Favorite nostalgic game?

Mr.Kumquat

PC, PS1, N64, NES, etc. What is your favorite old video game? My vote goes to Diablo (1996) for PC. First game i ever completed, and even now there are new mods available that give you added challenge, play-ability, and new content. Just don't let this turn into a console war -_- 

I don't have any one favourite but these are the ones that 1st come to mind. Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Bubsy or Pharaoh. Even though I feel as though I didn't understand everything in pharaoh at the time.

250px-Red_EN_boxart.pngPok%C3%A9mon_box_art_-_Gold_Version.png250px-Crystal_EN_boxart.pnglatest?cb=2010070201574236894-Final_Fantasy_Anthology_-_Final_Fa

(FF Anthology is 5&6 for those who may not know.)

I can still play all of my favorite songs from those games in my head when I miss them and I actually have soundtracks for some. I still own them all as well. Can't bear to let them go.

Also to a far lesser extent but still some: the old Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong games (mostly the Game Boy ones). Too lazy to go get box art for all of those.

Edited by Kinare

LBA2-U.jpg

My all time favourite when I was young, and still holds up today, I think.  I didn't really have the concept of beating games at that young age, I just wanted to explore and have fun.  It was the largest adventure game I had played at the time and it blew my mind how it just kept going, there was always more to explore.  The music still holds a special place in my heart, I get a little teary-eyed just listening to it.

Our first video game system was a hand-me-down SNES, with DKC 1 & 2, and The Lion King. We didn't get too far in The Lion King, but we played the Hell out of Donkey Kong.

I mostly get nostalgic over the music. Pokemon Crystal with its square-wave synth-y goodness will get me pretty much every time. And "Stickerbush Symphony" and really most of the DKC music. I was a little pissed when I heard they completely redid the music for the DKC3 remake; I didn't buy that one. 

I like how if I play back a world map tune in a game with random encounters, eventually the battle theme will pop up. Runnin' around in the slums right... playin' along. Suddenly! Fun times... 

N64 and NES games don't give me much nostalgia because I still have them sitting right here on my desk. Both of my PS2s just stopped reading games, so Time Splitters: Future Perfect is mine. I've been wanting to play it again for 10 years but in all that time I haven't even seen gameplay

holy shit just getting this picture made my feels melt

4.png

Edited by Ves
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ginpanther said:

Are you getting the infamous "Disc read error?"

Yeah, my Game Cube did the same thing... played a lot of videogames lmao. They're both long gone now tho :c

Edited by Ves

13 hours ago, Ves said:

Yeah, my Game Cube did the same thing... played a lot of videogames lmao. They're both long gone now tho :c

Have you tried giving it a quick fix? Mine did the same thing and this did the trick, got me back up and working for quite a while before the error came back. By that time I'd moved on to XBoxes and Wiis and finer things in life, so I never went back to see if I could fix it a second time. I don't see why it couldn't.

I didn't have a lot of the "classics" growing up, instead I played a lot of DOS games.

My favourite growing up had to have been Space Quest. From one through six (and all the unofficial fanmade games I could download), I was obsessed. I remember my first introduction into something that was furry was a Space Quest fancomic where there was this cheetah girl traveling with Roger Wilco.

Space_Quest_I_-_Roger_Wilco_in_The_Sarie

Another DOS game I really liked was the Commander Keen series. I used to play those nonstop as a kid.

Commander_Keen_in_Goodbye_Galaxy_title_s 0000002398.600x338.jpg?t=1447351096

Jazz Jackrabbit was another bundle of joy for child me. I mean, you play as a green rabbit and have to rescue your teal princess from an evil turtle. What could go wrong?

jazz_title.png 

The Prince of Persia game gave me such grief. The jumps were impossible and annoying but thankfully didn't stop child me from playing games.

prince-of-persia-ss1.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uri said:

I didn't have a lot of the "classics" growing up, instead I played a lot of DOS games.

C:\> game.exe

C:\> bad command or file name

Early PC gaming problems. Good times. Also Commander Keen was one of my favorites.

9 minutes ago, Lemon said:

The PS2 is actually old for me. I adored the kingdom hearts serious, actually. I really miss it. 

The PS2 was the first console i actually owned. My family was poor as hell when i was young. So after i got the first paycheck from my first job, i bought a PS2 and Gran Tourismo.

• Like 1

There was this free game called IRL for Earth back in the days. I used to love that shit and had the season pass, but I have pretty much stopped playing it after the co-op modes broke and I was left with the singleplayer. I don't really like the direction the devs are taking it, but will keep an eye out for future installments.

Jokes aside I used to love a couple of games for the PS1, those being Star Wars Demolition (fave game of childhood), Mechwarrior 2, Lego Rock Raiders and Colony Wars: Vengeange

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup

Super smash bros Melee is about fifteen years old, does it count yet?

If not, I'd have to give it up to Age of Empires II: The Conqueror's Expansion. Shit was so dank, and I really really loved the aesthetic of it. It was oddly beautiful for how simple it was, and I just loved the silly things like how retarded villagers were, and how you could set a stone building on fire by whacking it with a sword and then put it out with a hammer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

oregon trail... that and those fucking huge floppy disks hahaha...

I always died of dysentery or a snake bite. :( And NEVER try to cross a river!

3 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

half press A

I'm so glad console controllers don't require 3 hands anymore.

It's really hard for me to say, my first look at games was the Amiga and DOS games I think? Joysticks and stuff. I was really really young and I can't remember too many titles but I do remember sitting on my dad's lap and watching Alien Breed. We never had a Nintendo console, but we got a Playstation when it became a thing. I used to play the demo discs tons as well as the full games of course. And then there was the PC alongside it.

My taste was shaped by odd games my dad would buy, he'd pick something up from a bargain bin somewhere because it looked cool. Trespasser was one of them. It was complete shit but I was little and I loved it. I still kinda like it today, just last year I completed it fully from A-to-B. Other than that there was a lot of weird stuff, some of it obscure, and a lot of movie tie-ins. Like Small Soldiers: Squad Commander, that game was the shit.

Also, unrelated, but is it me or did an overwhelming number of americans compared to europeans grow up with Nintendo over all other things? Quite a curio, I think.

Edited by Sir Gibby

18 hours ago, Uri said:

My favourite growing up had to have been Space Quest. From one through six (and all the unofficial fanmade games I could download), I was obsessed. I remember my first introduction into something that was furry was a Space Quest fancomic where there was this cheetah girl traveling with Roger Wilco.

Another DOS game I really liked was the Commander Keen series. I used to play those nonstop as a kid.

Jazz Jackrabbit was another bundle of joy for child me. I mean, you play as a green rabbit and have to rescue your teal princess from an evil turtle. What could go wrong?

I can relate, I grew up mostly on DOS games as both of my parents played them.  My mother passed down her love of adventure games. Her favourite was Space Quest as well, and I still quote those games today, especially IV with Gary Owens (RIP).  My dad was into RPGs and FPSs and got me into the likes of Wizardry and Doom.

And then there was the plethora of shareware games, CD collections with hundreds of games on them.  For a kid, it was pretty amazing, like some kind of wonderland where anything goes. Half the games didn't work and most of the rest were weird or buggy, but that didn't stop me from trying to play them all.  I still like to browse them in a virtual PC from time to time and see if I can uncover any hidden gems.