Has anyone here commissioned Don't Hug Cacti before? I am on the fence about commissioning them. They have really cute suits, but they are pretty expensive (last time I was quoted at $3700 for my fursona, and he is not even that intricate of a character). This is not to say they aren't worth it, and if I decide to go with them I can find a way to afford it. Has anyone here commissioned them, and what has been your opinion? I have also heard mixed reviews about them from 2012-2013 commissioners, but I have also heard lots of positive things too.

Alternatively, I am open to other suggestions. Is there anyone who recommends a fursuit makers who can do a really nice job with a toony ferret? Money is not as much of an issue for me as quality is, and I want to make sure I am paying for a high quality, nice suit that I can use for a really long time. I have been considering Mischief Makers as well, but they do not open for commissions until July.

Art by Neon Slushie, Scribbles the Ferret belongs to me.

scribbles.png

Edited by Scribbles the Ferret

To be honest, I steer away from DHC simply because I find a lot of their suits to look the same, especially in the face. Same expression, same shape. That and their pricing is insane. I've seen people who do awesome fursuits charge half that price O.o

That being said, I don't have a list of fursuit makers that would be good at a toony ferret with dropped crotch, but I know I've seen some around that could be good for you. I'll do some searching and come back :>

$3700 seems a little steep for a suit. granted they do some pretty high quality work but like you already said, your character's too simple for that price.

PhoenixWolf suits does some pretty good work and they may be about $1000 cheaper: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/phoenixwolfsuits

What's it worth to you? I might consider DHC if they offered partials. When people commission DHC, they're paying for that particular style. There are lots of lesser-known fursuit makers on FA who can offer similar quality for less, but they may take a few more keystrokes to find.

Alternately, you could learn to make your own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Most suit makers I've looked at tend to be about $3000. Some even had machine washable heads. http://www.jillcostumes.com/prices/

the really high quality ones are around $3000 yeah, but for as simple as OP's character is I think asking for $3700 is pushing it. maybe if it had a bunch of colors or complicated markings or it has a lot of extra features like glowy eyes or something I could see it but that's just me.

I can't even justify spending $10 for food most of the time let alone a $2000+ dog costume :v

On February 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Xaende said:

What's it worth to you? I might consider DHC if they offered partials. When people commission DHC, they're paying for that particular style. There are lots of lesser-known fursuit makers on FA who can offer similar quality for less, but they may take a few more keystrokes to find.

Not so much style but for the name. Kind of like how Scribblefox suits being the "Air Jordans" of the furry world. 

I can second going with lesser-established makers only if said maker has a gallery of suits. You don't want to throw money at a person if they do not have a portfolio yet. 

Yeah, branding can be a big deal. A friend of mine (well, maybe more of an internet acquaintance I suppose) is getting into fursuit making, and is working on her brand. Coming up with a name and everything. I wouldn't ask her to do somebody else's style though. That would seem a little rude to me.

Edited by Xaende