If the sexes are so equal..

Harbinger

Equal is a bit of a hazy term outside of mathematics. It can have all sorts of applications, but those applications of the word aren't always good. The fact that we are a sexually dimorphic species makes males and females anything but "equal" in a physical sense, at least.

• Like 1

I don't know what the hell has gotten into you lately, but I am genuinely sick of your attitude. Every post I see from you, you're spitting bile or picking fights with people for no goddamn reason.I always give people the benefit of the doubt, and yet somehow  my opinion of you has plummeted faster than it ever has for anybody for as long as I can remember. You disappoint me harbinger.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

I don't know what the hell has gotten into you lately, but I am genuinely sick of your attitude. Every post I see from you, you're spitting bile or picking fights with people for no goddamn reason.I always give people the benefit of the doubt, and yet somehow  my opinion of you has plummeted faster than it ever has for anybody for as long as I can remember. You disappoint me harbinger.

Because im fucking sick of some the shit people spout in this community. Look at this thread for example, i added a fucking emoticon to make the post seem lighthearted, and yet not im getting jumped for what, asking a legitimate question?

1 minute ago, Harbinger said:

Because im fucking sick of some the shit people spout in this community. Look at this thread for example, i added a fucking emoticon to make the post seem lighthearted, and yet not im getting jumped for what, asking a legitimate question?

This is your idea of being "light hearted"? Flipping shit and cussing everybody out for responding poorly to what feels like a painfully obvious attempt to get under the skin of the many transgender users on the forum? You need to seriously take a step away from the computer and calm yourself down.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

I think I may be able to predict with some accuracy who will be posting the weekly suicide threat / cry for attention thread. 

1 minute ago, MuttButt said:

This is your idea of being "light hearted"? Flipping shit and cussing everybody out for responding poorly to what feels like a painfully obvious attempt to get under the skin of the many transgender users on the forum? You need to seriously take a step away from the computer and calm yourself down.

No i dont, if anything i need to not put up with anymore bs posted online. Obvious attempt to get under the skin of transgender users?

Im fucking asking about them under curiosity. My flipping of shit was in response to the spaz fest that followed the comments, i mean seriously, moving a thread to a spam section because of this? Pathetic...

I was always under the impression that :V was reserved for non-serious statements which are used in a joking manner and are not to be engaged seriously?

As for why people go to such lengths to change theirs?

I guess some boys just grow up wanting to be little girls who get to wear frilly little pink skirts and colourful knee high socks all day long?

Nothing in society ever really made sense, it just happens.

46 minutes ago, Ieono said:

Equal is a bit of a hazy term outside of mathematics. It can have all sorts of applications, but those applications of the word aren't always good. The fact that we are a sexually dimorphic species makes males and females anything but "equal" in a physical sense, at least.

No one is equal, but we all deserve equal treatment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

How you thought this would turn out well kinda mystifies me, dude.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

No i dont, if anything i need to not put up with anymore bs posted online. Obvious attempt to get under the skin of transgender users?

Im fucking asking about them under curiosity. My flipping of shit was in response to the spaz fest that followed the comments, i mean seriously, moving a thread to a spam section because of this? Pathetic...

I have nothing left to say to you except that I sincerely hope that you have a good excuse for your petty, immature, dickhead behavior or else I have seriously misjudged your character. Best of luck to you, I hope you find peace.

2 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

How you thought this would turn out well kinda mystifies me, dude.

I didnt think it would go well or go south, i thought i would ask a question and get some interesting answers. And i did, just in another group chat im in with a few transexuals that arent assholes.

To the OP - I believe it has to do with the gender stereotypes assigned to each sex, and wanting the assigned genitalia at birth being traded for the other sex. It has nothing to do with wanting any kind of equality, just a strong wanting to be the other gender/sex because you feel more strongly about being assigned or labeled the other gender/sex.

