If the sexes are so equal..

Harbinger

okay, to answer an unserious question seriously:

If the sexes are so equal-

Lemme stop you there.

They're not. Biologically they are very different. They have different chemicals running different things, and they are very much not equal. 

That said, they each have their pros and cons, but the reason people want to change their gender is personal. Everyone's reason is different, the only thing you need to know is that they feel uncomfortable how they are, and you should be happy that they are becoming more accustomed to the body they are shackled to for their short mortality. 

The real question I have for you: 

If the sexes are so equal, as you say they are, why does it matter if people swap one out for the other? 

• Like 1

this is going to sound full of it but, in my experience trying to explain it, if you haven't experienced it there's really not much common ground to be able to explain it

I mean, words only work if both parties have some idea of what they represent 

12 minutes ago, Aresh said:

this is going to sound full of it but, in my experience trying to explain it, if you haven't experienced it there's really not much common ground to be able to explain it

Let me give it a try.

If you've ever felt one of those things that's hard to explain to another, like say Loss, it's vaguely similar to that.

44 minutes ago, Aresh said:

Eh, I view it kind of like names.

People identify with their names.
Sometimes, people identify with a different name, and go through the process of having theirs changed.
Sometimes, they can't or won't do that, but still have everyone refer to them as the name they're more comfortable with, anyway.

And then you have people like "Are you suuuure you're a Jason? You look more like a Claire to me."
Guess what, homes? I don't fuckin care. You're gonna call me what I damn well tell you to call me.

Edited by Vae

1 minute ago, Vae said:

Eh, I view it kind of like names.

People identify with their names.
Sometimes, people identify with a different name, and go through the process of having theirs changed.
Sometimes, they can't or won't do that, but still have everyone refer to them as the name they're more comfortable with, anyway.

And then you have people like "Are you suuuure you're a Jason? You look more like a Claire to me."
Guess what, homes? I don't fuckin care. You're gonna call me what I damn well tell you to call me.

not like that for me though I don't care what people call me, I just have a weird sense of self image

Just now, Aresh said:

not like that for me though I don't care what people call me, I just have a weird sense of self image

Some people also don't care about how other people interpret their gender.

What is and isn't important in someone's self-image is going to be different.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

I think genders are bovine droppings anyway, the fact it apparently matters if one is "male" or "female" stools only on gender roles that do not make sense to me at all. I simply fail to see the difference. please don't shoot me, I think gendered thinking is rather biased.

I think some people get hung up here because there's a big difference between Sex and Gender. People use "Transgender" as a blanket catch-all that includes "Transsexuals" as well which might be where the confusion comes from?

'cause there's a massive difference in not feeling your gender/gender role and being on the path of HRT and/or SRS.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

I think genders are bovine droppings anyway, the fact it apparently matters if one is "male" or "female" stools only on gender roles that do not make sense to me at all. I simply fail to see the difference. please don't shoot me, I think gendered thinking is rather biased.

In a perfect world I believe there wouldn't be any norms and expected social roles for the sexes and people would just wear the cloths, do the things, and behave in the ways that feel right to them as an individual, but unfortunately humans are a little too in love with sorting things into neat little categories and thinking in terms of black and white. The unknown and the ambiguous make most people uncomfortable. Additionally the damage done by thousands of years of culture and society is not so easily undone.

• Like 2

Looks like one of your bros has gone off the deep end. Either that or his account has been hacked.

And Mentova, a mod again?

How interesting...

As for the question, I don't really know why. I know I'd rather be a man since this is still considered "a man's world". So the scale of favor does tip towards the male gender some.

Edited by Mr. Fox

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Looks like one of your bros has gone off the deep end. Either that or his account has been hacked.

And Mentova, a mod again?

How interesting...

As for the question, I don't really know why. I know I'd rather be a man since this is still considered "a man's world". So the scale of favor does tip towards the male gender some.

This website is incompetent 

why is this a surprise or interesting for you 

Smiley or no smiley, its funny how most went to such extreme comments over a fucking :v face. Like seriously, its not even a word, its two buttons on a keyboard, are you saying it would be that different without it?

Like i already answered, i kinda new this would turn into a shitstorm even though it shouldnt have been as it was a genuine question. And as someone say the stupid :V face sometimes indicates what you're about to say will start a shitstorm, hence why i used it. But whatever, clearly im trans/homo/whatever phobic now based on a smiley.

17 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Smiley or no smiley, its funny how most went to such extreme comments over a fucking :v face. Like seriously, its not even a word, its two buttons on a keyboard, are you saying it would be that different without it?

Like i already answered, i kinda new this would turn into a shitstorm even though it shouldnt have been as it was a genuine question. And as someone say the stupid :V face sometimes indicates what you're about to say will start a shitstorm, hence why i used it. But whatever, clearly im trans/homo/whatever phobic now based on a smiley.

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure in the old FAF forum guide/rules/thing it even said the :v was used for being super fucking sarcastic, so I'm guessing most people are taking that and plugging it into your statement as super sarcastic and snarky. That and you didn't exactly give us a lot to work with. With such a short post, there's no context clues or anything to figure out tone or purpose of posting. Just like how >.< generally stands for stressed or upset or something. Seeing it automatically pairs whatever sentence it's with to that emotion. Same thing here.

38 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

This website is incompetent 

why is this a surprise or interesting for you 

I once saw a fox with 9 throbbing penises bigger than him in a cum stained room. Believe me, nothing surprises me anymore.

