Rant: Smaller pieces ≠ more chicken!

Käpt'n

I feel cheated right now.
As I went to buy groceries after work today I wanted to get a frozen pizza because I was feeling lazy.
I saw a chicken pizza on sale, which also happens to be pretty much the only kind of frozen pizza I can eat because it doesn't taste like sawdust mixed with tomato sauce... It's not great but it is kind of alright.
Anyway, I also noticed that it says on the box that it now comes with more chicken! "Brilliant!" I thought to myself, I always thought that they were being a little cheap with the chicken pieces on that pizza.
But at home I noticed that it doesn't actually have more chicken on it, the pieces are just half the size... In fact, I am pretty sure that there was less chicken on it than last time!

I'm getting the feeling that there are no brands left that you can trust... Everyone is lying to you to get your money .__. I know, "D'UH!" It just hurts to be reminded of this every single day.

• Like 2

"Are you tired of your food not containing as much food as you want?

INTRODUCING FOOD 2.0, THE REVOLUTIONARY FOOD* THAT WILL REPLACE YOUR FOOD!"

*Food2.0 may not contain more food than regular food, is not intended to wholly replace regular food, and should not be eaten like regular food. Edibility, color, smell, and taste vary naturally with Food 2.0 and any deviance or mutation should be expected by you, the consumer.

Edited by AlexInsane
  • Like 1

There's these frozen pizzas in the grocery store on campus. The box has a description of the pizza, and part of the box is cut out so you can see the pizza toppings. Yeah, that BBQ chicken pizza looked loaded! So I bought it and went home to have a lovely tasty dinner. I opened the box to find that it was almost bare everywhere except the exposed part.

>.<

1 hour ago, Käpt'n said:

Yeah it really sucks what they can get away with.

On the other hand we should be grateful that they do this, they are teaching us not to get our hopes up. Because life sucks and then you die .__.

Imagine if they DID add more, and raised their prices accordingly. The amount of backlash would be astonishing.

"I AIN'T PAYIN TEN DOLLA FOR NO PIZZA, DAFUQ DO I LOOK LIKE, DADDY WARBUCKS"

"They should have told us they were planning to raise prices. I just don't think their product is worth as much as they're wanting."

"Who said we wanted more toppings? I've always found the amount we had to be adequate. If I found out who demanded this, I'd kick em."

The only time I've found that "more" isn't a lie is when more total content is added, not just a portion. For instance, pizza rolls currently have an added 8 rolls in the usual 40ct bag (pepperoni only that I've seen). Pretty straightforward and pretty impossible for companies to get away with lies that way, so it's much more reliable. "You claim there's 48 in the bag, but in the many bags we bought to test there were only between 37-39, which is less than the original 40. What gives?"

But yeah, I try to be careful about not getting sucked in by marketing techniques. What does suck is when they take a perfectly good product and change it and then market it as "better tasting" when it's not. Doritos is one that I'm pretty mad about still. Both the nacho cheese and the taco flavors have been destroyed. Taco especially is completely different now that it used to be. Nacho is still pretty close at least to where most people who liked the original flavor still liked them after the change, but not close enough for my tastes.

2 hours ago, Kinare said:

The only time I've found that "more" isn't a lie is when more total content is added, not just a portion. For instance, pizza rolls currently have an added 8 rolls in the usual 40ct bag (pepperoni only that I've seen). Pretty straightforward and pretty impossible for companies to get away with lies that way, so it's much more reliable. "You claim there's 48 in the bag, but in the many bags we bought to test there were only between 37-39, which is less than the original 40. What gives?"

But yeah, I try to be careful about not getting sucked in by marketing techniques. What does suck is when they take a perfectly good product and change it and then market it as "better tasting" when it's not. Doritos is one that I'm pretty mad about still. Both the nacho cheese and the taco flavors have been destroyed. Taco especially is completely different now that it used to be. Nacho is still pretty close at least to where most people who liked the original flavor still liked them after the change, but not close enough for my tastes.

Has a lot to do with your brain being addicted to the previous flavors of Doritos. No seriously, look up the science on how Doritos manipulates the brains of its consumers.

Edited by Clove Darkwave

2 minutes ago, willow said:

there used to be a huge controversy a few years ago regarding Subway's $5 footlongs only being 10-11 inches when they cooked. like people were legitimately mad over it because it was "false advertising"

Cause, you know, things don't get smaller from the heat sucking away moisture >.> Stupid idiots.

It's false advertising that relies on people automatically believing it without question. Instead of doing what you're doing, it relies on people saying "oh, it looks a little less, but maybe I remember it wrong" and going about their day.

Speaking about chicken, I passed a Burger King today and they're selling 10pc nuggets for $1.40 or some shit. My stomach literally churns at the thought of what's in those nuggets to make them so damn cheap ;-;

1 minute ago, GamingGal said:

Cause, you know, things don't get smaller from the heat sucking away moisture >.> Stupid idiots.

