Hi! We're the Fine Brothers, and We Want to Fuck Your YouTube Career!

RileytheNerdQueen

React World  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad?

• Good!
    • Bad!
    • I don't know.

If you guys have been staying out of the YouTube loop, then I suggest you buckle yourselves in.  This is going to be a bumpy ride!  Just recently, the Fine Brothers, a famous YouTube channel made a video about their newest concept: "React World."  For those of you who aren't familiar with their channel, here's a run down of what they do:

1. Gather random indeviduals to their office.
  2. Record their reactions to random videos.
  3. Profit.

So, they proposed "React World" on YouTube just the other day, and everyone is going absolutely nuts over it.  For a while, I was wondering why.  Today, I found out.  As it turns out, the Fine Brothers are trying to screw over other reactor YouTubers (ie; EtikaWorldNetwork, Chadtronic, and RashadTheReactor.  They're litterally trying to copyright reaction videos on the site.  To which I say:  Benny, Raffi, you guys are some greedy, ignorant sons of bitches.  I get that you want other people to participate in your company, but as they say:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."   You may have good intentions, but sometimes, that isn't enough.

That's enough from me.  What do you guys think?  Do you see "React World" as a good thing, or a bad thing?

I just hate reactions videos in general, the whole trend is garbage. The only ones I actually kinda like are H3H3 and Tyrone Magnus. H3H3 for their skits based off the vids and actually having some comedy behind the reactions.Tyrone Magnus since in a few of his more serious vids he's watched, he does give something interesting talk about it: Plus, its not the only thing he does on his channel...although it is a majority...bleh -_-

I'm currently watching this Fine Bros announcement vid and this....just...REEKS! I'm...I'm fucking baffled. Why?! GAH! This is stupid...

This is content creation now guys. Sitting down, watching a vid (THAT SOMEONE ELSE FUCKING MADE), then spewing commentary to give insight into it, when most of the time you're just staring at the screen, speaking over the vid or saying absolutely nothing.

I love how they act like their videos will have such a big impact on the future. Such hubris. Sure, some of their vids touch on big world happenings, but the reactions of the people I see on their "shows" (can't believe they call it that) are no different than the reactions of people who I actually interact and converse with. 

I just dont get it...I dont even think I WANT to get it.

• Like 1

I don't see the issue with it, they're not literally copyrighting the concept of reaction videos or stopping anyone else from making their own.  They're just licensing out their name if anyone wants to use it as a signal boost on their videos, as Fine Bros is one of the most popular reaction channels.  I think it's mutually beneficial.

That said, I'm not too interested in reaction videos either, so I don't really care one way or the other.

4 minutes ago, Chrysocyon said:

I don't see the issue with it, they're not literally copyrighting the concept of reaction videos or stopping anyone else from making their own.  They're just licensing out their name if anyone wants to use it as a signal boost on their videos, as Fine Bros is one of the most popular reaction channels.  I think it's mutually beneficial.

That said, I'm not too interested in reaction videos either, so I don't really care one way or the other.

Oh, well that sounds a whole lot better than the spin OP put on it.

• Like 1

Just now, MuttButt said:

It seems like it's online news articles that are putting the spin on it, I'm just going by what the Fine Brothers themselves have said.  I guess it could still be bad for any new channels that don't license as it might be harder to get noticed when competing with such a prolific channel now, or something like that.

What a wacky coincidence, I literally just watched a video about this. Wowzers.

36 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

There actually isn't any spin. When you watch their initial announcement video, they explicitly say that they want users to help them take down people who are "ripping off" their highly original, not-at-all vague "format".

This is literally just a scheme to siphon ad money from anyone who dares make some kind of retarded 'reaction video' without their explicit permission while simultaneously monopolizing it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

What a wacky coincidence, I literally just watched a video about this. Wowzers.

There actually isn't any spin. When you watch their initial announcement video, they explicitly say that they want users to help them take down people who are "ripping off" their highly original, not-at-all vague "format".

This is literally just a scheme to siphon ad money from anyone who dares make some kind of retarded 'reaction video' without their explicit permission while simultaneously monopolizing it.

It does sound like they are trying to build a monopoly on reaction videos

5 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Some people have a monumental talent for making The Internet dislike them.

I almost wish I had that kind of talent.

Just make a bunch of horrifically exploitative youtube videos where you shamelessly profit off school shootings. That'll do the trick.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

Normally I'm the contrary voice on this forum, and while I'm not concerned about them trying to sell what could be best summed up as 'React Franchising' under their branding to let many people get under their profitable umbrella... The whole trademarking 'react' doesn't leave happy, though it seems that trademark has yet to be approved.

I think everyone is sort of freaking out about nothing.

As stated above, from listening to the video and doing some digging of my own, it appears they aren't trying to put a monopoly on this one thing. They're simply providing a licensing opportunity for other people who would like to be a part of what they are doing. With the licensing comes all the knick-knacks to take yourself to their level, which will help get you more viewers and whatnot. Both parties profit because they get a cut of profit from your video, but you also get access to their tools as well as are put in touch with a huge viewerbase. They can't really copyright something that is so vague, and if they did and ended up going to court over copyright infringement, I imagine it'd be one hell of a sticky battle.

