You Filthy Fucking Furry, The Hygiene Poll

97 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you take a shower?

• At least twice a day
    • Everyday
    • Once every two days
    • Thrice a week
    • Less than three times a week
  2. 2. How often do you brush your teeth?

• Thrice a day
    • Twice a day
    • Once a day
    • I brush them irregularly. Some days I don't brush them at all
  3. 3. How often do you clean up your room/living space (dust, pass the vacuum cleaner, make the bed, remove the trash, tidy shit up etc.)?

• More than once a week
    • Once a week
    • Once every two weeks
    • Once every three weeks
    • Once a month
    • I clean it irregularly, mostly when I notice it's getting a little too messy
    • I clean it rarely, even when it's noticeably dirty. Too lazy

So, according to general belief furries have bad hygiene. With this poll we're gonna find out how much truth there is to that statement. If you feel like participating, that is. The questions are only three. It's not possible to put more so the poll will be a bit limited. Voters' names will be hidden.

I speak for myself when I say taking a shower daily makes my skin super dry, my hair brittzle and frizzy, and makes my acne act up if I keep messing with the healthy oils in my skin. 

I wash my hair with sulfate free curly hair conditioner and no-poo, and finger-brish it out every day with a little bit of curl enhancer and water at the ends. Showers tend to be once every other day if I'm home doing nothing, but obviously I will shower right after doing strenuous stuff ( ;u )

I try to shower every day unless I'm not going anywhere and don't feel like it. don't get me wrong I still feel gross for it but I don't see the point in putting on clean clothes if I'm not going anywhere.

and my room isn't really dirty so much as it is messy and cluttered

So, I've got a question. Related to showering, because loads of people here seem to know better than me.

So, my hair is really short. It never grows, and I haven't needed a haircut in about 6 years. I'm only 17. I shampoo my hair at least once a day in a hot shower ( The shampoo I use is supposed to 'reinforce' hair, and contains something-sulphate ), but it's normally twice because on any given day I almost always go running or swimming.

Is there any truth in the whole thing about how not shampooing daily and having cold showers is supposed to do your hair good? Because I could do with some pointers. As anyone who has seen me on the mugshot thread might know.

Also, what else is good for hair growth?

3 hours ago, Lemon said:

I speak for myself when I say taking a shower daily makes my skin super dry, my hair brittzle and frizzy, and makes my acne act up if I keep messing with the healthy oils in my skin. 

I wash my hair with sulfate free curly hair conditioner and no-poo, and finger-brish it out every day with a little bit of curl enhancer and water at the ends. Showers tend to be once every other day if I'm home doing nothing, but obviously I will shower right after doing strenuous stuff ( ;u )

I'm right there with you on this one. I generally shower every other day but lately I've been working a lot so basically every day. I only use Dr. Bronners soap and usually just rinse my hair out with hot water. My hair has gotten healthier since going the no-poo route. I also do a Kombucha soak every now and then, really helps with tangles.

But as far as the other stuff, I gotta brush my teeth every day at least once and I pick up the house here and there throughout the week rather than letting it pile up so I have to devote a whole day cleaning.

My showering habit was once per two days. But being now in contact with all sorts of petroleum-based products, diesel fuel, grease, oil, brake cleaner, name it, I pretty much have to shower daily.

Diesel fuel is the worst. Very easy to spill a ton on yourself, and the odour remains very strong even when it's evaporated.

I shower every night before bed. Nothing comfier than cuddling up under the blankets after a nice hot rinse with clean skin. I brush my teeth twice daily, when I wake up and when I go to bed. I straighten my room out a little here and here during the week, but every Saturday I do a full room cleaning and sweep/mop my floors and do all my laundry. Only takes about an hour to clean because I'm not a messy person, but doing laundry takes all day because I wash all my blankets and sheets weekly.

Edit: On the topic of showering, I just want to say that I really like Contact Caffeine's soaps and they're the only brand I use. My favorite is Wild Coyote, makes me feel like a tumbleweed!

Edited by malibu

So for the room cleaning one. We usually clean it at least once a month. We don't really make the bed since we both sleep at different times, it just wouldn't make sense to make the bed for an hour. We also don't really take a lot to in there that needs to be cleaned. We take out the pieces of rubbish and dirty plates when we are done with them. I guess the only thing we tend to keep until the room is cleaned is the bottles for water.

On 1/31/2016 at 2:44 PM, DrDingo said:

So, I've got a question. Related to showering, because loads of people here seem to know better than me.

So, my hair is really short. It never grows, and I haven't needed a haircut in about 6 years. I'm only 17. I shampoo my hair at least once a day in a hot shower ( The shampoo I use is supposed to 'reinforce' hair, and contains something-sulphate ), but it's normally twice because on any given day I almost always go running or swimming.

Is there any truth in the whole thing about how not shampooing daily and having cold showers is supposed to do your hair good? Because I could do with some pointers. As anyone who has seen me on the mugshot thread might know.

Also, what else is good for hair growth?

I think the thing about not shampooing daily depends on how oily your hair is? Cause natural oils are great and all and really help your hair stay healthy, and shampooing (without conditioning) strips those oils and can leave your hair dry and brittle. But if your hair is super oily, then I don't see an issue with shampooing, although I always follow up with conditioner. As for cold showers, I've heard that and I'm not sure if it's true or not. Besides, I don't like the cold and slightly nicer hair isn't enough to convince me to brave it :P 

--------------------------------

As for personal hygiene, I generally shower once every three days, but I'll take a bath in between, or at least run a wet washcloth across my skin. I work as a sever, so I hate when I shower and smell/look all nice then dive into three days of constant work with my hair pulled back. I always wash my face cause of the oils/grease floating around in the restaurant. When I shower, I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner formulated for curly hair, and I always scrub down with African Black Soap. I also use the Neutrogena Acne Stress Control face scrub when I shower, mainly to combat those monthly raging hormones.

