why are you a -your species here-

Caledonian

why did you pick this animal? of all animals you could possibly choose you chose -your species-

why?

I personally chose a ram because there is so many carnivores around I wanted to pick a herbivorous animal, but I did want to have something visible appealing in a way that would still give my sona something...i don't know the word. but HORNS, that was the solution. this leaves cows and sheep. and sheep just are fluffy and nice so well....and I wanted something scottish(for reasons).... in retrospect I could have picked a 'heeland coo' though. well, too late for that.

2769467.jpg

prize-winning-sheep.jpg

• Like 1

I don't remember how I got introduced to sergals, but I effectively killed my arctic fox for it and haven't regretted changing to a derplesergle often.

They just look lean and mean and since they're not exactly real you can go wild with the design. Also the lore was ok-ish so there was nothing to hate about that.

They're also fun as shit to draw

I'm a fox, a fox, a flippidy flops ^-^

But yeah I picked a fox because I always thought they were such awesome and mysterious creatures, my persona was modeled after a nihilistic character from a story I wrote who I thourogly enjoyed writing about so I kept him as my persona... instant addition to the growling fox army

I like to keep to myself most of the time, generally my own room (or cave).  I noticed a trend in fiction where people would often seek out the dragon for assistance or knowledge and more often than not that's what happens in my life.  I don't shun company, I just don't go seeking it, and more often than not my friendships don't tend to last that long anyway.

Considering I'm a bit of a thermophobe as well, and people consider me to be quite cold at times, I guess I couldn't really be all fiery either.

I guess there's also the typical arrogance and perfectionism to really seal the deal. xD

Edited by Zytan

I feel like being a dog suited me. Other than canines being adorable AF, dogs are unabashedly joyful, loving, and affectionate. They rarely act haughty or turn their noses up at people, and they want for little as long as they have a full tummy, a place to stretch their legs, and a little bit of TLC. If somebody were to describe me that way I think I wouldn't mind it one bit. I aspire to that actually.

14 minutes ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Honestly I always preferred a persona over a fursona, simply because I love who I am and I would never want to be anything other than what I am. :D I had a friend do my avatar based on a real life pic.

Lame :V (JK thats actually p cool, self portraits in art form are always fun, too)

OT: mine wouldnt be a simple answer. For one, I have a deeply intricate connection to canids since my youth, as in my obsession and love of them was very close to myself and my identity in a personal way. I chosw the wolf as my favorite canid long ago because of all the amazing canids that exist (there really is so many amazing ones, domestic and otherwise) Canis Lupus and its variants are the top tier canids of the hierarchy, so I chose that. Personalitywise, I could say they fit because Im both a lone wolf (for the most part) and a pack member...if I dont fit in I will be a recluse. If I do, I have an undying loyalty to those I consider my 'pack'.

Winged/Avian Wolf hybrid came only a bit later. Back when I first joined the internet I noticed a lot of beautiful winged canid art (foxes and wolves) and honestly I adored the concept of wings on a creature that wouldnt ordinarily have them, it gives of a fantastical vibe. On top of that, I was deeply entrenched in the maximum ride series at the time, a sci fi story about winged human/avian hybrids on the run and trying to survive. That's sort of how I imagine my life, just wandering and on the run, seeking bold new things and searching for stability. 

I had a lot of recurring dreams of flying, with or without wings. These were probably some of my most vivid and powerful dreams. The sense of flight and freedom and power, being able to do something impossible in the dreamscape and feeling as if it were reality.

So the creation of my wolvian was a bit of a mix of internal meaning, adoration, and fantasy...but in a way that all combines to make..."me"

Im sure Vance easily could come off as a sparkledog with stapled on wings though :P (I realize many would find special limbs on an animal whos not supposed to have them tacky and sparkledog-ish)

I don't know if I'll ever go for the whole fursona thing. I only anticipating making characters, but I can see myself potentially identifying with one to the point where I use them as a mouthpiece to express my own views, and by that I could potentially end up with a fursona, as just an avatar for myself. 

What is a fursona to people anyway? Just that; a character they use as a personal avatar?

9 minutes ago, Teto said:

What is a fursona to people anyway? Just that; a character they use as a personal avatar?

To some people it's just an avatar. Other people get a whole lot more involved. Apart from being an avatar my fursona has become somewhat of a second identity. He's also kind of got a life of his own considering that he began as a roleplay character. Different strokes for different folks I s'pose~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teto said:

My fursona is just an avatar I use to represent myself in the fandom. It's kind of like a self identifier, like an online handle. It's also a "main character" that I like to get art of.

1 hour ago, Teto said:

I don't know if I'll ever go for the whole fursona thing. I only anticipating making characters, but I can see myself potentially identifying with one to the point where I use them as a mouthpiece to express my own views, and by that I could potentially end up with a fursona, as just an avatar for myself. 

It's mostly just a visual identifier in the fandom. More or less an avatar you can do much more with. Flesh it out well enough and you can write, draw them in adventures or scenarios and whatever.

