why are you a -your species here-

Caledonian

If I had to say what truly influenced my choice it would Neon Genesis Evangelion. There was an episode titled 'Hedgehog's Dilemma'. In this episode the relationships of the MC, Shinji Ikari, were analyzed and discussed by his superiors.

They described Shinji as suffering from the Hedghog's Dilemma (also known as the Porcupine's Dilemma); this hit home and hit me hard when I was younger. Because of this I was able to grow into the social person I am, albeit still wary around others.

I chose a Porcupine (Brush-Tailed to be specific) for aesthetic reasons. SOOO cute.

tumblr_mm3jq8BzKe1sntiu8o1_400.jpg.f7e20
-------

(From Wiki)
The Hedghog/Porcupine dilemma, is a metaphor about the challenges of human intimacy. It describes a situation in which a group of hedgehogs all seek to become close to one another in order to share heat during cold weather. They must remain apart, however, as they cannot avoid hurting one another with their sharp spines. Though they all share the intention of a close reciprocal relationship, this may not occur, for reasons they cannot avoid.

Both Arthur Schopenhauer and Sigmund Freud have used this situation to describe what they feel is the state of individual in relation to others in society. The hedgehog's dilemma suggests that despite goodwill, human intimacy cannot occur without substantial mutual harm, and what results is cautious behavior and weak relationships. With the hedgehog's dilemma, one is recommended to use moderation in affairs with others both because of self-interest, as well as out of consideration for others. The hedgehog's dilemma is used to explain introversion and isolationism.

• Like 5

Must have been nearly 10 years ago.  I picked up some informational book on all the different canine species at a library to use as reference for drawing, and I ended up being really fascinated by it and read it almost page-by-page instead.  I never heard of them before, but maned wolves really stood out to me and have been my favourite animal ever since.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Newt said:

I call them "Gangle Dogs".

Stilt Puppies

@Vaer That is legitimately the most interesting piece of information I've herd in a long, longtime. Im very intrigued...and your reasoning is quite deep, Im impessed. Couldnt have liked your post harder, good sir

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 2

Another thread reminded me I happened to choose particular species for my fursona, because Im a nerd that likes to go deep as all heck

Florida Black Wolf: For location reasons

(Leucistic) Eurasian Griffon Vulture:

https://cogitz.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/sky-burial-eco-friendly-funerals/

This one in particular I saw on a documentary once and I was amazed.

As a winged creature, particularly in anthro form, my fursona could be mistaken for being angelic when such is not the case. Rather, he as an avian hybrid.

In Tibet the residents perform rituals known as 'sky burials' in which they feed the body to the vultures as an offering. The vultures are considered to be 'sky angels' and carry the vessel with them to the heavens. 

However this does not mean my 'sona eats human flesh :v

I used to have a wolf character but it didn't feel right making her my fursona (she is still a side character and she is where I got my username from). As for my current fursona, she is a mishmash of animals. I was originally toying with a bat, rat, cat, or dog but I finally decided with my hybrid as I knew for sure that I wanted a large tail and set of ears, both with rounded tips. Since then I have been developing the lore of her species~

I blame Second Life and other VR technologies for making this possible. Given the choice, I become a flying canine humanoid with wings. It seems strangely natural for me. Aerodynamic and anatomical absurdities aside, wings look cool and are like having your own built-in jet pack. B|

It also doesn't hurt that I can trace aspects of my fursona back to when I was a kid.

• 4 weeks later...

contrary to one comment I saw on here, I have always preferred a "fursona" to a persona. When I was young and before I even knew what furries were I used to pretend to be animals, portray / draw myself as animals or characters such as a Yoshi, Neopets, Pokemon etc. When was about 7-8 years old I actually designed myself an official "fursona" (once again, I didn't find out what furries were until I was 15) that was a combination between something like a macaw and a kangaroo, it was essentially a kangaroo with vestigial wings and a beak (now imagine an awkward female who would run around flailing and hopping and squawking at her schoolmates during elementary school recess).

Anyway, when I first entered the furry fandom I joined as a Maiasaura (duck-billed dinosaur) by essentially rebooting an old Dinotopia OC that I used to roleplay as during middle school recess with my friends. It was fitting, as Maiasaura were sort of deemed the Prehistoric mustang / horse, after about a year I grew out of that though, as the character was more of a front than a true representation of myself. 