Since you have curly hair, what do you use? My hair is really thick and curly and comes down to my chest, although it was done to the small of my back when I got it cut to my chin about 6 months ago. It looks nice when I shower and part it over (I use Tresemme curling mouse and Garneir Fructis leave-in conditioner), and it looks nice when I remember to put it in a scrunchie on top of my head when I sleep, but otherwise it's blah. I have to pull it back for work and I put it in a low ponytail to keep my hair from swishing in food. It straightens out all my hair but the ends and makes it flat with no volume. Is there a way to combat this besides re-wetting it every morning/night? Also, is nopoo good? I've thought about it, thought about switching my hair-care regime entirely, but my hair is fussy and unruly as per curly hair >.>

• Like 1

Daily shower. At least once a day for brushing, twice typically. And I clean when stuff gets cluttered/messy. 

I call it organized chaos sometimes. Since I really just straighten up a mess to be less messy looking.

I take long hot showers so maybe thats a bad thing...I dont know

20 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

I think the thing about not shampooing daily depends on how oily your hair is? Cause natural oils are great and all and really help your hair stay healthy, and shampooing (without conditioning) strips those oils and can leave your hair dry and brittle. But if your hair is super oily, then I don't see an issue with shampooing, although I always follow up with conditioner.

It gets confusing tho because sometimes super oily hair is caused by shampooing.... Your scalp freaks out at the lack of oil and shifts production into overdrive. It's weird. 

I personally only shampoo every 3 days or so. Hair definitely seems healthier but it's easier to quickly look like shit if you're not careful. 

I shower twice a day usually. Sometimes once, but mostly twice. I wash my hair once every two days though. It's curly, and if I wash it too frequently, it'll just be even more of a mess than it is now.

I keep my desk and living spaces as clean as possible at all times

I brush my teeth once a day, but I use mouthwash in the morning usually

I shower at least 3 times a day. When I wake up, in the afternoon and before bed. I wash my hair every shower and don't really care how it ruins my hair, it makes me feel clean.

As for brushing my teeth, I normally brush them in the shower. So whenever I have a shower.

My living spaces though... I consider an organized mess. It's messy but not dirty. Except maybe the kitchen... *looks at endless piles of dishes*

I generally take a shower and brush when I wake up in the morning, before I head to school.

I'll also shower if I get really sweaty and gross, even if I've already showered that day.

I brush before I go to bed too... usually.

Really though, if I don't shower daily, I end up an itchy, oily mess, and that's not cute.

My grooming and self-care routine is pretty solid. A shower every other day most of the time, sometimes once each day (I'll also take one at the end of a day where I'll have my 'hawk up, because hairspray is nasty). Brush teeth twice a day, and I always make sure to tidy my workspace at least once or twice a week, and I never procrastinate taking out trash or recycles. 

4 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Beeswax or whipped egg whites work wonders for this. I prefer beeswax from fresh honeycomb, leaves your hair smelling of honey, lasts for a long time, too, if you are dedicated to a high-flyer. Just heat it up with a hair dryer, comb/re-distribute, re-style, let cool and set. Great stuff.

I've actually used egg whites before, not my cuppa and doesn't take well to my hair. Of all the things I've ever used, volumizing hairspray remains the best for my current length and height, I just always make sure to wash it the same day.

I brush my teeth once a day at least, but the only thing I've noticed recently that makes them any less yellow is drinking less tea than I used to. Now I just need the orthodontic work and they'll be good.

As for room tidying, I tend to let the feeling of having a tidied room go to my head for far too long. I tidy it and revel in how much space I've got and how organised everything is, and don't really notice it decline gradually back into a mess. But it gets to a point when I make a point to tidy it when I get home.

Showering is usually every other day. If I did it more often it'd probably fuck my hair up even more than it's already fucked up. Sometimes I'll go an extra day if it means I'll end up showering on a more convenient day though.

I shower every other day during the winter and every day during the spring/summer. It really depends on what I've been doing that day though.

I brush my teeth twice a day. Doing otherwise seems super fucking gross. I floss and use mouth wash too.

I don't clean my room very often, but I'm not in it all that often. I mean, it's tidy but rarely vacuumed. Doesn't help that the closest outlet for vacuuming shorts out every time I plug something heavy duty in :P

Taking a shower every two days because every day isn't that healthy for the skin and I don't have the time for it. Brushing teeth once a day, because I'm a lazy asshole. Tidy up my room whenever I feel like it.

26 minutes ago, Hewge said:

There's more to hygiene than these 3 basic things ! !

I'm gonna hygiene you till you bleed >:)

On 1/31/2016 at 11:14 AM, Luka said:

I'm kind of a germaphobe, so you can imagine.

My kind!

I used to shower every other day (or third day if I was lazy or simply had nothing else to wear, I HATE putting the same clothes on after a shower), but since I started exercising, it's a daily thing for me now. I never use anything in my hair, though. Honestly, I don't really NEED it, running hot water through my hair does a good enough job and it looks fine. And I never let it get long enough to ever be an issue.

I used to brush twice a day, but I ran out of toothpaste. Oops. So that's never, right now, until I remember to buy some.

And my room is always half tidy half messy, but always clean.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2016 at 10:00 AM, SkyboundTerror said:

Even if I showered frenetically, cleaned my room every hour, and brushed my teeth five times a day, I'd still feel filthy because I'd still be part of this fandom.

Shit, son, I got a papercut from that EDGE!