Rey is basically a representation of myself, albeit a step to the better and two backwards kind of persona I could use for stories or RP.. Otherwise he's just well fleshed out avatar source material.

I was 14 and wolves looked cool at the time. I was also still in my emo phase I guess and I wanted a cool and edgy looking fursona. it's funny because I was never really that wild about my main fursona's design to begin with but I was also too lazy to redesign him. wolves/canines were also easy for me to draw at the time

I still have no clue why I made the weird dragon

5 minutes ago, willow said:

I was 14 and wolves looked cool at the time. I was also still in my emo phase I guess and I wanted a cool and edgy looking fursona. it's funny because I was never really that wild about my main fursona's design to begin with but I was also too lazy to redesign him. wolves/canines were also easy for me to draw at the time

I still have no clue why I made the weird dragon

Speaking of which, when I was clearing out my old FA account I found this old garbage from 5 years ago:

1280631553.7eto_willow.png

Don't know what that came out of. 5 years ago though, pffft.

The creation of characters seems really interesting to me; I can almost see them as being self-constructed role models; encapsulating your best features, some of your favourite flaws, and a few aspirations. Identifying with role models is a key thing in building your identity and growing as a person, probably. Identifying with qualities you want to mirror, as inspiration. Not that I've done enough psychology to speak about that with authority though.

I have a couple characters in my head I'm thinking of starting to develop. Maybe sometime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teto said:

Speaking of which, when I was clearing out my old FA account I found this old garbage from 5 years ago:

1280631553.7eto_willow.png

Don't know what that came out of. 5 years ago though, pffft.

I honestly have no clue either, but think I still have that picture somewhere on my computer too lol

• Like 1

When I got into the fandom, I wanted an avatar like all the other firfigs. Reptiles look cool, but I didn't really feel any connection to any particular species, so I invented one I thought would look cool.

A few years later, and I'm still not cool.

A valuable lesson was learned.

Edited by Newt
  • Like 1

Wolves always have interested me, I always thought they looked cool and I loved the personality associated with them, the loyalty, etc.

Otters because they're cute, playful, silly, but vicious when need be.

So I was a wolf until the otter seed was planted inside me :v

It'd be nice if I could say I chose a dingo because of some unique and interesting reason, but that would be bullshit.

I chose it because the fur is pretty.

Tan fur looks good on many many things and it totally deserves respect.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

Edited by DrDingo

I don't really have a connection to an animal, I'm happy with being human. Alex the dragon was probably the closest thing I ever got to a 'sona' but after I stopped making comics, I stopped drawing him. I started working on redesigning an old gator oc but due to my pickiness, it probably will never be finalized. In the past even tried to design a couple pokesonas to use with the forum comic (since it's kind of a requirement to have a sona to participate) which I must admit was rather silly.

4 hours ago, KryptoKroenen said:

Honestly I always preferred a persona over a fursona, simply because I love who I am and I would never want to be anything other than what I am. :D I had a friend do my avatar based on a real life pic.

It is a cool avi. I like it.

Edited by Maug
  • Like 1

I've had like, way too many fursonas, and I had a reason for each one but I keep coming back to bird-based creatures and gryphons, specifically vultures.

I've loved gryphons since I was a little kid and I used to draw them all the time. Vultures are huge and lovely and eat horrible things and projectile vomit, why wouldn't you want to be a vulture?

I've had a lot of canine fursonas but they never really stick. :u

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MagnusGear said:

I've had like, way too many fursonas, and I had a reason for each one but I keep coming back to bird-based creatures and gryphons, specifically vultures.

I've loved gryphons since I was a little kid and I used to draw them all the time. Vultures are huge and lovely and eat horrible things and projectile vomit, why wouldn't you want to be a vulture?

I've had a lot of canine fursonas but they never really stick. :u

Gryphons are pretty awesome. I tried designing a gryphon sona once. Maugryph was once the name of that gryphon until I decided to use it as my 'internet' name

12-09-2013-maugryph-gryphon.thumb.jpg.5e

Also if you're interested in how terrible I used to draw:

maugryph1.thumb.jpg.bc77d35de84cf6705fbc

I chose a lion cause I'm that kid that grew up on Lion King and watched the VHS till it literally broke. I've harbored a love for lions my entire life. Eventually I found my way onto a broswer-based SIM game where you could have your own pride and stuff, and I ended up creating the basic design for Aaria. At first she was just a character, but over time she grew more important and took more precedence over my other creations. Then one day it hit me: Aaria was my fursona. She was everything I wanted to be. Cocky, prideful, confident, charming, all those awesome things. So I got someone to make her an anthro and just....YES. That was it. Boom. Done and done. I still see her as a better, if somewhat less realistic, version of myself. I have a pretty deep connection to her.

My species is a mix between bovines and lizards. Bulls are proud, confident and hotheaded; cows aren't too bright but they're sociable, tame. Lizards are easy fugitives, one can say that they're ''shy'' in a way and they're solitary. I behave like either of these animals periodically which reflects my moody personality