Great Music Thread

KryptoKroenen

So, I was driving home today listening to typical shit that plays on the radio (Lady Gaga, Miley Virus, etc.) and contemplating the misfortune of the music entertainment industry when it comes to what is promoted and what is not. There are literally hundreds of artists who would blow current pop stars so far out of their element it's a joke, and yet these people never have a chance to showcase their talent to millions. These days, it seems like selling your soul to Hell-Father Lucifer and singing absolute filthy garbage with degenerative lyrics are the only paths towards greatness in the music industry. This is sad, because so many people never get to experience truly good music, as it is never shown to them. That is one of the reasons I sought to alleviate the matter somewhat, by creating this thread.

This thread is for posting content from your favorite (preferably non-mainstream) bands, or just music in general that you find to be appealing. I'll start of by posting a few pieces from my favorite composers of all time, Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix (Two Steps from Hell). Commonly referred to as the Gods of Music, it's been an underlying Youtube catch phrase to scream BLASPHEMY when the slightest iota of dissatisfaction is expressed with their work. They are amazing; here are a few of their best pieces.

I'll post more as the thread develops, and I'm looking forward to hearing your guys' favorites as well. Post away! ;)

Doesn't this belong in The Tube?

Also, there is more to being successful than being mainstream pop. Metal is an international thing, and many bands get exposure playing at music festivals that attract people from all over. Just because it isn't on the radio, doesn't mean nobody's heard of it.

8 hours ago, KryptoKroenen said:

This thread is for posting content from your favorite (preferably non-mainstream) bands, or just music in general that you find to be appealing. I'll start of by posting a few pieces from my favorite composers of all time, Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix (Two Steps from Hell). Commonly referred to as the Gods of Music, it's been an underlying Youtube catch phrase to scream BLASPHEMY when the slightest iota of dissatisfaction is expressed with their work. They are amazing; here are a few of their best pieces.

Two Steps From Hell are the quintessential "epic neo-classic music" (or whatever you'd label them). Never been a big fan though, I always feel like I've heard it before. That's just my taste though, couldn't tell you why TSFH doesn't grab me. They're definitely very good at what they do.

In the interest of making this a Fun Sharing Time, I'm going to show you some epic orchestral stuff I actually digged quite a lot at the time, although listening to it now makes me cringe a little with nostalgic glee. I don't know if this is technically any better than TSFH, but it's in the same vein.

3 hours ago, Caledonian said:

and if you want obscure music, come to the Fields of Folk! 

This guy's voice reminds me a lot of Gogol Bordello, something about his accent. Gogol Bordello's more gypsy punk though, less rock/metal oriented like this. Also reminds me of Alestorm, or any other folk metal band like that. I'm not a big fan of Alestorm though, and not overly familiar with Gogol Bordello either. In my search for more variations of folk metal though, I found a really cool Mongolian folk metal band called Tengger Cavalry, if you're into this kind of thing. They remind me a bit of some of what I've heard from Two Steps From Hell as well, for some reason. I'm not a big lyrics guy, so I don't mind that it's in Mongolian (I assume anyway, lmao).

One main guy from this band, Nature Ganganbaigal does a lot of cool traditional Mongolian folk music as well, which is good fun to listen to.

When it comes to my own music, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I think my general thing is that I find a choice band for each musical niche to cling to, like a dragon protecting his treasure hoard. All the more names to drop in case I find myself in a dick waving contest. Part of that is accepting that, say it with me, I Am Not Too Goo For Pop Music. I'll try anything, and still haven't quite developed a sense for like and dislike, out of an egotistical refusal to seem the least bit close-minded.

I think a lot of the time it's context which drives my taste in music; enjoying the story I've built up around the music more than the music itself (and maybe that's the mindset of a lot of people). So I'll find a bit of Katy Perry I like and enjoy listening to it because it makes me feel down-to-earth, and then listen to some Korean or Cambodian music because I like to remember the steps it took me to get there, and remember how it felt to find something I enjoyed further afield.

This one, Haenim by Kim Jung Mi, came up as a recommendation by Spotify, and I recognised it immediately from the soundtrack of The Double. A lot of my affection from the song comes from the fact that I was feeling pretty desperate and anxious when I first found it, and in the movie it's played at the end, after the main character's come out the victor over a doppelganger who was taking over and ruining his life. It's got a kind of tired, peaceful atmosphere about it, and gives me a sense of accomplishment against difficult odds.

Spotify also recommended me Dengue Fever, a Cambodian garage rock band. I like to see where and how western music influences other cultures' music. Cambodia has an interesting history with western influence, and I spent a while trying to explore different artists like Sinn Sisamouth, but I only really came away with Dengue Fever, who I'l keep going back to for a while until I rest on a few select tracks like Sni Bong and this one:

That said, I'm currently listening to Aura by Lady Gaga, because ARTPOP was actually pretty good, and this track does some cool things, despite being embarrassingly poppy.

Edited by Teto
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Teto said:

Gogol Bordello's more gypsy punk though, less rock/metal oriented like this. Also reminds me of Alestorm, or any other folk metal band like that. I'm not a big fan of Alestorm though, and not overly familiar with Gogol Bordello either. In my search for more variations of folk metal though, I found a really cool Mongolian folk metal band called Tengger Cavalry, if you're into this kind of thing.

eh, yes obviously. 
I started this thread in the Tube 

also, the Royal spuds are a folk punk (MASHED POTATO) band, not unlike bands like Flogging Molly

I'll have to agree this thread is pretentious, frick ur bad vibes bro heres some shit music :v

Great music is really too broad of an opinion to share. I admit simply listening to whatever popular shows up on the radio kind of sucks since they only put up certain songs and artists only, but thats not to say a majority of the stuff on the radio is awful simply because it was featured on the radio.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Caledonian said:

eh, yes obviously. 

