Ever said/done anything out of character?

Vallium

Swearing irl tends to get me some funny looks, and not because of the profane act in itself.  I guess it makes it easier for me to display annoyance as opposed to people who swear all the time having to use a new word to express anger xD

I don't really know.

People remark about how I'm weirdly loud and energetic when I've had a few drinks, and people sometimes approach me at school to tell me in surprise that they saw me, of all people, out running.

But none of this is out of character for me. I'm normally pretty vocal around my friends, and I enjoy doing my running route every day.

People who don't know me so well like to imagine I'm a tiny nerd without a social life who studies himself to death. And it surprises them when they find out I'm not that.

.. Well, I guess the study bit is kinda true.

Ever? Sure. I said and did lots of out of character things when I was in college. Not necessarily rebellious. More like trying on different looks and attitudes to see what would stick. In the end, I went back to being the same old but me with a bit more confidence.

One particular low point came when I called a friend's music collection "faggy dance music". That really threw him for a loop. In a different context, it might have come across as joking around, but we didn't know each other well and I was trying to fit in. I actually love dance music and consider myself an LGBT ally. Talk about foot in mouth.

In a way, this whole furry thing might be considered out of character in the "but he seems so normal" sense. Not that I'm particularly normal or hide the fact that I like animal characters. I just tend to tone my weirdness down in mixed company.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure what other people consider to be "in character" for me. It probably varies, but I'm more focused on just living life at this point. People tend to be more concerned about their own quirks than their neighbors'.

I have an air of carelessness and all of my close friends know that I can be forgetful, lazy, a bit of a dick, and oblivious beyond saving. But, I'm actually a very quiet, serious person with firm beliefs, though often amused. If it wasn't for that underlying demeanor, I'd just be another clown with no actual friends. I'm, unfortunately for me, referred to as "the dad" or "the older brother of everyone" because I'm always willing to listen and give advice while still being "that guy" in my group.

The worst out-of-character instance was when I told my loved ones that I didn't care any more, and I didn't want to be bothered by any of their problems. Just. Leave me. Alone. It wasn't my best week, but saying that did raise a red flag and I got a plethora of what's-wrongs when I honestly did want to be left alone to cool off. I'm not allowed to be upset. lol

Edited by SkyboundTerror
  • Like 1

I absolutely love being recognised for being out of character. It drives me. I'll tell you why.

People see the 5'2" nerdy blond kid running in sports gear, watching local bands, drinking and cracking wicked jokes. And they have to make a comment because they find it so strange.

It makes me feel validated; they've found me to be more social, outgoing, and impressive than they thought.

• Like 1

It's weird, but I have the impression that my classmates feel somewhat intimidated by me. Either that or I appear as unapproachable to them when in reality...

I'm just that LMAO

Seriously though, the answer to the OP is nah. I'm quite moody so everything I do, good or bad, is always in character

people (and by people, I mean my family) always act surprised when I show any level of affection towards anyone. like to a point where people (and by people, I again mean my family) would make a scene out of it which actually DOES make me uncomfortable. which has never made sense to me because I've never really acted like showing affection bothered me. it's just that people (and by people, I again mean my FUCKING. FAMILY) like to get in my face when I'm busy :/

I'm honestly not sure. People's first impression of me when they see me physically is that I'm a quite, loner type guy. While that is true, I'm entirely different around people I enjoy spending time with. People who barely know me also get surprised when they read something I've written or I speak up and they hear my voice. 

So in a way, I guess that counts as OOC to people who barely know me.

I'm not even sure how to answer my own question because for me anything 'out of character' would be difficult to manage x3 I'd have to make a concentrated effort and be brave or something to shock people with odd or different behavior. I don't often snap or do something unusual.

Of course it must be the people who dont know me very well that are more in shock about certain things than anything. I guess I come off as rather innocent and naive to ones to those who don't know me, and I tend to keep it that way. Though if I were to ever slip up something people'd be quite shocked :P

I tend to do that with cursing. Save that for when you're really ticked off so people know you mean business.

I once had a massive argument in-store with my boss about food safety which surprised everyone i had worked with for the last 2 years .... because they didn't know i had any qualifications and neither did my employer. So by being "In character" i was completely out of character to them. Then we got a routine inspection and they got in a ton of trouble for all the issues i pointed out. It was pretty funny in the end.

• Like 2

People who don't know me seem genuinely shocked whenever I say something silly or make a stand against something because (especially IRL) I tend to just hush around people I'm unfamiliar with, and even in some cases people I am familiar with. They get used to me hushing and so when I speak up or show any silliness it seems odd to them.

Man... That happened to Spock in the Star Trek episode,"The Galileo Seven." Spock had made an "emotional decision" to dump the fuel so that they'd be noticed and be rescued, even though they'd die faster. The other crew members gave him SUCH a hard time about it even though it worked out and didn't even seem emotional to me. That's why I'm afraid to not talk about Star Trek.

11 minutes ago, Revates said:

I'd say 14-16, I'm 18 now, so not very long ago but I think I've changed a lot as a person since then.

Interesting. I can certainly understand that I myself spent .... roughly 6 or so years as an entirely different person once i had finished school and all of the social pressure was gone i hated myself ... for hating myself It does take a long time to reconcile these kinds of feelings but man not having thousands of thought filters in my head is such a relief. I do get a lot of "since when did you (like/hate/other) *thing here*?" questions though. But hey! i managed to get through it all without becoming a horrible horrible Tumblr user so driving myself crazy was so worth it.

I am much happier now in general though, I imagine it is somewhat the same for you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liovaire said:

Interesting. I can certainly understand that I myself spent .... roughly 6 or so years as an entirely different person once i had finished school and all of the social pressure was gone i hated myself ... for hating myself It does take a long time to reconcile these kinds of feelings but man not having thousands of thought filters in my head is such a relief. I do get a lot of "since when did you (like/hate/other) *thing here*?" questions though. But hey! i managed to get through it all without becoming a horrible horrible Tumblr user so driving myself crazy was so worth it.

I am much happier now in general though, I imagine it is somewhat the same for you?

I think I had similar experiences. I've always been a social potato so I kinda tried super duper hard to fit in and seem cool. So acting like someone I wasn't was the way I did. Buuut it kinda all started to fall apart as other pressures kicked in. I left high school and have grown a lot as a person since.

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 0:43 PM, Revates said:

I think I had similar experiences. I've always been a social potato so I kinda tried super duper hard to fit in and seem cool. So acting like someone I wasn't was the way I did. Buuut it kinda all started to fall apart as other pressures kicked in. I left high school and have grown a lot as a person since.

Do you think it's true that most of your growth is done outside of high school? 

You probably can't develop as a person well with too much pressure. You'd have to conform to those issues as opposed to figuring out who you are. 

Just an inspired thought