Debt

#00Buck

Who do you owe money to?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you owe money to? (choose as many as relevant)

• Student Loans
    • Car Payments
    • Mortgage
    • Unpaid Rent
    • Unpaid Utilities
    • Credit Cards
    • Friends
    • Family
    • Unpaid Taxes / The Government
    • Bad People
    • Medical Bills
    • Fines / Bail / Bond
    • I don't owe anyone anything.

Just now, Lemon said:

You didn't grasp my point. My time is more important than wasting ~10 years of it to do a trade I hated, work a job I hated, and save up to do something I wanted but then find I'm too old to really be effective in it. 

Or, what if I want a family? I can't be 30 and have a kid and say, oh, now that I've saved enough to go to school, I can drop the job I hate but supports my family because I want to be happy. It'd be more responsible of me to put that ~60k I saved towards a down payment on a house and a college fund for my kids. Boom. Now what you've suggested guaranteed me a life I hated because I went to trade school in an effort to be in no debt when I went to the other school I wanted to be in all along. 

Also, my socioeconomic status is not just due to money. There are many facets to my situation, 80% of which I couldn't control.  Because of how my industry worms, if I had waited until I was self sufficient I would have missed out. 

Life with student debt in job I like > life debt free with job I hate. However, I'm still allowed to complain that college could be paid in full by a part time job in the 1970s v now, as the cost of college inflating and the associated costs are entirely different related issues I couldn't control. 

Not ten years. One year of trade school then two years of work. That's all. 

You also can't have a family if you have massive debt unless you enjoy being on welfare.

As for companies coming to you school to recruit...

I'll fill you in on what is common knowledge in the management of companies that hire people straight out of school.

The companies do this not because they value youth. They do it to take advantage of broke students who will work for far less than an experienced professional. They hire students and make them work insane hours on demanding projects. Then when the student decides to ask for a raise they fire they student (this typically co-incides with the timing of the next graduating class.) 

They then return to the school to hire fresh suckers... I mean students. The students who get hired and fired wander around looking for jobs which is tough with only 1 year of experience and a whole pool of new students to hire at a fraction of the cost. This happens every year like clock work. It is a great way to reduce production costs. Someone like me is in charge of the hiring and firing. That's how it works.

How do you pay the debt after you've been fired. I guess that's where serving coffee comes in.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Sitting and sleeping makes me happy. :P

Me too.

• Like 2

If I had known that trades were so valuable when I was just starting out as an adult I would have gladly gone and done that first, even though the jobs don't sound fun, then maybe pursued my dream job. Now, because of the debt I have from my first failed attempt at getting my dream job, I will likely never have it and will continue this shitty life of always worrying about money while working a job that barely covers basic expenses (but at least I don't hate it most of the time). I doubt I could even get into a trade school at this point since even that costs money and no one is going to give me a loan with my credit shot and tons of debt over my head. I have no room to ave any money up either without working a ton of overtime, which is hard to get because of course the company doesn't want to pay it so they try not to give it.

No one talks about trades, everyone talks about school and how you need to go there and you need to do it NOW because you need to have a fancy job that requires tons of educationz ASAP or you will be a miserable fuck up. I really wish someone had told me when I was younger just how much trade folks make for so little schooling and what the alternative (my current situation) was.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kinare said:

If I had known that trades were so valuable when I was just starting out as an adult I would have gladly gone and done that first, even though the jobs don't sound fun, then maybe pursued my dream job. Now, because of the debt I have from my first failed attempt at getting my dream job, I will likely never have it and will continue this shitty life of always worrying about money while working a job that barely covers basic expenses (but at least I don't hate it most of the time). I doubt I could even get into a trade school at this point since even that costs money and no one is going to give me a loan with my credit shot and tons of debt over my head. I have no room to ave any money up either without working a ton of overtime, which is hard to get because of course the company doesn't want to pay it so they try not to give it.