31 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

See, now you know why I stress the importance of emotes. But some get so butthurt about the use of them,.  

Edited by Mr. Fox

this has less to do with equality and more to do with the fact that my body gives me literal anxiety and discomfort at times

13 hours ago, Harbinger said:

yes actually. it's the difference between "I'm sorry :)" and "I'm sorry :(" or I guess in this case, "I'm sorry :V" and "I'm sorry". it's also why adding ellipses to the end of a sentence makes it sound passive aggressive at times, and so on. words have tone. and if your tone implies "sarcastic asshole" well, people are going to assume you made this thread to start an argument. especially since the question sounds really trollish and doesn't really make that much sense

not that some people's reactions are better but maybe you should look at why people reacted the way they did instead of becoming defensive

Edit: @Saxon changing sex isn't a requirement for being transgender. a lot of people choose not to for a lot of reasons other than "I want to be different". it has more to do with identity than it does with physical appearance in many cases.

also surgery is expensive and not always effective

Edited by willow
  • Like 1

Trannies gonna tran because they just want to sneak into the opposite sex bathroom and prey on hapless people of their fancy for self gratification.

This is all true because these are nothing more than people in wigs, yo.

Also just as crazy as otherkin because nobody can look like one gender and pretend to be completely another.

Silly, silly people and their made up pervy fantasies

4 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I think that there's sufficient evidence to believe people that actual gender dysphoric disorders are biologically driven. 

So does that mean that such a mind set is developed from a physical manifestation rather than a psychological one?

Such as a chemical imbalance and the like?

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Yes. People who cannot but feel they are the wrong sex often have odd brain architectures which are sexually ambiguous, and are more likely to share certain genetic factors in common with each other. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_dysphoria#Biological_causes

(Brain architecture is plastic to some extent.)

Hmm, interesting stuff, something like that would make sense, is it possible to adjust such an imbalance with a form of hormone or chemical treatment should someone choose to undergo such a process?

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

I literally have no idea. Brain architecture is a little be malleable, but I don't know whether it would be possible to align somebody's brain architecture with their physical body with a chemical therapy, whether it would be safer than gender reassignment surgery, or whether the real answer is just to place emphasis on becoming comfortable with who you are, rather than seeking medical intervention.  

I don't know enough about this. 

Sounds like it'd be easier to change brain chemistry (assuming such a task was easily done) rather than changing an entire body to adjust to this.

But by doing so thats also rather scary, its like altering the person you are used to in order to fit what people want you to be.

If altering brain patterns to affix to what the body is supposed to be is 'normal', perhaps people against homosexuality would have opted to 'cure' it as well

All of that junk sounds like a mind-altering, person-changing dystopia waiting to happen (Phineas Gauge, anyone?).

Still an interesting option, not sure how many transgender folks would wish for the cure to want to align with their birth sex (some might, just to fit in), while others cant really imagine not being themselves and having that alteration upon them is all sorts of twisted

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

On 2/5/2016 at 4:34 AM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Sounds like it'd be easier to change brain chemistry (assuming such a task was easily done) rather than changing an entire body to adjust to this.

But by doing so thats also rather scary, its like altering the person you are used to in order to fit what people want you to be.

If altering brain patterns to affix to what the body is supposed to be is 'normal', perhaps people against homosexuality would have opted to 'cure' it as well

All of that junk sounds like a mind-altering, person-changing dystopia waiting to happen (Phineas Gauge, anyone?).

It is and it's already being done to different degrees, both intentional and unintentional.

On 2/5/2016 at 9:40 PM, Saxon said:

I literally have no idea. Brain architecture is a little be malleable, but I don't know whether it would be possible to align somebody's brain architecture with their physical body with a chemical therapy, whether it would be safer than gender reassignment surgery, or whether the real answer is just to place emphasis on becoming comfortable with who you are, rather than seeking medical intervention.  

I don't know enough about this. 

That's alright, I just thought it might have been worth asking.

4 hours ago, Khaki said:

It is and it's already being done to different degrees, both intentional and unintentional.

That's alright, I just thought it might have been worth asking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranial_electrotherapy_stimulation

This, correct?

Hm, But to what extent can it work, and how much is too much? 

I suspect the line to draw would be if the disorder causes a significant problem in functioning where the individual themself wishes to alter their brain chemistry, not others. Rather than seek alternatives to assuage the issue (not everyone turns to therapy and drugs for anxiety, but instead develop habits that work for them)

Because altering someone's mind even with good reason seems...off. 

I imagine, although not quite an apt comparison but I cant think of much else, it'd be like everyone who was like this person was primed to like X thing, but a person prefers Y thing, and said person cant imagine life without wanting Y thing because it wouldnt be themselves, it would be like another person with new tastes and ideas. 

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

20 hours ago, Cingal said:

I think it's a bit daft myself.

I mean, it's kinda like treating people with body dysmorphia or whatever with plastic surgery rather than to accept who they are.

For trans people, its not so much trying to create an attractive avatar of the self (like in a game) as if they perceived themselves as ugly without being said gender. Its something that expresses themselves more accurately and makes for a more comfortable present state.

To a certain extent its not like there's anything wrong with body altering anyways. People dye their hair, change their weight, become more muscular. Gender is essentially being the same person...with different hormones (and a chromosome)

And its not like there aren't things people, trans or not, have to accept about themselves at a certain point. Some things you can change, some things you cant. For everyone there's a different line to draw.

I dont know thats just my input on the subject, dont quote me on this stuff and feel free to call me out

Edited by WolfNightV4X1