Like one of the articles said, stuff is moving over to the internet more and more, which means branding is going to start blossoming here. In an effort to stay unique and not be copied, you need to protect what you've done.

9 hours ago, RileytheNerdQueen said:

If you guys have been staying out of the YouTube loop, then I suggest you buckle yourselves in.  This is going to be a bumpy ride!  Just recently, the Fine Brothers, a famous YouTube channel made a video about their newest concept: "React World."  For those of you who aren't familiar with their channel, here's a run down of what they do:

3. Profit.

So, they proposed "React World" on YouTube just the other day, and everyone is going absolutely nuts over it.  For a while, I was wondering why.  Today, I found out.  As it turns out, the Fine Brothers are trying to screw over other reactor YouTubers (ie; EtikaWorldNetwork, Chadtronic, and RashadTheReactor.  They're litterally trying to copyright reaction videos on the site.  To which I say:  Benny, Raffi, you guys are some greedy, ignorant sons of bitches.  I get that you want other people to participate in your company, but as they say:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."   You may have good intentions, but sometimes, that isn't enough.

That's enough from me.  What do you guys think?  Do you see "React World" as a good thing, or a bad thing?

3. Profit.

This is amazing, especially the spelling.  

Edited by Yarra

I honestly think people are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I also don't see the point in throwing a huge fit over it but that's beside the point. anyway, it sounds more like they want to license the actual style they make their videos in or the name "________s React to _________". which is something people do all the time. like technically you can make a drunk cooking video but you can't call it "My Drunk Kitchen" because that's a licensed thing.

as far as them taking down user content in an attempt to get rid of competition, I'm always skeptical it's the content creator because that would take forever. so I'm more convinced it's individual users

17 hours ago, RileytheNerdQueen said:

I think Sony actually tried to copyright Let's Plays.

That kind of thing is fucking stupid on the part of a video game company like Sony, Nintendo, etc. Let's Play videos, regardless if you like them or not, show off the game to hundreds of thousands of potential customers, and it's done legally. Developers will give big LP channels early access to the games, and with the big companies like Nintendo or Sony, if you have someone will MILLIONS of followers playing your game, that's a MASSIVE instance of free advertising.

Let's Play channels let you see the game and decide if you want to invest in it without:

1. Buying it blind like BACK IN THE GOOD OL' DAYS

2. Renting it

3. Pirating it

One would think companies would be all over this shit. There's games we have that we've bought after watching a Let's Play (Shovel Knight, most recently), and it was worth it because we already seen how the game is, and now want to experience them ourselves.

11 hours ago, 6tails said:

Just buy some cheap-ass pharmaceutical and jack the price per pill up to more than what my titanium femur cost.

Whaaa? You mean I can charge $750 for a pill that costs .60 cents per pill?

P R O F I T

18 hours ago, Maug said:

It sound's more like a licensing deal for other Youtubers to join the React brand . The Fine Bros would probably know better then to attempt to copyright reaction videos, as copyright law states you cannot copyright concepts, ever.

They could be Daddy Derek in disguise.

8 minutes ago, 6tails said:

We already had a show where we watched people's reactions to videos. The people reacting even gave the best video of the show $10K.

It was called America's Funniest Home Videos.

Not an original bone in the YouTube generation.

Lol. that is so true.

2 hours ago, willow said:

I honestly think people are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I also don't see the point in throwing a huge fit over it but that's beside the point. anyway, it sounds more like they want to license the actual style they make their videos in or the name "________s React to _________". which is something people do all the time. like technically you can make a drunk cooking video but you can't call it "My Drunk Kitchen" because that's a licensed thing.

as far as them taking down user content in an attempt to get rid of competition, I'm always skeptical it's the content creator because that would take forever. so I'm more convinced it's individual users

Obviously they're not doing it themselves, after all they have national tragedies and memes to react to.

The problem is that they're actively encouraging others to do their dirty work for them with only the vaguest of directions. They didn't say "anything stealing our name" or anything, simply anyone "ripping off our format" which is literally just someone watching something and reacting to it. It's purposely worded in a way to allow their fans to help cull the competition, while absolving themselves of any wrong doing since they're a couple of weaselly cunts.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

23 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

Taking money from reaction channels...

At least they're not taking money from hard working people.

The best reaction videos are those where grandchildren trick their grandmothers into watching two girls one cup.  

4 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I have a confession.

Those awful "Elders react to ____" videos are a guilty pleasure. Mostly because they're actually funny.

They totally are but Two Girls One Cup really goes over the limit.  I'm laughing right now just from the thought of it. My grandmother would have had a heart attack.  

Edited by Yarra

1 minute ago, Yarra said:

They really are but Two Girls One Cup really goes over the limit.  I'm laughing right now just from the thought of it. My grandmother would have had a heart attack.  

I remember showing my mom it years ago before she decided to...anyways it was pretty goddamn funny.

Of course, I'm an asshole.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

The only react videos beside them I've seen is people sitting there just watching.

They do have a clear formula, mainly in how they divide the show into two parts and of course the titles. So more power to them for liscensing that.

They don't even post the whole video in theirs so that they don't steal the content from the creator, rather teasing it.