I still am actually fond of the kangaroo/parrot hybrid creature that I created in my childhood (I've since named her Quarro) and I could honestly easily see myself as being a kangaroo as well (some say they are even the deer or Australia hahah) though I changed my true / modern fursona to a whitetail deer for a few reasons

- Although I enjoy hybrids, I wanted something that was like a solid representation of how I would exist / be transformed in this world today as a real living animal. I have experience being around deer and they live in my direct environment as well. I needed something that aligned with my exact personality and that I also liked projecting myself onto.
- It's always been easier for me to connect to prey animals rather than predators (cats, wolves) due to their very observant and sensitive nature. I experimented in the beginning, even considering having a Gerbil fursona, and eventually thought I should make my fursona horse, as I rode horses as a child and grew up around them, so it's always been easier for me to read their social cues and behaviors even in comparison to dogs / cats. However, I later realized how deer were similar, but just different enough in a way that it seemed to align with how I felt I would be. A little less dependent than a horse, a little less aloof and a bit more "opinionated"/stubborn that horses, overall a lot more cautious and non-confrontational (though whitetail doe have been noted to get into family banter very often heheh), but once actually confronted more likely to stick around for a fight. 
- deer are pretty :) hooves are way better than paws in my opinion. They're a bit frailer looking than horses (though still quite strong!) and a bit more graceful and lanky and can sneak around a lot easier. I'm a pretty small, fragile person heheh.
- Okay, this might be a bit of a kicker for some... I potentially believe that I have an affinity for deer due to familial spiritual relations with / though them. I in no way consider myself a Therian / Otherkin (though I don't have issue with those who do) however I've always believed in animal "totems" and enjoyed studying cultures that used shamanism / totemism. I've had several physical experiences with specific deer encounters throughout my life, and so has my father, that led me to believe this but I won't go into long stories now. I was raised in a religious household so I will share this though: my father once told me "God leaves messages to different people in different forms and for me, they're through deer." which was sort of a mindblowing statement to hear from a man who was not only raised a strict catholic but also in knowing that I had felt / had experiences similar to his without even knowing he had some of the same at the time. So after that I went through some deep introspection-

-and basically that's why my fursona is a whitetail deer :) 

I don't identify with my characters because I am not an insane schizophrenic, and have a total of zero (0) headmates.

My ex suggested my main character be a Tasmanian devil because I am:::

: Noisy but ultimately harmless
: Tiny but fierce (164cm) :E
: Mercurial and unpredictable
: In possession of a bite force of up to 553 N (124 lbf)

13 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Cuz I'm gay.

I think I already posted, but I was talking about this in way too much personal detail with someone yesterday so I'm kinda thinking about it more. Which is weird, since I already know the answer for the most part. 

No you're super gay!

i chose red panda/genet mix cuz theyre two of my favourite animals... when i first found out genets existed i was like 6 or 7 and ive loved em ever since and always wanted one as a pet (tho i dont think thats realistic lol). red pandas are so silly and cute and i love em too!

About... 10 or so years ago, I was dating a guy.

My first boyfriend, I was young and kinda dumb, but hopelessly romantic.

So, his character was a bunny, and I decided, it'd be cute if we both were.

Anyway, it stuck. And I've changed it a bit gradually over time, but, it's still basically a bunny, of sorts.

5 hours ago, Cingal said:

About... 10 or so years ago, I was dating a guy.

My first boyfriend, I was young and kinda dumb, but hopelessly romantic.

So, his character was a bunny, and I decided, it'd be cute if we both were.

Anyway, it stuck. And I've changed it a bit gradually over time, but, it's still basically a bunny, of sorts.

Bunnies are qt m8

• Like 1

Truthfully, it was because of a certain Disney movie. I watched Robin Hood (betcha thought it was gonna be Zootopia) when I was a kid and it kinda got me interested in Foxes.

Y'see, I saw Robin Hood as a super hero (at that point in time, 1994, Batman was the only actual super hero I was aware of) even if he didn't wear a cape and blatantly stole from the wealthy. He got the girl, he was DAMN good with a bow (it would be a decade before an animated bowman of equal skill would show up), and he didn't take shit from so-called "authority".

I used to have another Fursona (however briefly that was) back in middle school; a hybrid Velociraptor/Dilophosaurus (spitter from Jurassic Park) with a name that's since been lost to a mental breakdown.

Edited by Strangefox32000