Working on the Moderator Application, what you should think about when applying.

Zeke

We do not have a TBA when the Applications will be released, but we will announce it soon. I am working on the application form and if you are interested in applying, think about:

Any history in modding groups (This does apply to groups on steam, online guilds/groups that you've moderated, other forums, etc)

How long you've been in the community (Even Old FAF counts)

Places you'd like to mod (The Black hole is where all discussion goes to due, so it is sort of off limits)

Monderation approach.

And any other additional information you'd like to tag on.

We will not hold any prior history of infractions against you and ask that you be 18 years or older when applying. (Just because we do have some NSFW junk threads here and whatnot).

We'll post another thread when we are ready, some instructions, and a link to the form. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GamingGal said:

Going to keep an eye on this. I might not be the most visible person here, but I might toss in a form for consideration. Can't hurt you know?

Also, this happened much quicker than I was expecting.

What can I say? I'm overzealous. 

10 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

@Zeke If you and Ley/Lemon still want my help I'll happily come along. Same as I said to Carenath, I'm mostly around in evenings and late hours unless it's one of my days off. Otherwise this is honestly getting a bit drawn out, I feel. If you wish, you know how to reach me.

A toast to this worrying future.

56b0108204493_i41pavatar_fullsize_distr.

7 minutes ago, Barnectomy said:

We all know it's going to be the popular users that get the position

I wouldn't count on that. If this goes how I'm hoping it does, the exact people who are mods won't be up for vote. It'll be up to Zeke/Lemon to look over the applications and choose the ones they feel would be a best fit. In this instance the popular vote would be more "I want my friend in there!" than "This person would benefit the community."

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

I wouldn't count on that. If this goes how I'm hoping it does, the exact people who are mods won't be up for vote. It'll be up to Zeke/Lemon to look over the applications and choose the ones they feel would be a best fit. In this instance the popular vote would be more "I want my friend in there!" than "This person would benefit the community."

As it should be. 

Consistency seems to be an issue right now, so the only thing I personally care about is consistency among the mods. I don't know the reasoning for it, but whatever the reasoning is it needs to be fixed. Whoever gets chosen needs to be able to enforce the rules evenly and the existing mods need to do so as well. I can't think of anyone to nominate honestly that I know for 100% sure would do so because I don't know any of you that well, but I very much hope this will be taken into consideration and more of an effort made on everyone's part to be consistent.

I'd offer my services, but 1) I'm not sure anyone would listen to my suggestions because I'm not known enough around here, despite the sad and excessive amount of exp I have; 2) I don't really have the energy to deal with the excessive whining around here caused by rules getting enforced ever, like it's some sort of oddity that rules and punishment for breaking said rules exists. (I have a hunch this is why rules are enforced very sporadically and only in select cases atm - less drama if you don't have to tell someone they're doing wrong - but I may be wrong. If this is the case, that's the wrong view to have because the bads quickly learn they can push around anyone with power.) I have zero tolerance for the insane shit the mods here put up with, so I don't think this is a good place for me to help out.

12 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I nominate @GarthTheWereWolf

He's seems to be a very well balanced/reasonable guy

Also @Sarcastic Coffeecup and @Saxon

6 hours ago, MarkOfBane said:

Another vote here for both @GarthTheWereWolf and @Sarcastic Coffeecup.

And of course, @Troj, if she is still around.

I am surprised to wake up to this and I do feel honoured you guys would think I'd make for a good mod!

12 minutes ago, Sutekh_the_Steak said:

What's the typical workload for a mod? Is it large? I might apply once I turn 18 later this year but I'm trying to go to university in September, so if I get accepted to uni and as a mod I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to strike a balance between uni work and modwork.

Depends on which subforum you choose. I'm moderating a whole forum alone but there's not much off topic activity there for example. It's not a fulltime job that's for sure x3

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 6tails said:

I'm not so sure about having moderators moderate specific subforums, excepting perhaps the ones where money is involved. Everyone else should be given opportunity to pull equal load. Some subforums simply don't get the activity of other subforums. It'd end up feeling like "Okay, you're stationed in Hawaii. You're stationed in Japan. And you... you're stationed in Antarctica."

Ideally every mod will eventually have equal access, but limiting their field until they've shown themselves capable is a better idea than giving some noob the keys to the city straight away.

It would only effect their editing power anyway, I'm pretty sure the infraction system will work for them site wide unless this software is that different from vbulletin. .

38 minutes ago, 6tails said:

I'm not so sure about having moderators moderate specific subforums, excepting perhaps the ones where money is involved. Everyone else should be given opportunity to pull equal load. Some subforums simply don't get the activity of other subforums. It'd end up feeling like "Okay, you're stationed in Hawaii. You're stationed in Japan. And you... you're stationed in Antarctica."

It doesn't mean that they are locked into that area, but it does help with patrolling certain subforums  to lighten the load as well a general expertise. Like an artist who wants to keep an eye on the Black market and art forums more than rants and raves, or a person wants to keep an eye on the den more often to cut down on the "Furry drama", etc. It wouldn't be like FAF where a person was locked to modding certain areas and couldn't handle reports from R&R because that mod was asleep or on their way home from work and stuck in tunnel traffic. 

Yeah, the way mod stuff is working RN is that I'm handling approving black market posts. I moderate the whole place along with zeke, but thats a thing I particularly pay more attention to. Ya feel?

There's a skype group that we bounce our opinons on first before we do a thing. 

3 hours ago, 6tails said:

I think some subforums need the extra moderation, though. Rants/Raves definitely does as well as Forum Games (just to keep shitposting down I would assume). Other ones like Three Frags Left wouldn't need as much, but I definitely see a need for certain areas. Perhaps instead of being assigned a specific area, it could be listed as your "specialty" area? That meaning everyone would moderate the whole forum, but if you have a specialty in Rants/Raves you would be the first mod to go to with issues there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

I think some subforums need the extra moderation, though. Rants/Raves definitely does as well as Forum Games (just to keep shitposting down I would assume). Other ones like Three Frags Left wouldn't need as much, but I definitely see a need for certain areas. Perhaps instead of being assigned a specific area, it could be listed as your "specialty" area? That meaning everyone would moderate the whole forum, but if you have a specialty in Rants/Raves you would be the first mod to go to with issues there.

I can dig this, it's much better than giving each moderator mod powers for just one specific subforum, since all the mods can't be on 100% of the time anyways.

On 2/1/2016 at 0:57 PM, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I nominate @GarthTheWereWolf

He's seems to be a very well balanced/reasonable guy

Also @Sarcastic Coffeecup and @Saxon

20 hours ago, MarkOfBane said:

Another vote here for both @GarthTheWereWolf and @Sarcastic Coffeecup.

And of course, @Troj, if she is still around.

D'Aww, thats nice of you guys to nominate me. I'm flattered. <; I don't know that my current work schedule would allow something like that, but I'll think about it.

13 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

If memory serves me right, Garth already had a mod position.

And Troj is a girl.

Nope, never been mod before. Thank goodness.