I believe that's what it is. I'm not a trans person so I couldn't tell you for sure. If I'm wrong can someone correct me so I have a better understanding? I'm very open to listening to people and willing to be educated on the subject.

• Like 1

Moving this to the Blackhole did seem a bit quick in judgement. Sure the emoticon in the post was misused to make it seem like a bait thread but the question beforehand was based out of curiosity. I think waiting to see more responses first and how the OP would communicate with the other posters in the thread, would have been a better way to judge before moving it to Blackhole. I mean come on, only 2 people responded before it was moved and one of them was actually trying to give an answer :/

However @Harbinger I feel it would have been more appropriate if you had messaged Lemon directly to explain that you were actually serious, rather than respond in the thread in an angered manner

people get hormone therapy and sex change operations because some people are born mentally as one sex but physically as others and there is research to back this up

this isn't hard

On 2/3/2016 at 8:00 PM, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Moving this to the Blackhole did seem a bit quick in judgement. Sure the emoticon in the post was misused to make it seem like a bait thread but the question beforehand was based out of curiosity. I think waiting to see more responses first and how the OP would communicate with the other posters in the thread, would have been a better way to judge before moving it to Blackhole. I mean come on, only 2 people responded before it was moved and one of them was actually trying to give an answer :/

However @Harbinger I feel it would have been more appropriate if you had messaged Lemon directly to explain that you were actually serious, rather than respond in the thread in an angered manner

honestly I wouldn't have even black hole'd this. I probably would've locked it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, malibu said:

To the OP - I believe it has to do with the gender stereotypes assigned to each sex, and wanting the assigned genitalia at birth being traded for the other sex. It has nothing to do with wanting any kind of equality, just a strong wanting to be the other gender/sex because you feel more strongly about being assigned or labeled the other gender/sex.

I believe that's what it is. I'm not a trans person so I couldn't tell you for sure. If I'm wrong can someone correct me so I have a better understanding? I'm very open to listening to people and willing to be educated on the subject.

Thanks man for the answer. Yeah thats what the other guys in my chat were saying which i understand now, the whole disassociation thing.

1 minute ago, Mentova said:

people get hormone therapy and sex change operations because some people are born mentally as one sex but physically as others and there is research to back this up

this isn't hard

ehhh, I don't even know about that even. Yeah, this forum has a history of topics like this kinda going either way (good or bad) but having a bit of optimism that it could've gone okay wouldn't have hurt.

2 minutes ago, Mentova said:

Well that would have been even more stupid.

And no it probably isnt a hard thing to know, if you're into that sorta topic, but it doesnt apply to me, so why would i bother reading into it on web pages when i could just ask a community with many members with first had knowledge. Thats what a forum is for.

Just now, Clove Darkwave said:

The only hard part is actually being the person that suffers the massive amount of mental distress!

I meant hard as in understanding why people do these things not that it was easy for the people to deal with it.

Just now, Harbinger said:

Well that would have been even more stupid.

And no it probably isnt a hard thing to know, if you're into that sorta topic, but it doesnt apply to me, so why would i bother reading into it on web pages when i could just ask a community with many members with first had knowledge. Thats what a forum is for.

because you worded it in an inflammatory manner that you probably knew from the start would end up the way it did.

Also I'd like to clarify for folks around here, as long as I could remember it the ":V" meme has a lot more to do with being snarky (borderline asshole) in most cases.

Just to elucidate why the heat.

it can be used both as a snarky thing and as a goofy sarcastic thing

1 minute ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

ehhh, I don't even know about that even. Yeah, this forum has a history of topics like this kinda going either way (good or bad) but having a bit of optimism that it could've gone okay wouldn't have hurt.

Honestly, if she would have moved it later people would say that's a bad move. If she locks it, that's a bad move. If she does nothing, that's a bad move. That's just how mods are treated. :V

As for the topic. Sexes are not equal. Sexes get equal treatment, but physically they are different. Hence some people would like to be one or the other. This is my shortest answer.

