his behaviour is quite moral, but until that point we'd never seen a particularly dramatic example of his priorities being contrary to his better nature or overriding it. The Chimera Ant arc flips the script after a certain point, and while Gon certainly changes for the better in the aftermath, it's pretty unnerving.

Meruem and Komugi are excellent, though, and probably the highlight of that arc, certain other interesting moments aside. The themes of familial love in that arc and the final arc are also interesting to me, and the way that they play off this when we see things from the Ants' point of view and with Gon's odd attachment to Kite and then later when we get another peak into Killua's fucked up family dynamic—it's all honestly really delightful.

13 hours ago, Mandragoras said:

I can buy most of the rest of what you said even if I don't really agree—see what I said earlier about Neferpitou's initial sadism and later unflinching loyalty being childlike—but there are a lot of hints far earlier in the series that Gon does not think like a normal, rational person, mostly because he's literally not even a teenager but at least in part because he's single-minded in his priorities to a vaguely unsettling degree. Generally, his priorities are pretty relatable and his behaviour is quite moral, but until that point we'd never seen a particularly dramatic example of his priorities being contrary to his better nature or overriding it. The Chimera Ant arc flips the script after a certain point, and while Gon certainly changes for the better in the aftermath, it's pretty unnerving.

Meruem and Komugi are excellent, though, and probably the highlight of that arc, certain other interesting moments aside. The themes of familial love in that arc and the final arc are also interesting to me, and the way that they play off this when we see things from the Ants' point of view and with Gon's odd attachment to Kite and then later when we get another peak into Killua's fucked up family dynamic—it's all honestly really delightful.

Which is exactly why i didn't buy it. We're talking about a character whose entire motivation is to find his dead-beat dad because "he must really have fun since he wasn't around to raise me!"

His motivation for season two basically boils down to "i need to punch a clown in the face."

Going from that to how he views Komugi was just off as hell.

But as we agree, Meruem and Komugi were fucking awesome. They make the arc worth watching. The last arc is also quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...