Second-Hand Smoke

Clove Darkwave

7 minutes ago, Barnectomy said:

Didn't all of you go to school? That's how a lot of people get started. Teens like doing shit that tuhey shouldn't.

No because Im a pasty white nerd who doesnt sucumb to peer pressure when I have better things to do like sit in front of a computer reading waifu comics

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I don't really get how people start smoking this day and age.  I get people who still smoke, its crazy addictive, but who starts smoking?  Its expensive, you have to do it outdoors unless you're at home, and it has few 'upsides'.  Like, Crystal Meth has more upsides than cigarettes.  The think cigarettes mostly do is relieve withdraw symptoms from nicotine withdrawl, so why start at all?

Did you know? The average age for a new smoker is 13, well before they start making rational decisions. I only look down on grown-ass adults who still smoke, more because they should know better, and should have grown out of that phase years ago. Cigarettes are on-par with watching Spongebob to me.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I don't really get how people start smoking this day and age.  I get people who still smoke, its crazy addictive, but who starts smoking?  Its expensive, you have to do it outdoors unless you're at home, and it has few 'upsides'.  Like, Crystal Meth has more upsides than cigarettes.  The think cigarettes mostly do is relieve withdraw symptoms from nicotine withdrawl, so why start at all?

You must never have smoked meth. Its possibly the worst tasting and smelling thing ever. And cigarettes are still prevalent because of popular culture and their frequent portrayal as being cool by such. I wonder what they put in cigarettes nowadays because goddamn its the one drug i cant quit. Even heroin is easier to quit that this shit. 

6 hours ago, shadowsinhiding said:

I really hate smoking, every single person knows how dangerous they can be. Why even do it in the first place? To look cool? Social reasons? Helped your depression? They're all fucking lazy excuses. Not only that but the 2nd hand smoke drives me crazy, i hate the smell and i end up finding myself taking mini asthma attacks because now these days there isn't a single bit of air that isn't polluted or covered in 2nd hand smoke.

I really hate the stuff and i look down upon people who do it >:|

It's easy to believe there's one simple Point A to Point B solution for all problems, regardless of environment, background, and personal resources,
but unfortunately, this is not the case.
But damn if people won't claw at the chance to feel a sense of superiority over it. Gotta get that rush somehow.

I smoke because it's a quick, easy way to quell my mental issues when they occur.
And it has less tangible side-effects than the medication I was taking for the same problems, in a way that interferes with my work less.

Healthier? No, definitely not.
But limited solutions coupled with limited finances and highly burdening situations that need immediate action sometimes force you into unfavorable circumstance. That's just how shit works out sometimes. Just gotta grin and pick the less bumpy road, so your car doesn't break down in the process of traveling it.

It's nice that you're in a better situation where you're not forced into these kinds of decisions, but don't assume everyone has the same luxury.

Inconsiderate smokers, however, are fucking assholes, and should know better.
So I'm sorry you're dealing with their bullshit, Clove.

16 minutes ago, Vae said:

It's easy to believe there's one simple Point A to Point B solution for all problems, regardless of environment, background, and personal resources,
but unfortunately, this is not the case.
But damn if people won't claw at the chance to feel a sense of superiority over it. Gotta get that rush somehow.

I smoke because it's a quick, easy way to quell my mental issues when they occur.
And it has less tangible side-effects than the medication I was taking for the same problems, in a way that interferes with my work less.

Healthier? No, definitely not.
But limited solutions coupled with limited finances and highly burdening situations that need immediate action sometimes force you into unfavorable circumstance. That's just how shit works out sometimes. Just gotta grin and pick the less bumpy road, so your car doesn't break down in the process of traveling it.

It's nice that you're in a better situation where you're not forced into these kinds of decisions, but don't assume everyone has the same luxury.

Inconsiderate smokers, however, are fucking assholes, and should know better.
So I'm sorry you're dealing with their bullshit, Clove.

Sorry but i don't see things that way. I don't believe in smoking without a choice, you made the decision to use cigarettes instead of medication. Also I'm going to ask you to not assume I'm better off. because I'm not...i just know differently and know my options. Thank you but I'm going to risk the bumpier road. Might be more of a risk but if i get there i know the reward will be far sweeter.

35 minutes ago, jcstinks said:

I disapprove of your life choices.