No one talks about trades, everyone talks about school and how you need to go there and you need to do it NOW because you need to have a fancy job that requires tons of educationz ASAP or you will be a miserable fuck up. I really wish someone had told me when I was younger just how much trade folks make for so little schooling and what the alternative (my current situation) was.

Sucks that sometimes it does not work out. I've got a university degree and I also went to college. Ironically I went to college after I graduated from university. My college training was less than one year. I've used those skills far more than anything I learned in three years at university. Although I don't really use skills from either for what I do now. 

Trades are highly undervalued. I know a guy who taught both his kids to weld at a vey young age. He insisted they become incredibly good at it. His kids had no interest in doing welding. They wanted to do other things. When asked why he taught them he said "If anything doesn't work out for my kids they can walk into a workshop anywhere in the country and instantly make at least $50 an hour and put food on the table. My children will never starve! 

I think he's a wise man. 

If you think you might not be able to get your dream job you can always change your dream. Also some trades have paid apprentice programs. You can get paid to learn while you work and in many cases the pay is better than what you might be making now depending on what your current pay is. Or maybe you can sneak into your dream job sideways. There are creative ways of getting into something rather than the traditional hiring process. 

• Like 1

So I'm gonna be a strange case here, maybe. I'm a college graduate with no student loan debt. Half of that is because my parents started a college fund when I was born, a quarter of that s due to a now deceased pair of grandparents, and the final fourth is because of myself. Paid my last year off.

I've been in the working world for the past four years now, and I make sure to save at least a week's pay every month. I aim for more.

So yeah. I'm debt free right now. My car is a piece of shit and I"ll need a new one soon, but other than that, no big bills. I need some minor dental work, but it's all pretty affordable if insurance won't kick in.

It can be done guys. Just kill your grandparents D:

12 minutes ago, Sylver said:

Biochemistry and molecular biology.

Since I'm studying all the time and I virtually eclipse other students, I don't really have time for a job. My parents earn and own far too much, but will only pay for my food and accommodation. Due to how much my parents earn and that I can't get a job, the government won't pay me anything. I'm going to be left with 30-40k in student debt. Woohoo.

In my opinion, Tertiary education should be free.

Edit: I forgot about scholarships. I could apply for those. I'll have to look into it.

If you have 40K you can use Space Marines.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

Mortgage. Thats all. And I'm not losing money paying it since the value of the house keeps going up as I renovate it. Had little debt leaving college since I went to a trade school and worked full time at the same time. The 70 hours (40 work, 30 school) were a bit rough but it definitely payed off.

I'm curious: What renovations have you done for it so far?

56 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

What options should I pick if there're people who owe me money ?

The options are family, friends, and bad people.

If they are not your friend or family and you owe them money and has not paid them yet...

They will probably become very bad for you sooner or later. 

i owe money to the government. they are never getting. i also owe money to bad people, but they are far away and probably too high to remember. so my net debt is ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

if you cant buy it with cash(of course this doesnt apply to houses), you dont fucking need it. credit is fine for an emergency measure, but frankly, people are utterly drunk on it and the more you participate the worse it will get. also protip, never owe me money. i will break you.

college is also a different story, but considering that i lived on my own, worked full time, owned a car, had many obligations, and still put 3 good years in with zero debt leads me to believe that people take out loans just to lifestyle. of course this isnt applicable to harvard, but if youre just going to a state school, man the fuck up and get that money. it aint that hard, and you aint that involved. or hey enjoy decades of misery debt and that job you didnt get with your liberal arts degree :V

inb4 edgelords who say they are just gonna default on their government debts. you deserve every detriment that comes from that because in the end you are stealing from everyone. 

Edited by Azure

I actually dont have a lot of debt.

I regularly have SOME manageable chunks of credit card debt. Typically because I'll opt to use my credit over debit when purchasing things I need, such as food, and transfer my money over from my bank account to pay it over later.

Currently I've exceeded it a bit more than usual so Im a bit wary to toss my credit card to make more debt before I can pay off what I have...which was roughly $230 but I paid off a $100 chunk for now.

