My dog is an escape artist

Misomie

My puppy, Laika, is just too smart. She has broken out of her kennel three times. 

The first time she just opened the gate and wrecked my house.

The second she broke the d-ring I was using to keep the gate locked and was able to squeeze through the opening left by the clipped on chain (also a lock). She didn't really do anything bad this time. 

Tonight she unclipped the chain. It's a choke chain wrapped around the bars and clipped shut with a leash (she ate the leash before I started using it for this purpose). She didn't break the chain or the clip. She unclipped it! (She also pulled one of the lock mechanisms off the gate but this can be fixed) She got into some empty cereal boxes and trash but nothing else. Luckily I put my donuts in the oven before leaving today. Boy I would have been mad if she ate those.

I'm thinking of buying several mountain climbing d-rings and just locking that kennel up like Alcatraz. 

I will be buying her a new Sky Kennel in a few months but for now she has to deal with the wire one. (This is the only kennel that she has never escaped from). 

So, thoughts on how to contain a wild six month old puppy? Or do you have an escape atrist pup?

14 minutes ago, Joel said:

Hmm do you cover the cage with a blanket or have a toy or something with your scent on it with her if she can't see any outside stimulus it might lessen her want to escape 

Blanket covers get shredded and yanked into the cage so it resembles confetti. Her old kennel had the plastic cover so that probably helped her with that but I don't think I have the excess funds to up and buy a new one for at least a few months as I have to save for her spay instead. She alternates between this stick chew and several other of her favorite chews. A kong with peanut butter doesn't help much either. She just waits until let out and then wants to actually use it. I used to keep her locked in the bathroom but she broke the door knob. I haven't tried adding a scented object yet. 

Seeing my dog free roam probably does tick her off though.

Oh yeah, I did do lots of kennel training. She is cool being locked up for a bit (when I'm in the room) but hates when I'm gone. I want to just exhaust her before locking her up but I have to be careful as she is still growing. 

5 hours ago, Gamedog said:

2 of the smallest carabiners u can find (2 inches long or so is the smallest ive found), one at the top and one at the bottom

if youre just putting one, she can easily push below it to bend the door outwards. there is no pushing it out if you put two on it

The one she broke was one of those small ones. She straight up pulled it until the metal bent. I do plan on buying several, they are going to be rated for strong forces and be the twisty kind though (gunna buy five or so).

Your dog is very sharp and intelligent

She needs intellectual simulation. She will also learn not to destroy your property if you punish for it. Set up a trap for her. Pretend that you will be gone. Once he escapes and starts doing her doggy things, scold him.

Overall, I don't believe locking her up solves the issues. She wants to be free. It's much better to teach her to behave well rather than clog the source of a problem. She will learn quick if your methods are correct. She is a very smart dog

Just be very sharp when training her. Reward immediatly When She does something right and punish immediatly When she does something wrong. Certain hand gestures will help and keep your voice firm, have intuition and confidence. Train regularly. 

There are many dog training videos, books and TV shows out there. Use them. Put your dog's smartness into good use

4 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

Your dog is very . sharp and intelligent

She needs intellectual simulation. She will also learn not to destroy your property if you punish for it. Set up a trap for her. Pretend that you will be gone. Once he escapes and starts doing her doggy things, scold him.

Overall, I don't believe locking her up solves the issues. She wants to be free. It's much better to teach her to behave well rather than clog the source of a problem. She will learn quick if your methods are correct. She is a very smart dog

Just be very sharp when training her. Reward immediatly When She does something right and punish immediatly When she does something wrong. asCertain hand gestures will help and keep your voice firm, have intuition and confidence. Train regularly. 

There are many dog training videos, books and TV shows out there. Use them. Put your dog's smartness into good use

The problem is that she isn't fully housebroken so she won't hesitate to pee and poop everywhere. She's really close but not quite there. It's been really rainy lately which has made her extra stubborn so I've often had to wait in the rain for several minutes to make sure she goes outside. It's a battle of stubborness with her. 

She is actually very good at not destroying things. I leave fursuit heads +materials, plushies, electronics, and other such items out and she does not touch them. 

However she is awful with trash that smells like food and food in general. The first time she wrecked my house she ate a loaf of bread, several packets of oatmeal, a box of mashed potatoes, and several other little things. She can no longer reach my main food source however she knocked stuff off the counter this recent escape (but didn't climb up there, or rather wasn't able to this time, because I moved the stool).

I trust her not to screw with my stuff because I know she knows better but she has this obsession with food that is downright neurotic. It makes her super easy to teach things too but makes her impulse control around food just awful (she will nab food right out of your hand, she is getting better at not doing so but it is taking forever). She hasn't destroyed anything for the sake of destrucrion (besides dog toys and boxes that I give her to shred) for months now, it is basically a food hunt for her.

I think making her exhausted would help more so she sleeps the whole time. She's getting pretty good mental stimulation but physical probably should be stepped up a notch as I have been gentle with her because of how young she is and how her body is still growing. (I have been checking on getting her new puzzles as there are some really cool ones coming out and I think she'll love them). 

If you mean punishment by using fear tactics (positive punishment), I avoid those as I much prefer using negative punishment. It's been going  really well with her (just not on the food front). I do want to electrify areas where she steals food though but that is more out of frustration than a serious thought, lol. 

12 hours ago, Misomie said:

The one she broke was one of those small ones. She straight up pulled it until the metal bent. I do plan on buying several, they are going to be rated for strong forces and be the twisty kind though (gunna buy five or so).

2 bullsnaps

No dogs gonna be able to get through a bullsnap, there's a reason theyre most popular on chainspots

Bullsnap-medium.jpg

I used some nic snaps and she was able to knock a top corner one loose and squeeze out. 

Tonight she skinned part of her nose trying to escape and pulled a cord into her cag to eat. A few days ago she cut the skin above her eye.

However, I found out how to lock her in her old cage. I grabbed the door from the cage before and stuck part of it in the spot where the broken door no longer locks into place. I then clipped the old door to the bent door using two clips. It resulted in a perfect shut that can't be forced open~

Wish I tried this from the get go. ._.