I was just making conversation dude, not trying to school you. Don't let my idle chit-chat bruise your ego, I can only comment from my experience and perspective, and I did join literally last night. Where in Scotland are you based out of interest?

12 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I'll have to agree this thread is pretentious, frick ur bad vibes bro heres some shit music :v

Great music is really too broad of an opinion to share. I admit simply listening to whatever popular shows up on the radio kind of sucks since they only put up certain songs and artists only, but thats not to say a majority of the stuff on the radio is awful simply because it was featured on the radio.

I'm with you. The whole "new music is shit!" attitude is garbage. I was at a party once and my friend was arguing that the oldies are the best, and that there are no good new artists. Then Lightning Bolt by Jake Bugg comes on with it's old-timey rock vibe and he proclaims, as people stream to the dance floor, "see! put on an old tune and everybody's up!", to which I had to remind him that Jake Bugg is actually younger than us both. "You know what I mean," he protested.

Here's the only Lady Gaga song I care for right now.

6 minutes ago, Teto said:

I was just making conversation dude, not trying to school you. Don't let my idle chit-chat bruise your ego, I can only comment from my experience and perspective, and I did join literally last night. Where in Scotland are you based out of interest?

I'm with you. The whole "new music is shit!" attitude is garbage. I was at a party once and my friend was arguing that the oldies are the best, and that there are no good new artists. Then Lightning Bolt by Jake Bugg comes on with it's old-timey rock vibe and he proclaims, as people stream to the dance floor, "see! put on an old tune and everybody's up!", to which I had to remind him that Jake Bugg is actually younger than us both. "You know what I mean," he protested.

Here's the only Lady Gaga song I care for right now.

Oh! Dont misunderstand me Im not hurt :) i just chose the wrong wording! I appreciate the chat!

im based in Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands. I'm caledophile not actually caledonian :( sadly.

23 minutes ago, Teto said:

You are misunderstanding what I said....I never stated that all new music was trash, just that the vast majority of mainstream music IS. If I really thought that modern/new music was trash then that would rule out my favorite composers, TSFH, which qualifies as modern music. xD Trust me, I'm not one of those guys that gets off to moaning about "The good ole' days" of music...I really don't care for classic rock to be honest.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Oh! Dont misunderstand me Im not hurt :) i just chose the wrong wording! I appreciate the chat!

im based in Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands. I'm caledophile not actually caledonian :( sadly.

Ah, I'm being unduly snarky and confrontational then. I guess we just react to what we expect, and I mistook you for being a snob. Sorry. I'm not even totally sure what Caledonian means tbh, apart from it referring to Scotland or part of Scotland?

I'll post some music inspired by you and your interests. Peatbog Faeries are good but the only song I'd link would be Room 215, and that's not on Youtube. So here's Shooglenifty instead. I like my fusion stuff.

If you were ever really into the Spyro soundtrack, I recommend Shooglenifty. 

Also, Steam Powered Sheep, do you know Steam Powered Giraffe? I love this nerd band so much, and I die for those harmonies.

1 minute ago, KryptoKroenen said:

You are misunderstanding what I said....I never stated that all new music was trash, just that the vast majority of mainstream music IS. If I really thought that modern/new music was trash then that would rule out my favorite composers, TSFH, which qualifies as modern music. xD Trust me, I'm not one of those guys that gets off to moaning about "The good ole' days" of music...I really don't care for classic rock to be honest.

Ah right, I get you, I was going off on a more specific group of people. This "let me explain" party is off the hook.

If you haven't listened to Warren Zevon, you really should. He was a strange case because his work was highly acclaimed by those in the know, but he never became very popular and had to fight to keep a record label.

Also, have you guys heard St. Vincent?? I have no clue if she's well-known or not but she's one of the extremely few modern artists I listen to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Teto said:

Ah, I'm being unduly snarky and confrontational then. I guess we just react to what we expect, and I mistook you for being a snob. Sorry. I'm not even totally sure what Caledonian means tbh, apart from it referring to Scotland or part of Scotland?

I'll post some music inspired by you and your interests. Peatbog Faeries are good but the only song I'd link would be Room 215, and that's not on Youtube. So here's Shooglenifty instead. I like my fusion stuff.

If you were ever really into the Spyro soundtrack, I recommend Shooglenifty. 

Also, Steam Powered Sheep, do you know Steam Powered Giraffe? I love this nerd band so much, and I die for those harmonies.

Ah right, I get you, I was going off on a more specific group of people. This "let me explain" party is off the hook.

STEAM POWERED GIRAFFE IS, LIKE, ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS. 

As a steampunk, steampunk music lies close to the heart. SPG, abney Park, the men that will not be blamed for nothing, the Dark Design... All bands that i love <3

caledonia is a fancy word for scotland. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Also, have you guys heard St. Vincent?? I have no clue if she's well-known or not but she's one of the extremely few modern artists I listen to.

St. Vincent is def one of my favourite artists. I was a fan since Actor and really loved her self titled. She did a big media blitz in the run up to that album and it payed off. She's not quite a household name but she feels more substantial than an indie darling on the music scene now, even on stage with Beck and Taylor Swift at one point. Hopefully she'll occupy a place of respect for a good few years.

Here's more St. Vincent, in a style I'd like to hear more of.

• Like 1