• Like 1

Just now, Mentova said:

because you worded it in an inflammatory manner that you probably knew from the start would end up the way it did.

TBH i sorta did, but only in the sense that it would be taken the way it did. Like i said, it was a genuine question i was interested in, if we're all the same or whatever then it shouldnt matter what you were born as so i was curious as to why. And i sorta knew just for merely questioning that and wanting to know would make some of the local asses to go ape shit for no reason, hence the :V

Oh, sorry dude I wasn't trying to actually correct you. I was more taking a moment to wax melancholy at an attempt at making humor at having to deal with it.

don't need to be sorry, I figured you were but I was said that just in case.

Just now, Harbinger said:

TBH i sorta did, but only in the sense that it would be taken the way it did. Like i said, it was a genuine question i was interested in, if we're all the same or whatever then it shouldnt matter what you were born as so i was curious as to why. And i sorta knew just for merely questioning that and wanting to know would make some of the local asses to go ape shit for no reason, hence the :V

I'm pretty sure if you worded it like, "I honestly do not understand why some people identify as trans. I don't mean to be offensive or anything, I just don't understand. Could someone please explain it to me so I can become educated on this subject? Thanks!" then literally nobody would be angry. Its called having social tact.

5 minutes ago, Recel said:

As for the topic. Sexes are not equal. Sexes get equal treatment, but physically they are different. Hence some people would like to be one or the other. This is my shortest answer.

Yeah the physical factor was what i wasnt thinking of, thanks for the answer.

2 minutes ago, Mentova said:

don't need to be sorry, I figured you were but I was said that just in case.

I'm pretty sure if you worded it like, "I honestly do not understand why some people identify as trans. I don't mean to be offensive or anything, I just don't understand. Could someone please explain it to me so I can become educated on this subject? Thanks!" then literally nobody would be angry. Its called having social tact.

Knowing this community i honestly thing they still would have.

maybe, but it would've been taken a hell of a lot better than implying that people only identify as trans for "benefits"

• Like 2

Some tact would have helped you out here, Harb, because it's a sensitive subject and a lot of people here (and in general) openly display hate/ignorance on the subject. I know you didn't mean to be offensive, and I wouldn't have taken it that way. Mentova's pretty much described what I would have said-- that there's a mental/physical disconnect (the technical term is "gender dysphoria"), and everytime someone refers to you as your biological sex, or you even look in the mirror, it feels... wrong. There's no way to describe it. You just have to live it (and I don't wish this upon anybody).

• Like 1

Theres a disconnect between personality, mentality, and identity with what the physical expression of yourself is...part of which you cant help, part of which you can.

Hence why people change to make themselves more comfortable

Not so much that they see the opposite sex has it easier/better, which is probably what I accidentally come off sounding like if I'd explained it before maybe:/ I just really crave masculinity

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

Some tact would have helped you out here, Harb, because it's a sensitive subject and a lot of people here (and in general) openly display hate/ignorance on the subject. I know you didn't mean to be offensive, and I wouldn't have taken it that way. Mentova's pretty much described what I would have said-- that there's a mental/physical disconnect (the technical term is "gender dysphoria"), and everytime someone refers to you as your biological sex, or you even look in the mirror, it feels... wrong. There's no way to describe it. You just have to live it (and I don't wish this upon anybody).

Yeah i know about that disphoria thing now, which was the original answer i guess, and yeah i didnt mean any offense. To me even if you take away that dumb smily in the OP its still just a neutral question that isnt degrading to any parties.

To answer OP:

People who are transgender experience gender dysphoria, which is an instance in where there is a disconnect between what sex they are born as and what sex they feel they should be. This disconnect is a mental/emotional thing that essentially feels like you don't belong in the skin you're in. You're a square object trying to fit in a triangle size opening. It's not right and it doesn't work.

