Rant: Overprotective

Sidewalk Surfboard

I am way too protective of the Rock Afire, I swear to god. I've talked about it before, but more and more people are joining the fandom and it literally has me in a panic because the type of people joining are the type of people I resent, the type of people I've been afraid of since what Quinn did to me. I must be a big cunt, or an idiot, or a child for being so afraid, but I can't help it. I don't want those people to defile something this close to me. I don't want it to become like every other fandom they get their gritty paws on. The Rock Afire means everything to me, and I don't want it to crumble up and die. They helped me through that harassment I faced, and their music and skits still make me happy. I don't want it to become the next Steven Universe, and garner a horrible fanbase. I'm scared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yarra said:

I doubt the fans who never experienced the Rock Afire Explosion will last long.  You had to be there to truly appreciate it.  

I know what you mean. I may have never seen them in real life, but they've helped me and made me happy in ways those people will never ever understand. My dream is to see them in person, and to meet the man behind them.

If I enjoy something,I couldn't give two craps about it's fanbase.

It's sad to think some people avoid or come to resent certain things because of populous fanbases.
I've seen a few people who refuse to give Undertale a chance because of it's large fanbase, for example.

Edited by Luka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I don't think Rock Afire Explosion is exactly high profile enough to get messed with very much by furries. I never even heard of it before you, and you're still the only one I've ever seen talk about it.

I only heard about it from reading books about video game history, where it's under the topic of Nolan Bushnell's post Atari adventures.  He came up with Chunk-E-Cheese (which featured animatronic shows) and they were eventually bought out by rival and nearly identical chain, Showbiz Pizza (which was home of the Rock-afire Explosion animatronic show) but the animatronics company walked away from what had become "Pizza Time Theatre Inc".  All locations were unified under the Chuck-E-Cheese branding in the early 1990's without the Rock Afire Explosion.  Basically, it's a footnote of a footnote in video game history. O.o

Try to focus on what *you* like about it, and learn to ignore the other stuff. Easier said than done, perhaps, but being around furries can help with this. Goodness knows, I'm not a fan of everything that goes on in this fandom, but I don't let it ruin my fun. Who knows, maybe The Rock-afire Explosion will come to mean as much to some of these new folks as it means to you.

On 1/29/2016 at 3:56 PM, Yarra said:

I doubt the fans who never experienced the Rock Afire Explosion will last long.  You had to be there to truly appreciate it.  

I saw them a few times when I was a kid. Imagine what could be done with today's technology.

Edited by Xaende

I get where you're coming from, since fandoms can ruin things. Homestuck and MLP have fanbases that make me cringe, for example.

But I still like the source material.

I've honestly find it kind of strange when someone likes something and wants it to stay obscure. This happens a lot with indie bands--band gets big and now they've "sold out" and aren't as good. I mean, don't you want the artists you like to be successful? Isn't going to happen if they stay local and can't grow.

Lil different with Rock Afire, but eh.