Funny, my parents say the same thing

13 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

Sorry but i don't see things that way. I don't believe in smoking without a choice, you made the decision to use cigarettes instead of medication. Also I'm going to ask you to not assume I'm better off. because I'm not...i just know differently and know my options. Thank you but I'm going to risk the bumpier road. Might be more of a risk but if i get there i know the reward will be far sweeter.

From what I hear of people who actually take medication, it's not the simple fix doctors make it to be, you said yourself doctors dont always know whats right or something along those lines. Sometimes it simply doesnt work, or at least not without complication. People will seek what alternatives will work for them in coping with serious issues they may have.

My Father used to be a big smoker, I'm not (I gag everytime :p). But when I first moved in with him 5-6 years ago he decided to cut back and would not smoke inside the house, heck even his friends began cutting back. After a while he got sick and quit smoking altogether, now only his girlfriend smokes and he would have the odd vape. Personally I prefare vaper's to smokers but at the sametime I hate hte idea that just because you vape means you can ignore all common decency rules such as NO SMOKING INDOORS! "Hurr durr it aint smoke!" fuck you.

I don't see why the vape hate, it's kinda stupid. The worst health effect they have with them is the nicotine, which is optional, and aside from the addiction is kinda like caffiene.

I mean, there's being rude with them but I will let others vape around me because it's a mild, usually pleasent, odor with no second hand smoke effects.

Cigs are gross though, and tobacco has always given me headaches and the like from being near I think. My body doesn't like it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

I don't see why the vape hate, it's kinda stupid. The worst health effect they have with them is the nicotine, which is optional, and aside from the addiction is kinda like caffiene.

I mean, there's being rude with them but I will let others vape around me because it's a mild, usually pleasent, odor with no second hand smoke effects.

Cigs are gross though, and tobacco has always given me headaches and the like from being near I think. My body doesn't like it.

This is the part where I say "oh well cigarettes were considered healthy 70 years ago, we don't know all the effects of vaping, the vaping community has a history of being hideously over-defensive, etc."

I have nothing against vaping itself, I mean if it keeps you from the real thing more power to ya. But if someone doesn't want you to do something, don't fucking do it.

51 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

The smell of marijuana is sort of an acquired taste. When you first smell it, most people think it's pretty vile, which is understandable. Suddenly when you get used to it, especially if you start smoking it yourself, the smell becomes heavenly.

Just like a skunk's butt. 

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

W-what?

At first it is vile, then you get used to it...pretty soon you cannot live without it. Your whole life becomes a ritualistic dedication to skunk junk. Every waking moment, and every intoxicating dream, just another step in the unending, unwavering and irrepressible search for that next puff of fetid skunk fume. 

On the subject though, I don't actually know what cannabis smells like; I suppose I've lead a sheltered life. 

28 minutes ago, Saxon said:

At first it is vile, then you get used to it...pretty soon you cannot live without it. Your whole life becomes a ritualistic dedication to skunk junk. Every waking moment, and every intoxicating dream, just another step in the unending, unwavering and irrepressible search for that next puff of fetid skunk fume. 

Sure?

9 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Oh geez, a blood clot? Is that from the secondhand or something else? Okay maybe thats a bit personal but that sounds pretty awful.

Not really sure. It'd likely be a genetic thing exacerbated by medication.

Also pot smells like wet shit, gives me horrible head pains. You people are delusional.

Edited by Clove Darkwave

I never thought marijuana smelled that bad. It was just a strange odor that filled the school bus when the stoners would come aboard. Then again, I sort of like the smell of cigarettes, so maybe I'm queer. You know what really smells good? Gasoline. Especially at gas stations. Hnnnng I'd smell that shit all day if it didn't kill brain cells.

• Like 1

I can't stand people who smoke in public. Please don't force other people to inhale your tobacco or vape. It's unfair and they've made the decision not to smoke for a reason.

I smoke cigars, but only in the comforts of my room, and with a small glass of cognac. I generally wait for a day when no ones coming over so people don't have to deal with the smell. 

I can't decide which is more annoying, inconsiderate smokers or people who whine about smoking and look down their noses at smokers.