When going through the gender change and hormone therapy that goes along with this, the person isn't doing it for any social standards; they're doing it so they feel like an actual person who belongs in their body. It has nothing to do with genders being treated equally or not.

6 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

To answer OP:

People who are transgender experience gender dysphoria, which is an instance in where there is a disconnect between what sex they are born as and what sex they feel they should be. This disconnect is a mental/emotional thing that essentially feels like you don't belong in the skin you're in. You're a square object trying to fit in a triangle size opening. 

For me I dont feel "in the wrong body" per se, its my body :PI just got a different chromosome..such a small thing to make a big difference.

To me everything is me except secondary sex characteristics. Those have always felt really weird.

I kind of just dully accept it sometimes but also strive to change what I could...well now I do more than before

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

To answer OP:

People who are transgender experience gender dysphoria, which is an instance in where there is a disconnect between what sex they are born as and what sex they feel they should be. This disconnect is a mental/emotional thing that essentially feels like you don't belong in the skin you're in. You're a square object trying to fit in a triangle size opening. It's not right and it doesn't work.

When going through the gender change and hormone therapy that goes along with this, the person isn't doing it for any social standards; they're doing it so they feel like an actual person who belongs in their body. It has nothing to do with genders being treated equally or not.

Seriously, it does nothing but make your life more complicated and in most cases difficult. But it's all there is to do about it. Without going more in-depth than most people care to hear.

7 minutes ago, Sylver said:

I've never cared about gender equality.

The body is a sack of meat that provides mobility for the brain and supplies it with energy. I don't see why a person is inferior purely based on that meat sack.

Because every meatbag has either a hoo-hoo or a chaa-chaa and places a superiority/inferiority if you have either one of those things. 

1 hour ago, Harbinger said:

If you had worded it liked that, I sure as shit wouldn't have moved it to the black hole. 

Many people have already said, but since I'm the one who moved it here I'm gonna reiterate: how the fuck did you think adding a :v to a single sentence asking a complex question like this woulda come off as? I didn't want to wait and see if this was gonna be a mess. If it did, oh well, its in BH. And, I didn't want to lock it because a) I don't wanna go around and lock stuff, and b) on the off chance it was legit, conversation would have continued, and I coulda moved it back to water cooler no harm nor fowl. (I know its foul, but lol furries)

I refuse to be a mod that stomps everything, nor do I refuse to let everything slide. This is my middle ground. I wanna work with you. In the future, if I do something you don't like, PM me and we can solve this all like adults. 

4 minutes ago, Lemon said:

If you had worded it liked that, I sure as shit wouldn't have moved it to the black hole. 

Many people have already said, but since I'm the one who moved it here I'm gonna reiterate: how the fuck did you think adding a :v to a single sentence asking a complex question like this woulda come off as? I didn't want to wait and see if this was gonna be a mess. If it did, oh well, its in BH. And, I didn't want to lock it because a) I don't wanna go around and lock stuff, and b) on the off chance it was legit, conversation would have continued, and I coulda moved it back to water cooler no harm nor fowl. (I know its foul, but lol furries)

I refuse to be a mod that stomps everything, nor do I refuse to let everything slide. This is my middle ground. I wanna work with you. In the future, if I do something you don't like, PM me and we can solve this all like adults. 

I personally would have waited a little longer, but sure enough, you made the right call as far as I can see. This thread is a mess.

10 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I personally would have waited a little longer, but sure enough, you made the right call as far as I can see. This thread is a mess.

Fair nuff, I'll do that next time. I was going to bed for school tomorrow and didn't wanna wake up to a mess in the wrong place. Letting red juice spill on carpet vs tile, if you will. 

Oh Harby tumblr_n3tv1k3EC21txcc7go1_400.gif

I honestly expected a little better of you to ask a question like this in s matter of fact way with a simple emoticon in a section used for semi serious discussions and then flip out when people get upset you have been in this forum community for years I'd think you knew how shit worked 

Edited by Joel