It's false advertising that relies on people automatically believing it without question. Instead of doing what you're doing, it relies on people saying "oh, it looks a little less, but maybe I remember it wrong" and going about their day.

Speaking about chicken, I passed a Burger King today and they're selling 10pc nuggets for $1.40 or some shit. My stomach literally churns at the thought of what's in those nuggets to make them so damn cheap ;-;

it's mostly additives/preservatives

I actually like BK's new nuggets. they taste more like chicken than the one's McDonald's has at least

12 minutes ago, willow said:

it's mostly additives/preservatives

I actually like BK's new nuggets. they taste more like chicken than the one's McDonald's has at least

That wouldn't surprise me. And I wouldn't know since I haven't eaten meat in 10yrs. I know food is a lot cheaper than they sell it to you, but at some point it gets very questionable. But anything is better than McDonalds. Their $2 menu is sketchy as hell to me.

Edited by GamingGal

7 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

I feel cheated right now.
As I went to buy groceries after work today I wanted to get a frozen pizza because I was feeling lazy.
I saw a chicken pizza on sale, which also happens to be pretty much the only kind of frozen pizza I can eat because it doesn't taste like sawdust mixed with tomato sauce... It's not great but it is kind of alright.
Anyway, I also noticed that it says on the box that it now comes with more chicken! "Brilliant!" I thought to myself, I always thought that they were being a little cheap with the chicken pieces on that pizza.
But at home I noticed that it doesn't actually have more chicken on it, the pieces are just half the size... In fact, I am pretty sure that there was less chicken on it than last time!

I paid $1 to get a bag of chips for 99 cents.

They made me pay the sales tax.

Fucking thieves.

Edited by TheGreatFanatic

Yesterday I bought some Wal-Mart brand french toast sticks cuz that's all they had. I've had store brand ones before and generally speaking they've all been pretty nice sized and on the box they looked good... but these were just the tiniest little things. So much disappointment. v.v

Edited by Kinare

when buying shite frozen pizza, there really is no good option(also chicken pizza sounds quite wtf, who puts chicken on pizza?). The best trick to not get bamboozled by the cover art and advertising schlock is to simply look at net weight. many people are fooled by the colors, but the numbers dont lie. I have found up to a half a pound difference in weight in objects that are priced the same, by the same brand even. if you want more, make sure it weighs more.

• Like 3

More doesn't always mean better, though. My favorite frozen pizza actually has a not so good crust, so I waste quite a bit of it, even though there's technically more to it than my 2nd favorite, which has a thin crust and tastes pretty ok (less ok since htey changed the recipe, rawr).

Personally, I only ever buy frozen pizzas anymore when they're super cheap. For the same price (or cheaper in some cases) you can get a non-frozen large from Little Caesars, which is not the best quality, but it's still better than frozen. You could settle for a smaller than large pizza from other places, which is enough for most people anyhow, maybe more if they're running a special.

18 hours ago, Kinare said:

More doesn't always mean better, though. My favorite frozen pizza actually has a not so good crust, so I waste quite a bit of it, even though there's technically more to it than my 2nd favorite, which has a thin crust and tastes pretty ok (less ok since htey changed the recipe, rawr).

Personally, I only ever buy frozen pizzas anymore when they're super cheap. For the same price (or cheaper in some cases) you can get a non-frozen large from Little Caesars, which is not the best quality, but it's still better than frozen. You could settle for a smaller than large pizza from other places, which is enough for most people anyhow, maybe more if they're running a special.

There isnt a good quality frozen pizza anywhere. And a small pizza from any major chain still costs over twice as much as an average frozen pizza. Cant beat 3.50, ya know? Not that the ingredients on those "fresh" pizzas are any better. 90% of a pizza is just flour water yeast and tomato sauce, the rest is just flash on top to make you feel like you got a good deal.

6 hours ago, Azure said:

There isnt a good quality frozen pizza anywhere. And a small pizza from any major chain still costs over twice as much as an average frozen pizza. Cant beat 3.50, ya know? Not that the ingredients on those "fresh" pizzas are any better. 90% of a pizza is just flour water yeast and tomato sauce, the rest is just flash on top to make you feel like you got a good deal.

Maybe it's just a matter of geography in this case? Not sure where you're from. I'm stuck in Michigan, USA myself.

The frozen pizza I like the best when not on sale can exceed $5, will exceed $6 easily if it's a smaller store (the store I used to work at charged around $7.50 for it). My 2nd favorite is usually priced just a bit below $5 when not on sale. Alternatively, you can take that same $5 and go to Little Caesars and buy a hot-n-ready large pepperoni and I think they have a deep dish one now for $6. LC's is not very good quality compared to any other chain, BUT it does beat or match frozen.

My freezer has been stocked lately with frozen pizza tho because a few weeks ago my 2nd fav was on sale for like $2 after coupons and the 1st favorite was on sale for something like $3 w/ coupons a week ago. Gotta get them on sale for them to be worth it over fresh.