Awhile back when I had food/supplies/etc paid for me I had $600 in debt which I was able to easily pay off in two full payche ks.

Im still not quite fully independant so I have to be very careful not to exceed any debt I cant pay off...hopefully my job picks up and I get paychecks soon.

The only other weird random debt I have is....student loan. For some reason I cannot fathom I somehow have $2,000 or $3,000 in that and I dont even remember asking that company for a loan. Like at all. My college funding was supposed to be from inheritence/FAFSA, I had never asked for a loan and I am just so confused. Going to have to ask teh gubbermints to release me from this debt (Ha!) Or my parents (Ha!)

59 minutes ago, Azure said:

if you cant buy it with cash(of course this doesnt apply to houses), you dont fucking need it. credit is fine for an emergency measure, but frankly, people are utterly drunk on it

Havent had a huge problem yet with using cards...I might if I didnt pay attention to spending habits.

Apparently my credit score is better than my parents because of it

• Like 1

I owe about $10k in student debt but I should have no problem paying it back because I only took out the loan to cover my studying in Austria. other than that I've never had to take out a loan for school because I live at home and I have no other bills.

also, people owe me money too :P

On 2/4/2016 at 7:33 PM, Vae said:

On 2/4/2016 at 7:33 PM, Vae said:

You must have a hell of a connection network to just go "lol people should just get more jobs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Goddammit, I'm going to harp on this EVERY F'IN TIME I see this: BECOMING BETTER OFF FINANCIALLY DOES NOT MEAN GETTING A BETTER JOB. GETTING WEALTHIER DOES NOT MEAN WORKING HARDER. When you see people (including me) talking about that topic, we're NOT saying you have to work more, or that you fail or are worse than rich people because you're not working hard enough.

Get the stupid shit idea that to become wealthy you have to work more or harder out of your damn heads! It's complete and utter bullshit.

On 2/4/2016 at 10:29 PM, Sylver said:

In my opinion, Tertiary education should be free.

Be careful what you wish for. Ever hear the expression, "You get what you pay for?"

In my case, I have about $55k left on my mortgage, and $65k left in my student loans. I have more than enough money to pay that off, but I don't, because you have to keep your money in whatever pays the highest interest. Right now that's my business investments and Bitcoin. Basically, I make more over the long term investing and paying minimum on my debts. If I had debts with higher interest than my investment returns, I would be better off in the long term paying down that higher interest debt.

That said, I also own debts. About $125k is owed to me, on some of which I'm earning pretty nice interest. Debts in general aren't a bad thing. We have this knee-jerk understanding of debt=bad, mainly because most of us only have bad debts (credit cards, mortgages), but debt can be good or bad depending on the type. For instance, student debt can be good debt, if you were smart enough to get a degree that's in demand. It's an investment in yourself. Buying assets with debt can be good too. For example, buying a $100k property, of which $95k is debt (paid for by the bank), on which you collect rent higher than mortgage payments, is good debt. What do you care that money is owed on it, if it keeps making you money.

Edited by Rassah

I've actually been trying to get into debt so I can get some dumb credit. My bank offers secured loans but there is so much paperwork ug (like they are seriously wanting references...)! Just give me a credit card so I can get stupid credit!!! I have the money on hand, just ice the darn amount in exchange for the stupid card. Bleh. 

On 2/4/2016 at 11:21 PM, DrGravitas said:

I'm curious: What renovations have you done for it so far?

Kitchen all the way down to studs, main bath as well. And ripped out the flooring all the way down to the joists), replaced windows. Still need 6 more windows, siding and insulation in the rest of the house (and basement remodel). But its getting there. And I have a 2 story garage.

• Like 1

On February 6, 2016 at 0:26 AM, AshleyAshes said:

So, one person said 'Bad People'.  Does that mean some jerk they know cost them money or they own money to loan sharks who are going to break their legs? D:

I think they didn't know how to categorize the person and I said if it goes unpaid for long enough it will probably turn them into "bad people." 

That happens a lot when people borrow money and don't pay.