The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Animation looks rather different. Wonder if it's a different studio. Sounds like the same voice actress though.

The first season of FLCL was a Production IG and Gainax collaborative project, while these two seasons are only Production IG (they bought the rights from Gainax a couple years ago).

Hi

But what if

I like Big O season 2 more than the first season

On 3/20/2018 at 6:23 PM, AshleyAshes said:

The title of my light novel series will be "Is it wrong to spend $1245 CAD on anime BluRays since September???"

IMG_20180320_182026.thumb.jpg.ce2add1cabb0b46530e85c259928165f.jpg

From what I see, I what turn those in for better stuff.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:28 PM, Battlechili said:

But what if

Hide contents

I like Big O season 2 more than the first season

No one likes season 2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished binge watching Inuyashiki, guy certainly matured from his Gantz days. It's still got that sci fi weirdness and brutality, but better emotional investments in characters. Nice twist on the usual tropes too. I like Man with a Mission's OP song, but still my favorite is Database from Log Horizon.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

What the fuck, When? How? WHERE?

Anime North in Toronto this past weekend.  ...And a LOT of standing in line very early to ensure I was 9th in line and would not be turned away before the autograph session ended.

The translator was asking if it was 'Official Merchandise' and there was some back and forth as I tried to explain what an animation cel was. At one point she was like 'So you drew this'?  Eventually she understood.  Iwao-san of course TOTALLY knew what a cel was. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm watching the original Gundam and it's making me more curious as to how the "mech" genre evolved. It seems to mark this transitional period between the kind of shows that were summarized by the Krypton Force Trailer Guy and later shows that took a more directly sci-fi/thematically sophisticated tone. It's well-written, the soundtrack is absolutely boss, but the animation isn't far beyond it's predecessors; beyond the two obvious iconic mech designs everything still looks very 70s. It's striking how humble it looks, how it doesn't measure up to the hole it's punched in Japanese culture.

Sometimes things are just like that. Sort of the opposite of stuff like the original Star Trek, where it's immediately and visually obvious that it was something that was very different from the TV shows that came before.

• 2 months later...

Attack On Titan Final Season is airing now and I am in love with this show again. The show basically went from a horror tragedy to mecha shounen to political drama to war drama and I am loving it. Once Season 3 Part 2 came around and had that one big battle between the heroes and

the colossal titan, the gorilla titan, and the armored titan

, the show finally hit its peak.

I also just love how the show shows the characters grow over time. All the characters are fully grown now and war torn in a very tragic way. MAPPA's animation is a little weird and not quite as good as WIT's but its still pretty solid and I was so happy when the most recent episodes turned the show into steampunk spiderman again.