Protip: Loose leaf tobacco doesn't stink nearly as bad as tailored cigarettes. Roll yer own or use a water pipe and you're much less liable to stink afterwards. Plus it's tastier, and with no additives (usually). My room mates smoke exclusively dirty bowls, and somebody is bound to be in the garage smoking -something- at any given time. I've heard no complaining about any part of the house smelling like resin or cigarettes, including guests, my parents, and the one resident non-smoker. People are in and out the door all day too.

1 hour ago, 6tails said:

Let's see, I've got some Skunk #1 (smells just like a fuckin' skunk sprayed the house) Snocap(smells like wintermint gum and tastes like it too) I got some Black Magic (smells like pine trees) I've got some Purple Urkle (which smells like Tutti Fruity) and I've got some house shake that smells like freshly-cured hay (likely BC Big Bud strain, commercial stuff.)

Marijuana has hundreds of scents. Well over 20 terpenes and flavinoids identified and counting!

Snowcap is amazing!  <3

Doctor: Time for your annual check up. How's your health?

Patient: Pretty good I've decided to quit smoking.

Doctor: That would certainly be a good move.

**writes in chart: patient patient at less risk of cancer **

Patient: Yeah, I just started vaping.

Doctor: Oh, really?

**writes in chart: patient is a douchebag asshole.**

2 hours ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Only the dumb ones that get weeded out over time and enter low end jobs to die in, those that start doing stupid stuff and stop later can move on to better things (like die in a more well paying job and be only moderately more wealthy with a veneer of posh living in a continuously degrading middle class world)

Doing dumb shit just to do dumb shit is the biggest crime hormones/puberty ever committed against humanity

I kind of agree. Those who started smoking early all went to work faster instead of pursuing higher education.

And then there's me who started smoking at 19. Reasons being a mix of boredom/depression and all things in between. Going outside for a few minutes with friends even to do as stupid thing as smoking gave me that little feeling of happiness and made a break in the daily routine. I tried exercise and stuff as well and I still take bike rides and walk a lot every week, but smoking stuck back then because it was easy and the quickest way to get a good feel when I felt shit.

And to those who comment on cigs tasting like shit. It is an acquired taste. I doubt you liked coffee as a 5 yo or beer/strong drinks the first time you tasted them. The first few taste like arse, but after a short while your glorious brain associates it with goodfeel and suddenly the smell stops being bad, the taste stops being bad. All because the brain has made the connection of it being good EVEN if you know how terrible it actually is. And with all things we perceive as sources of feeling good, we want more. Be it fatty foods, soft/hard drinks, smoking, exercise, sex and so on. Our brains are actually quite fucking retarded to be honest for being such a bitch to dopamine and endorphins.

So if you think it always tastes like the one you tried and wonder how people can smoke for long, you're an idiot.

I also have to comment on the vape hate. Vaping is a good way to stop smoking, not replace it as a habit. If you replace smoking with vaping for a while and keep dropping the nico and at 0% ask yourself "What the fuck am I even doing anymore" you can throw away the e-cig as you don't need it. Now those who continue using, or even start vaping from no smoke background because it is cool to them, those people should get the hate. Hate the people, don't hate the tool. 

3 hours ago, Luka said:

"Acquired taste" is a fancy way of saying you somehow grew to enjoy something that is, in fact , not really that good at all. Yuck . 

Probably so, I have an acquired taste for lambic which has been described as tasting like barnyard funk and wet horse blanket :P

On 1/14/2016 at 6:22 AM, shadowsinhiding said:

I really hate smoking, every single person knows how dangerous they can be. Why even do it in the first place? To look cool? Social reasons? Helped your depression? They're all fucking lazy excuses. Not only that but the 2nd hand smoke drives me crazy, i hate the smell and i end up finding myself taking mini asthma attacks because now these days there isn't a single bit of air that isn't polluted or covered in 2nd hand smoke.

I really hate the stuff and i look down upon people who do it >:|

They are lazy excuses. And those of you who don't smoke, DON'T FUCKING START. I don't care if your parents smoke, I don't care if you're depressed, need to fit in, or anything else. Find a less addictive activity, one that won't blacken your lungs, and poison the lungs of non-smokers.

On 1/14/2016 at 2:13 PM, shadowsinhiding said:

Exactly, I've been down in my life, I didn't start smoking, drinking, any sort of drugs, anything. I know better, I went to school, and I know that shit's bad for you. I'm sure many of those who start also know this, which is why it boggles my mind that people get themselves addicted.